Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking of converting to Catholicism watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    im not stupid enough to try and convert a muslim ;no; and convert them to what? Do whatever makes you happy in my eyes but dont try and convert me. Il stab you :p:
    haha, its like you are afraid of them or something..:rolleyes:

But yes, dont try it. or you will be killed instantly.

ReputationRep:
    Im not afraid of them theyre just people with belives in things i dont, im hardly xenophobic

ReputationRep:
    i was joking anyway..

ReputationRep:
    oh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    oh
    'ere, you can take your foot out of your mouth now

ReputationRep:
    ive not got my foot in my mouth, he hardly showed he was kidding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckiciao)
    I wouldnt convert if I were you. theres too many 'secrets' in catholocism, that you are expected to believe, with no proof, and if you challenge the secret, then its ex-communication time for you my boy.

Just don't do it.
    Don't talk balls.

Not believing the dogma won't result in excommunication. Whilst one is expected to practise self excommunication, it isn't enforced. Canon law has too many things for which one could be excommunicated for it to be enforced.

Anyway, OP, go to the local Catholic church and ask to speak to the Priest. Alternatively, have a look at the Dummies guide to Catholicism, or, drop me a PM

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm i had a friend who was quite a practicing muslim, she became catholic after reading lots and talking to some people. Just found shes converted back to Islam!

I think you have to make sure your converting for right reasons and understand the religion your leaving as in Islam the worst sin that can committed is leaving your faith. I say its its important to understand the faith you are leaving as Islam and catholicism are quite similar in some areas.

If it is what you want and catholicism is the type of christianity you wish to embrace then the obvious place would be a catholic church or even a catholic school or you also get faith centres. Id suggest a faith centre look up catholic centre and your area that you live in. Also maybe question and answer debates if your unsure.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it OP....doooooon't ! Become an Athiest, and the world is your oyster.

P.S: All good preachers know that the indecisive ones are the ones you need to try and convert.

ReputationRep:
    Your insane to willingly join christianity.
    Consult your GP immediately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Adarshster)
    Don't do it OP....doooooon't ! Become an Athiest, and the world is your oyster.

P.S: All good preachers know that the indecisive ones are the ones you need to try and convert.
    But the OP isn't indecisive...they seem pretty sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    But the OP isn't indecisive...they seem pretty sure..
    He says he's "thinking of converting" not that he is converting. I shall still try. It's never too late to let a person know the truth !

am i the only one whos curious about teh reason he wants to convert!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rei)
    am i the only one whos curious about teh reason he wants to convert!!!!

nop, i have asked already as well!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    OMG TRY MI RELIDJUN

Seriously, stop it now. A debate wasn't what the OP asked for; alternatives to Catholicism weren't what the OP asked for. He's not renting a flat.

ReputationRep:
    Stay with Islam.

Or go to hell.

IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duckiciao)
    I wouldnt convert if I were you. theres too many 'secrets' in catholocism, that you are expected to believe, with no proof, and if you challenge the secret, then its ex-communication time for you my boy
    i like the way you say catholocism [sic] and not religion...like there are so many religions that don't have some element of blind faith ^o)

(Original post by HJV)
    Why exactly catholicism, if I may ask? There's many other, more modern sects of christianity (eg. lutheranism).
    why do you equate modern = best :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bedshaped)
    Stay with Islam.

Or go to hell.

IMHO.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhaha.!!!

brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know what is required for me to convert (i.e. who do I approach)
    what's required...well basically you just have to go along with catholic beliefs...so the sacraments (i.e. u'll have to undertake baptism, first holy reconciliation, first holy communion, and then confirmation). who do you approach? well...as others have said...ur local parish priest will probably be able to hold your hand (not literally) the entire way...

and also I'm worried about how my family might react and my local muslim community. I'm worried I'll get attacked or killed by some extremist or something? Am I just over-reacting?
    well luckily u don't live in a muslim country...the possibility for the last stuff you mentioned would be a reality, in the UK, that really won't happen...as for the reactions...well it'll probably be bad...that's putting it lightly...from what i've been told that although it does vary, muslim communities tend to be more hostile than others with regards to conversions...

donno how old u are, but if ur still in school/what not, logic would suggest that you should wait until you finish uni etc so u can set yourself up for life before possible touright rejection by your family friends etc...

of course, following the beliefs of catholicism, by not being a catholic/not starting that process you're "in" the wrong religion and the sooner that's rectified the better...all the trouble that would be caused would be a pretty big cross to bear...

Just wondering if anyone here is catholic, what do catholics think of converts?
    great stuff

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a muslim at for some time I've been thinking of converting to catholicism. I preety much agree with all the fundamental issues of catholic christianity and think It'll suit me really well. However, I don't know what is required for me to convert (i.e. who do I approach) and also I'm worried about how my family might react and my local muslim community. I'm worried I'll get attacked or killed by some extremist or something? Am I just over-reacting?

Thanks
    Usually id say that people were over reacting, but muslims are so extreme and abusive id say that it is a probability.

No relgion is worth risking your physical or emotional health.

what is the big deal with "family honor" anyways?:confused:

good luck OP Allah knows you need it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.