Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    I'm normally never up this late but cuz I'm on NCS me and my friends were just messing around - I have to be up at 8am tomorrow too

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was going to do NCS, but then changed my mind. Now they won't leave me alone. The call me, email me, phone me, and it's p***ing me off. Stayed up all night playing 'Blackgate [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pix2015)
    Oh okay thanks.

Only one day? Oh well I suppose week 2 isn't as energy packed as week 1.

Only only chosen to do it as I miss the opportunity last year because I suffer with homesickness, although I still do I decided this year because I need to get over it.

How old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah and it depends on which skill you're doing - I did sport so we did a lot of stuff and a lot of walking around >.> (I'm not joking, we weren't allowed to take the bus from a bus stop before the bus stop specified in the instructions >.>)

Ahhh, yeah hopefully you'll be fine.

I'm 17, I was one of the older ones in the group, about 99% of them were 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mvine001)
    I was going to do NCS, but then changed my mind. Now they won't leave me alone. The call me, email me, phone me, and it's p***ing me off. Stayed up all night playing 'Blackgate [email protected]
    Ugh, I hate how they keep doing that, my friends complained about that too, they just don't get a hint - is that a video game?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah and it depends on which skill you're doing - I did sport so we did a lot of stuff and a lot of walking around >.> (I'm not joking, we weren't allowed to take the bus from a bus stop before the bus stop specified in the instructions >.>)

Ahhh, yeah hopefully you'll be fine.

I'm 17, I was one of the older ones in the group, about 99% of them were 16.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I saw a YouTube video about picking your skill. When do you do that? I haven't had a list to pick from?

Yeah I'm 17 too. I thought there would be more 16 year olds. I was just to worried to do it last year but I am training, I'm sleeping over my next door neighbour's house, so I won't be far away from home

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I saw a YouTube video about picking your skill. When do you do that? I haven't had a list to pick from?

Yeah I'm 17 too. I thought there would be more 16 year olds. I was just to worried to do it last year but I am training, I'm sleeping over my next door neighbour's house, so I won't be far away from home

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Because when you sign up for NCS, you get given a list of skills to pick from and you choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. But I got given my 3rd choice and my 1st choice was photography and somehow a girl in the photography team had chosen sport as her 1st choice and photography as her 3rd choice >.>

Yeah there will be, you might meet a couple of 17 year olds on your wave but I was the only one because my wave only had 28 people (there's usually about 70-80 per wave) Haha, good idea, the 1st week you might struggle though as in most NCS residential places there's no service >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hello!!! :blush:

ReputationRep:
    Really? Because when you sign up for NCS, you get given a list of skills to pick from and you choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. But I got given my 3rd choice and my 1st choice was photography and somehow a girl in the photography team had chosen sport as her 1st choice and photography as her 3rd choice >.>

Yeah there will be, you might meet a couple of 17 year olds on your wave but I was the only one because my wave only had 28 people (there's usually about 70-80 per wave) Haha, good idea, the 1st week you might struggle though as in most NCS residential places there's no service >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, no said nothing about that, the form was about name, wave date, college, medical conditions, dietary requirements, clothing size (for some reason), consent for water activities, advertising, photos, bringing electronics, etc no skill choices

Oh that doesn't bother me so much, they told me that WiFi was available, and I text using WiFi mostly anyway because is free

28? that must have been a nice cozy group.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no said nothing about that, the form was about name, wave date, college, medical conditions, dietary requirements, clothing size (for some reason), consent for water activities, advertising, photos, bringing electronics, etc no skill choices

Oh that doesn't bother me so much, they told me that WiFi was available, and I text using WiFi mostly anyway because is free

28? that must have been a nice cozy group.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Weird - maybe ask at the meeting you have and see why - although at this stage, you'll most likely just be put in a skill set where they have spaces. They ask for clothing size so they can send you your NCS T-shirt (i ordered a small and got a large and I can't wear it and most people were in the same situation)

Really? You get wifi? We didn't :O and all my friends who went on different waves also didn't get any wifi or service. Whereabouts are you going for the first week? I went to Wales

Haha, weirdly, I've only properly talked to about half the group because unless they're in your room, flat or team you won't really know them

Also, I advise you to bring lots of snacks in the first week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Weird - maybe ask at the meeting you have and see why - although at this stage, you'll most likely just be put in a skill set where they have spaces. They ask for clothing size so they can send you your NCS T-shirt (i ordered a small and got a large and I can't wear it and most people were in the same situation)

Really? You get wifi? We didn't :O and all my friends who went on different waves also didn't get any wifi or service. Whereabouts are you going for the first week? I went to Wales

Haha, weirdly, I've only properly talked to about half the group because unless they're in your room, flat or team you won't really know them

Also, I advise you to bring lots of snacks in the first week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the tip.

Well when they came to my college they told us we get WiFi, but I'm not sure till I get there. I heard about a lot of false advertising.

I'm from Sussex and if I remember rightly I think they were taking us to new forest for week 1.

Yeah I was going to do that, well if they haven't asked me hopefully no one else knows and they can do some swapping around.

Do they send you a t-shirt before you start? They have sent me a wrist band but it's too big because my wrists are tiny.

So do you not get a chance to talk to other people if they are not in your group or flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the tip.

Well when they came to my college they told us we get WiFi, but I'm not sure till I get there. I heard about a lot of false advertising.

I'm from Sussex and if I remember rightly I think they were taking us to new forest for week 1.

Yeah I was going to do that, well if they haven't asked me hopefully no one else knows and they can do some swapping around.

Do they send you a t-shirt before you start? They have sent me a wrist band but it's too big because my wrists are tiny.

So do you not get a chance to talk to other people if they are not in your group or flat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on that wifi if I were you, they will have been talking about any of the residences and where we stayed, the staff apparently had access to wifi and we didn't

You won't be able to swap around teams, I'm afraid, sorry they just put you in teams and you get introduced to that team and have some icebreaker's before you get on the coach to new forest. Are you sure you don't know anyone in your wave? It's really helpful to have even 1 friend, an old high school friend of mine actually came on the same wave as me and it was a massive help, especially on the coach and things like that.

Yeah they do, or they might give it out on the day but our whole wave as already given them. And I know what you mean about the wristbands, I can't wear them either but tbh not many people do.

You do, in wave time and things like that but you won't know them as well because you spend most of the day with your team. I hope you have a really good senior mentor (strict ones are the worst) and same goes for whichever staff member you stay with in the uni week.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Captain Kirk reporting in for the night shift, over!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SpiritSharD)
    Captain Kirk reporting in for the night shift, over!
    I read you, Loud and clear, over

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sleep? What the hell is that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any reason for staying up late

ReputationRep:
    I'm a women of the night. I DONT SLEEP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I'm just doing a bit of uni work for next year, can't sleep in this heat so thought I'd be productive.
    Night Crew, where ya'll at
    I am just bored. My eyes are getting watery. and watching BBC news(don't know why). too bored to go to sleep. sorry to be a grammar nazi but you spelt " ya'll " wrong, it is spelt like so: " y'all ".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    I'm just doing a bit of uni work for next year, can't sleep in this heat so thought I'd be productive.
    Night Crew, where ya'll at

I am just bored. My eyes are getting watery. and watching BBC news(don't know why). too bored to go to sleep. sorry to be a grammar nazi but you spelt " ya'll " wrong, it is spelt like so: " y'all ".

ReputationRep:
    I'm also still up for some reason. Just chilling and eating cake ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I wouldn't count on that wifi if I were you, they will have been talking about any of the residences and where we stayed, the staff apparently had access to wifi and we didn't

You won't be able to swap around teams, I'm afraid, sorry they just put you in teams and you get introduced to that team and have some icebreaker's before you get on the coach to new forest. Are you sure you don't know anyone in your wave? It's really helpful to have even 1 friend, an old high school friend of mine actually came on the same wave as me and it was a massive help, especially on the coach and things like that.

Yeah they do, or they might give it out on the day but our whole wave as already given them. And I know what you mean about the wristbands, I can't wear them either but tbh not many people do.

You do, in wave time and things like that but you won't know them as well because you spend most of the day with your team. I hope you have a really good senior mentor (strict ones are the worst) and same goes for whichever staff member you stay with in the uni week.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, it doesn't sound good, did you get WiFi access in week 2 when you stay at a uni?

Well I will ask why I didn't get a skill list and will ask people if they got one. No I dont know anyone, although it would be better if I did I think I prefer being by myself, because most people I know annoy me

So do they expect you to wear the t-shirt while you are on the course? And yeah I heard so many people moan about that, everyone who wants small gets large :facepalm:

Haha same it's all to do with the people you get, hoping I get nice people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it doesn't sound good, did you get WiFi access in week 2 when you stay at a uni?

Well I will ask why I didn't get a skill list and will ask people if they got one. No I dont know anyone, although it would be better if I did I think I prefer being by myself, because most people I know annoy me

So do they expect you to wear the t-shirt while you are on the course? And yeah I heard so many people moan about that, everyone who wants small gets large :facepalm:

Haha same it's all to do with the people you get, hoping I get nice people

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah we did, and you'll also get service since you'll be in the middle of the city so it'll be fine.

Haha, you seem a bit miffed about your lack of skill - don't worry, it only means you'll be put into teams that you'll spend the 4 weeks with but actually only spend 2 days doing the actual skill. Yeah I get you, a lot of people on NCS annoyed me but NCS is a very social environment, even though you're tired, you don't really want to be in a room by yourself, you'd rather mingle. Although it obviously depends on you but that's what I found.

No you don't, they say you're supposed to bring your t-shirt with you but you never actually need to wear is unless you want to.

I hope so too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.