Turn on thread page Beta

I would agree with the comments above, but you have to ask yourself why are they not teaching Mandarin in schools. Its clearly the language of the future. But the problem is we simply learn them to late. A language i.e French, should be taught throughout primary school I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondgeezer)
    I would agree with the comments above, but you have to ask yourself why are they not teaching Mandarin in schools. Its clearly the language of the future. But the problem is we simply learn them to late. A language i.e French, should be taught throughout primary school I believe.
    Yeah I said the government are going to introduce Mandarin and Arabic to schools soon as well as teaching languages from the age of 7 soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamondgeezer)
    In schools in the north east, schools are starting to teach their primary school pupils foreign languages, and quite a few primary schools have taken up Mandarin, being taught by Chinese people. French, naturally is still the leader in the languages division up here, but language learning in primary schools is definitely on the agenda and is quite rightly, the way forward I think the earlier we start learning languages, the more we'll enjoy them at GCSE and A-Level, because we should be able to speak at GCSE standard in year 8, for example, and at current A-level standard at GCSE. Well that's my theory anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dans)
    English does have the subjunctive. Famously in 'Let it be' being just one example.
    I stand corrected I suppose we don't notice it consciously when we say it every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    It does . Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjunc...ress_a_purpose.
    Funny thing is I've read that article before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calcium878)
    Funny thing is I've read that article before
    Amazing what we forget, isn't it? I can remember when my German teacher first introduced the subjunctive and no one could understand it. At first I thought the subjunctive was a Germanic concept and was surprised to discover that it is used all over the world .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    Amazing what we forget, isn't it? I can remember when my German teacher first introduced the subjunctive and no one could understand it. At first I thought the subjunctive was a Germanic concept and was surprised to discover that it is used all over the world .
    The French subjunctive is nice, any quite easy to understand. Very useful aswell ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    The French subjunctive is nice, any quite easy to understand. Very useful aswell ;yes;
    'Why didn't I do A-level French?' :p: The German subjunctive isn't that hard; adjective endings, on the other hand, are a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    I like French language, I just hate the A-level. If I wanted to have to learn and regurgitate facts, I'd have done Biology....:p:

ReputationRep:
    I like French language, I just hate the A-level. If I wanted to have to learn and regurgitate facts, I'd have done Biology....:p:
    If it's any comfort, I found A2 much better than AS. I noticed on another thread that you do AQA, and even though I do German the same applies for French: The coursework element is great for getting a lot of UMS marks in the bag at an early stage; then all you have to do is prepare for the speaking exam, which does not take long. The only real difference between the AS and A2 listening/reading paper is the translation section; once you've attempted 5 or more past papers you should notice that the person who writes them often repeats certain words and phases and it is easy to pick up marks.

The AS Unit 2 exam is the worst it gets, in my opinion . My teacher gave me a book of 100 facts/statistics to learn for it, which I thought was unnecessary. A lot of my friends who got A's overall got D's and E's on that unit.

I know what you mean about regurgitation... you wouldn't think we were learning a language would you?

ReputationRep:
    That's true, one of the only reasons I'm considering carrying it on is because I can get a third of next years course out of the way in a few weeks, and I'll only really need to remember facts for the oral next summer.
    I should be ok with Unit 4, translations are my forté really

And I know what you mean for FR02, I learnt tonnes of facts, (because I didn't want to narrow my options too much), and the exam just felt like regurgitation :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    That's true, one of the only reasons I'm considering carrying it on is because I can get a third of next years course out of the way in a few weeks, and I'll only really need to remember facts for the oral next summer.
    I should be ok with Unit 4, translations are my forté really

And I know what you mean for FR02, I learnt tonnes of facts, (because I didn't want to narrow my options too much), and the exam just felt like regurgitation :afraid:
    Yeah don't drop French; you'll regret it. I finished my coursework in the first term but my teacher didn't give me my marks until recently - 29/30 and 28/30. I chose really simple topics, which didn't require a lot of research and yet allowed me to analyse something in depth. The key to doing well in coursework is evaluating effectively - 'what are the implications of x for Germany', 'what could people do in Germany to improve the situation', 'is enough being done in Germany to combat x', etc.

The A2 oral exam is great! I remember dreading my AS one but this year I had so much more knowledge of grammar and the language itself that I could think spontaneously and have a 'normal' conversation. You will improve so much between now and next summer, trust me .

And you're fine with translations... looks like the decision has already been made for you . How do you think your AS-level went?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    Yeah don't drop French; you'll regret it. I finished my coursework in the first term but my teacher didn't give me my marks until recently - 29/30 and 28/30. I chose really simple topics, which didn't require a lot of research and yet allowed me to analyse something in depth. The key to doing well in coursework is evaluating effectively - 'what are the implications of x for Germany', 'what could people do in Germany to improve the situation', 'is enough being done in Germany to combat x', etc.

The A2 oral exam is great! I remember dreading my AS one but this year I had so much more knowledge of grammar and the language itself that I could think spontaneously and have a 'normal' conversation. You will improve so much between now and next summer, trust me .

And you're fine with translations... looks like the decision has already been made for you . How do you think your AS-level went?
    The AS was ok, FR01 was easy, FR02 went fine but my mark could be anywhere between 70% and 95% due to the way the marks vary as you mention, and FR03 went pretty nice too. I'll be disappointed not to get an A.

I think I'd enjoy A2 French, I just don't want to overload myself - I'll be doing A2 Physics, Chemistry; AS+A2 Further Maths and General Studies, with the possibility of STEP/AEA papers.

We'll see on the 16th I suppose

ReputationRep:
    The AS was ok, FR01 was easy, FR02 went fine but my mark could be anywhere between 70% and 95% due to the way the marks vary as you mention, and FR03 went pretty nice too. I'll be disappointed not to get an A.

I think I'd enjoy A2 French, I just don't want to overload myself - I'll be doing A2 Physics, Chemistry; AS+A2 Further Maths and General Studies, with the possibility of STEP/AEA papers.

We'll see on the 16th I suppose
    Wow that is a lot . Anyway I think if you get an A at AS you should carry it on because languages are brilliant . Do you think you are a natural linguist? I think that is why I enjoy learning a language so much.

ReputationRep:
    I stand corrected I suppose we don't notice it consciously when we say it every day.
    the verbs are no different in english...some of them are in french & other languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A SoapBubble)
    the verbs are no different in english...some of them are in french & other languages
    Indeed, that's why I originally dismissed the idea (somewhat stupidly) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    Wow that is a lot . Anyway I think if you get an A at AS you should carry it on because languages are brilliant . Do you think you are a natural linguist? I think that is why I enjoy learning a language so much.
    I'm not sure if I'm a natural linguist or just good at learning things, which comes in useful for languages. I've never had to revise because things just stick, this may be the case in French for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brown)
    i think i am i've always found them fairly easy, and a lot of fun!

ReputationRep:
    Qui va étudier les langues à la Fac?

ReputationRep:
    moi, je etudierai francais et espagnol....ou peut-etre allemand.

(cant do accents, sorry)

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.