Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Poooky)
    If you got into a (real) relationship now, would you tell them that you were a catfish for 10 years?
    Hahaha, no! I can't even post this off anonymous, let alone tell anyone irl.
    Also, I'm female and I was a boy catfish, so I don't think a future guy I date would react well to that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Do you not think you should seek a therapist or possibly even a psychiatrist to talk about your state of mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hahaha, no! I can't even post this off anonymous, let alone tell anyone irl.
    Also, I'm female and I was a boy catfish, so I don't think a future guy I date would react well to that.
    Haha fair enough! But not even when you're several years into the relationship? Or do you think it's something you'll never bring up irl, with anyone?

Thanks for the answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    EW are the initials of a TSR member who was permabanned not long ago.
    Ethereal World?
    Was that a fake account...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Do you not think you should seek a therapist or possibly even a psychiatrist to talk about your state of mind?
    I did think about it over the years, but that can only help to an extent.
    One of the people I catfished spent thousands of pounds on therapy due to things that happened in her past and her mental health issues and it hardly changed anything. Therapy does not fix you.

Imo I've done well to have let go and completely removed it from my life without needing to confide in anyone.

Ultimately it's down to the person them self to deal with and get over the issues inside their mind.

(Original post by Poooky)
    Haha fair enough! But not even when you're several years into the relationship? Or do you think it's something you'll never bring up irl, with anyone?

Thanks for the answers
    I could never trust anyone knowing this and I'll never get close to telling anyone irl. I'd be as naive as the people who I catfished if I went and told someone about these years of secrecy.

People who I used to think I could trust with my life have betrayed me too much for me not to believe that someone would hold this against me if things ever turned sour.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    One of the people I catfished spent thousands of pounds on therapy due to things that happened in her past and her mental health issues and it hardly changed anything. Therapy does not fix you.

Imo I've done well to have let go and completely removed it from my life without needing to confide in anyone.

Ultimately it's down to the person them self to deal with and get over the issues inside their mind.
    You have no regret over hurting people, and you come across as very sociopathic in terms of not caring for anyone else but yourself and you seem little sorry for the actions you have done.

I'm not judging but maybe you do need to see a therapist or a psychiatrist to determine something like a neurological disease you have? I mean, you might just be cray cray without a mental heal illness, but why do you so refuse to see a psychiatrist?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper

You have no regret over hurting people, and you come across as very sociopathic in terms of not caring for anyone else but yourself and you seem little sorry for the actions you have done.

I'm not judging but maybe you do need to see a therapist or a psychiatrist to determine something like a neurological disease you have? I mean, you might just be cray cray without a mental heal illness, but why do you so refuse to see a psychiatrist?

Not exactly. A number of people I got involved with happened to have issues of their own and the amount of hours I invested in listening to them rant about their lives, being there for them at all times and trying to help them with their problems would suggest I was empathetic.

I ended up getting too involved with some people when feelings got in the way, but I know that me being there and feeding their ego all the time kept them going and got them out of some tough times and I never asked for anything in return.

I didn't just care about myself. The 'relationships' were one sided if anything, 70-80% about them, 30-20% about me. Do you know how draining it is when people are that self absorbed?

I'm not sorry or in despair about catfishing because things ended on bad terms and I got hurt and ****ed over too. Obviously it was cruel of me when I knew all along that we'd never meet or anything and I did feel bad at those times, but in the end their actions made it clear that they were not damaged victims and I realised that I deserved better too.

In the last year of catfishing I was emotionally shallow and felt nothing. I stopped showing interest in a close friend/flirtationship (the final person in my catfish life) as she kept speaking about boys non stop. Boys who are into her/who she's slept with, etc. It annoyed and bored me to death and so I left her life. I don't feel bad that I turned into a **** friend because she admitted to someone else that she purposely did that to see if I'd get jealous of her mentioning other guys and that's immature and unreasonable imo. It's a shame because she was my absolute favourite person, but she was toxic in all honesty and began to make me very unhappy so I cut her off.

Ok thanks for your recommendation, but no my life is quite 'ordinary' now and I'm stable and I won't be seeing anyone about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    As someone who's been lied to online, I find that really disgusting. But I'm glad you finally stopped, please realise you might have seriously impacted people's lives and that's not funny. It's devastating for the person who gets deceived.
    whaaat happened? :O
    (you can pm me if you want!)

ReputationRep:
    Yikes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What were you hoping to achieve by catfishing people?

(Original post by goam)
    To experience what it's like to be the guy in a relationship.

I took on a boy persona and got consumed in it because girls are generally much better at holiding conversations and are far more interesting to speak to, in my opinion. Girls have so much more depth to their personalities and it's much more fascinating getting to know them. Girls are better flirts, they don't ask for nudes, and they stay interested and loyal longer.
    Tbh I don't think my real self will ever have a connection with any guy in the future as strong as the connections I had with the girls that I catfished.

It was really easy being a boy catfish because girls were never interested in me sending them selfies or anything, whereas guys are much more beggy and ask for this stuff all the time.

It's like Beyonce - If I were a boy:
    "If I were a boy
    I think I could understand
    How it feels to love a girl
    I swear I'd be a better man
    I'd listen to her
    'Cause I know how it hurts"

It was exactly this.

(Original post by goam)
    Also, it was really satisfying to be someone incomparable to anyone else they knew. They'd say things like "you're so different from any other guy I've known" and to be treated better because of how respectful I was. Like.. I was never interested in getting nudes or anything else guys ask for from a girl, I never asked for them.

Another example is with a girl I was close friends with. She'd say I was "the only guy who doesn't ask 'can I join you' whenever she said she was going to go shower and I was 'the only guy who didn't hit on' her or make her feel uncomfortable.

It was just satisfying to be a better boy than the real ones out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercuryman)
    whaaat happened? :O
    (you can pm me if you want!)
    It's a looong ass story, people who I tell say it sounds like an episode of Catfish the TV show. You sure you want to know? I don't mind PMing what happened

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A321)
    Ethereal World?
    Was that a fake account...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, she has a video of herself, she's not fake.

It's a looong ass story, people who I tell say it sounds like an episode of Catfish the TV show. You sure you want to know? I don't mind PMing what happened
    Did you get catfished then?

And are there any other questions you'd like answered?

I hope this thread covers what people want to know from the catfisher's perspective and gives people a better understanding of why it may happen/how to look out for it, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahhhhh man go ahead lol
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Not exactly. A number of people I got involved with happened to have issues of their own and the amount of hours I invested in listening to them rant about their lives, being there for them at all times and trying to help them with their problems would suggest I was empathetic.

I ended up getting too involved with some people when feelings got in the way, but I know that me being there and feeding their ego all the time kept them going and got them out of some tough times and I never asked for anything in return.

I didn't just care about myself. The 'relationships' were one sided if anything, 70-80% about them, 30-20% about me. Do you know how draining it is when people are that self absorbed?

I'm not sorry or in despair about catfishing because things ended on bad terms and I got hurt and ****ed over too. Obviously it was cruel of me when I knew all along that we'd never meet or anything and I did feel bad at those times, but in the end their actions made it clear that they were not damaged victims and I realised that I deserved better too.

In the last year of catfishing I was emotionally shallow and felt nothing. I stopped showing interest in a close friend/flirtationship (the final person in my catfish life) as she kept speaking about boys non stop. Boys who are into her/who she's slept with, etc. It annoyed and bored me to death and so I left her life. I don't feel bad that I turned into a **** friend because she admitted to someone else that she purposely did that to see if I'd get jealous of her mentioning other guys and that's immature and unreasonable imo. It's a shame because she was my absolute favourite person, but she was toxic in all honesty and began to make me very unhappy so I cut her off.

Ok thanks for your recommendation, but no my life is quite 'ordinary' now and I'm stable and I won't be seeing anyone about that.
    So you would have these relationships on screen with both genders? What would you class your sexual orientation then?

So you would have these relationships on screen with both genders? What would you class your sexual orientation then?
    I wasn't interested in speaking to guys through catfishing, although I tried it once at the beginning to see what it was like and I ****ing hated it. Talking to guys bored me to death. They were all the same and only thought with their ****. Terrible at holding a conversation, showing no personality or passion about anything and only caring about sexual things. I wasn't into that at all and so I only spoke to girls for the rest of my catfishing because that's where I made real connections.

As my real self I see myself as straight female, I don't want to be with or do anything sexual with other girls. But as the boy catfish that I created, I was consumed in being that character and those were straight relationships.
    I know that sounds really old, but read my above post about why I catfished girls (if you haven't already seen it) to understand it more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.