Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If a superior lifeform came along from space. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawman)
    HAHAHA
    loooooooool how pathetic can an individual get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pillock)
    That was smarter than humans, more advanced than human and had more power than humans and they decided to enslave the human race because they could and there was nothing humans could do to stop them- would that make this life form objectively evil or not?
    I object to your use of 'objectively' with evil. Evil cannot be described objectively. It is always subjective based on cultures and individual people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sebastian Bartlett)
    Humans are known for being extremely resistant to occupation regardless of the odds against them and it will likely end in either our complete destruction or them realising it's not worth it. But yes evil
    The world isnt a sci fi series. Humans are 'known'? To who? We literally have no other sentient species to compare our resistance to occupation to? We might be relatively docile by galactic standards.

ReputationRep:
    That was smarter than humans, more advanced than human and had more power than humans and they decided to enslave the human race because they could and there was nothing humans could do to stop them- would that make this life form objectively evil or not?
    Humans do this all the time with other animals. Are we objectively evil?

The only people who have the moral high ground here are probably the vegans. I suspect a lot of people may come to understand just what the vegans were getting at.

(Original post by JPO92)
    I object to your use of 'objectively' with evil. Evil cannot be described objectively. It is always subjective based on cultures and individual people.
    So you think female circumcision is fine as ling as it is carried out by a different culture with different values?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Humans do this all the time with other animals. Are we objectively evil?

The only people who have the moral high ground here are probably the vegans.

So you think female circumcision is fine as ling as it is carried out by a different culture with different values?
    No. That culture may believe that what they are doing is not evil, or even good. It's culture-centric. How the hell did you jump from what I said to making the assumption that I believe female circumcision is fine because a different culture might think that it is. I obviously don't think that's fine.

Good use of the only cultural reference you could think of though to make yourself look stupid...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPO92)
    No. That culture may believe that what they are doing is not evil, or even good. It's culture-centric. How the hell did you jump from what I said to making the assumption that I believe female circumcision is fine because a different culture might think that it is. I obviously don't think that's fine.
    Well you seem to think female circumcision is wrong no matter where it is practised (as do most people from our society). So do you believe in universal morals that transcend cultures and societies?

Ok so your position is that the ideas of evil and good are just social constructs formed in societies? But you think our ideals of evils and good are superior a society/culture that thinks circumcision is good? But how can our ideals be superior if there is no such thing as objective good and evil that exist outside of what humans get up to?

I just used it as an example because most people do not think it is fine and is something that gets carried out in other culture/societies. It is a good example to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Well you seem to think female circumcision is wrong no matter where it is practised (as do most people from our society). So do you believe in universal morals that transcend cultures and societies?

Ok so your position is that the ideas of evil and good are just social constructs formed in societies? But you think our ideals of evils and good are superior a society/culture that thinks circumcision is good? But how can our ideals be superior if there is no such thing as objective good and evil that exist outside of what humans get up to?

I just used it as an example because most people do not think it is fine and is something that gets carried out in other culture/societies. It is a good example to use.
    You did fine in trying to understand my position until you assumed that I believed my morals were superior to those of other cultures. I do not believe that. They are just that, my, individual moral beliefs.

I believe that individuals in a society are more likely to hold convergent ideas on morality than when compared to individuals from other societies across the globe. I think that this alone shows that morality is a highly subjective concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheIr0nDuke)
    lmao mad vegan detected
    stay mad pleb'humans are an evil live form'lmao put that in your odyssey
    What a surprise to see you act like a complete twit in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I'm the guy who saw pollock mouthing off at people who didn't agree with him, and being incredibly offensive into the bargain. I'm the guy who reported you - just so you know, when you get your ban.

But by the sound of it I obviously am superior. To you. Along with the majority of the rest of the human race.
    So you are fine with the ir0nass coming in and attacking the OP in OP's thread, not contributing, just insulting. But when OP gets annoyed, admittedly overreacting, you have a go at OP?

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a vegetarian thread is it?

ReputationRep:
    Humans do the exact same thing to animals on earth. So surely bu your logic that would mean humans are evil.
    Very clever.

I suppose we're evil then. There's no way you could say it depends on how we treat them. We're still enslaving them, and that, by nature, is evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    So you are fine with the ir0nass coming in and attacking the OP in OP's thread, not contributing, just insulting. But when OP gets annoyed, admittedly overreacting, you have a go at OP?
    lmao log in to find 3 declined post messages from this weeks old thread, assume that was you? Good job reviving

EDIT; plus the OP was banned, so obviously a troll. Why have a go at me?

ReputationRep:
    lmao log in to find 3 declined post messages from this weeks old thread, assume that was you? Good job reviving

EDIT; plus the OP was banned, so obviously a troll. Why have a go at me?
    Yup that was me

No, if you read his posts it is far more likely he was banned for language/insults than being a "troll". If anything, you displayed much bigger characteristics of a troll. You came into the threat aggressively, being inconstructive inflammatory, aggravated the OP. So, a bit ironic you would call OP a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    Yup that was me

No, if you read his posts it is far more likely he was banned for language/insults than being a "troll". If anything, you displayed much bigger characteristics of a troll. You came into the threat aggressively, being inconstructive inflammatory, aggravated the OP. So, a bit ironic you would call OP a troll.
    lmao thought so, nice 1 m8

I did so as this was obviously a troll thread. Known s h i t poster. Stay mad tho, enjoying your tears

ReputationRep:
    lmao thought so, nice 1 m8

I did so as this was obviously a troll thread. Known s h i t poster. Stay mad tho, enjoying your tears
    gr8 b8 i r8 8/8

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.