Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I basically want to open schools in India for girls when I'm older and a little richer so they can get an education. But it seems very far fetched.
    Close to my end goal!

Schools, training centres and universities across developing nations. And ofc, my own company eventually.

IB/Consulting en route to that goal is a great path I feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamo2509)
    I'm well aware that not everyone has equal footing. I have had enormous opportunities in life that some can only dream of but I also have nowhere near the privileges that some enjoy.

You have to start where you are, use what you have and do what you can. It's crazy how much you realise you are capable of once you start to try.
    That's not actually my main issue with this thread. This is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post66616680

You sidestep the main issue here with "we can all make it!" which is cute motivational rhetoric but ultimately empty.

Edit: It's probably lacking tact to dig through your previous threads and bring it up here. Alas, I was curious and this struck me as the exact reason that your vision is poisonous:

Love uni love stress not on the verge of a breakdown at all
    Why are you doing this to yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    Consider Isaac Newton / Leibnitz with calculus. As a result of their efforts, mathematicians of the time calculated the trajectory of the planets, Isaac was able to deduce the inverse square law of gravity, and we landed on the moon, all within a few hundred years.

That's called leaving your mark, and that's way better than any amount of partying. Newton will be remembered, while most the 7 billion of us currently breathing will be forgotten.
    Yes, and that means you have a 1 in 7 billion chance of being even in relative terms as influential as Newton.

It's a pretty big gamble. Might just be better to enjoy your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    That's not actually my main issue with this thread. This is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post66616680

You sidestep the main issue here with "we can all make it!" which is cute motivational rhetoric but ultimately empty.

Edit: It's probably lacking tact to dig through your previous threads and bring it up here. Alas, I was curious and this struck me as the exact reason that your vision is poisonous:

Why are you doing this to yourself?
    Hahah because as much as I'm dramatic and like to berate all my decisions, I love the grind really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    Yes. I have 2 degrees and I'm working towards my 3rd. Something I've learned though - none of it matters. Not honours, titles, money, possessions, degrees.

I've witnessed people who had everything - particularly wealth and reputation - and I've seen how little it matters if they lose one thing...health. That puts it all into perspective. Kindness is the only thing that matters, ultimately. It's the only thing worth being remembered for...not for your bank balance or degrees - they don't leave a lasting positive impression on people or the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Totally unrelated, but did you do 2 BScs/BAs and now you are doing a masters or 1 BSc, a masters and now PHD?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Totally unrelated, but did you do 2 BScs/BAs and now you are doing a masters or 1 BSc, a masters and now PHD?
    Totally unconventional and slightly ridiculous - BA, BSc and starting an MBChB this September.

I knew I wanted to do med when I was 17 but by then was half way through the wrong set of A levels - applied for History, graduated and applied to Nursing. Worked a while and finally found the courage to apply for med. Very long way round. Wouldn't recommend but it was the only way given my circs etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Totally unconventional and slightly ridiculous - BA, BSc and starting an MBChB this September.

I knew I wanted to do med when I was 17 but by then was half way through the wrong set of A levels - applied for History, graduated and applied to Nursing. Worked a while and finally found the courage to apply for med. Very long way round. Wouldn't recommend but it was the only way given my circs etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing is ever unconventional. That must have taken so much hard work, motivation and dedication. On the bright side, at least your Nursing degree was NHS funded, so you have leas debt to pay (only your BA), and you have worked with your nursing degree, so you are financially able to pay for medical school fees/ books etc. Also, you have gained and amassed knowledge of life, the arts and nursing through these degrees. Well done for getting through 6 years of Uni and 6 more years to go plus FY1 and FY2!! :yes::thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
    I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?
    What is it exactly you want to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends and family get a little glassy-eyed when I talk about my future plans.
    I kind of want to conquer the world and I don't see why I shouldn't try my hand at anything I fancy. Virtually everyone in my family is a workaholic and I'm no different. In my view, life is too short to not grab by the balls.

I just want to stand back one day and know I've "made it". So I was wondering, at what point will everyone else consider retiring? Where does your ambition cut off?
    my ambition cuts off after a £300,000 jewellery and watch collection, a quarter million pounds of gold bullion, a jet ski, a helicopter, a supercar and several other high-end vehicles, at least 3 properties
    and
    I would consider retiring
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the day after i die

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanny17)
    Nothing is ever unconventional. That must have taken so much hard work, motivation and dedication. On the bright side, at least your Nursing degree was NHS funded, so you have leas debt to pay (only your BA), and you have worked with your nursing degree, so you are financially able to pay for medical school fees/ books etc. Also, you have gained and amassed knowledge of life, the arts and nursing through these degrees. Well done for getting through 6 years of Uni and 6 more years to go plus FY1 and FY2!! :yes::thumbsup:
    Thank you. Yes it's been tricky to say the least and at times I felt it was futile and too much work but looking back on it now, I consider myself very lucky to have been able to do 3 degrees since some people in the world don't even get a basic education.

Plus, as you say, I've learned a lot from different disciplines and it has all shaped me into who I am. I'm doing a graduate entry course so it will be 4 yrs + 2 yrs foundation .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Yes it's been tricky to say the least and at times I felt it was futile and too much work but looking back on it now, I consider myself very lucky to have been able to do 3 degrees since some people in the world don't even get a basic education.

Plus, as you say, I've learned a lot from different disciplines and it has all shaped me into who I am. I'm doing a graduate entry course so it will be 4 yrs + 2 yrs foundation .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're welcome. Yes, you are highly favoured indeed. Quite true, not many people would have that chance. That's great! It wouldn't have been an easy feat. It also shows patience and perseverance. That's great then, at least it's 2 years lesser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yes, and that means you have a 1 in 7 billion chance of being even in relative terms as influential as Newton.

It's a pretty big gamble. Might just be better to enjoy your life.
    It means nothing close to that, because in the most basic terms, most of the current 7 billion population don't want to be, and I know where I stand compared to those in the civilized world of similar abilities. We're probably looking more like 1 in a few hundred thousand or better once you apply a standard distribution equation, remove those in underdeveloped countries, remove those in non-productive careers, etcetera. You'd be nearer to the correct order of magnitude for the guess were it a newborn baby of which you had no information about, but we have near perfect information for my or anyone else's backgrounds up to this point.

Anyway, I'm nitpicking for the fun of it. Point is I'm the sort of guy that wants to work hard and give anything a shot. I am realistic, I know I'm not Newton.

> Implying that enjoying my life and working hard are mutually exclusive
    > Implying that it's a waste of time if I don't match Newton's capacities
    > Supporting defeatist outlook
    > I wanna be the very best
    > Like no one ever was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicilaw)
    I am disgustingly ambitious. I want to start my own Magazine make up brand. I met Anya Hindmarch the other day and her actual advice to me was "cut them dead". So yeah... I'm going to cut them dead
    That's more like it!

ReputationRep:
    I think most teenagers are 'disgustingly ambitious'. Of course, this ambition falters when they enter the real world and realise that not everyone can be rich and successful.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am. I've always tried to do the best at everything I do and give it my best shot!

I AM THE MAN

FAYEZ THE MAN

ReputationRep:
    ambition is priceless

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.