Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GLS training contract application Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galf)
    I spoke to someone in recruitment earlier today (albeit, he didn't really seem to know what he was talking about as he said results would be out tomorrow and I had to correct him), but he said they usually inform unsuccessful candidates first, so if you're still waiting, it could be good news. Fingers crossed for you all. Good luck!

Ooo well thats positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clockingin1994)
    Ooo well thats positive
    Just received an invite to the CRT, hopefully that means its also good new for anyone else waiting!

Commiserations and congratulations to all as appropriate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawMe)
    Just received an invite to the CRT, hopefully that means its also good new for anyone else waiting!

Commiserations and congratulations to all as appropriate!
    Congrats! Fingers crossed for those of us still waiting... 😖

ReputationRep:
    Wonder what the delay is about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scragglefrock)
    Congrats! Fingers crossed for those of us still waiting... 😖
    Thank you! Hopefully it will be positive news for you as I didn't think mine went very well and somehow I got through!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    What attracted you all to the GLS?

ReputationRep:
    Finally. Invited to next stage.

ReputationRep:
    Through to CRT, whoop!! 😃

ReputationRep:
    It's past 6. Still no email. What does this mean guys ? Aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    What attracted you all to the GLS?
    I am a huge politics nerd and a true believer in 'the system' (yeah I know ). I never wanted to be a politician, but feel like government is where all the action happens. Being at the GLS you're right there in the middle of it all, helping the gov of the day.

Is it negative to mention in the AC that you're a member of a to be unmentioned political party? I know its something you have to give up for the general civil service, is the same true for the GLS?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monokurobuu)
    I am a huge politics nerd and a true believer in 'the system' (yeah I know ). I never wanted to be a politician, but feel like government is where all the action happens. Being at the GLS you're right there in the middle of it all, helping the gov of the day.
    If you get in that will stop :p:

Is it negative to mention in the AC that you're a member of a to be unmentioned political party? I know its something you have to give up for the general civil service, is the same true for the GLS?
    I wouldn't mention it and I'm not entirely sure it adds anything - being interested in politics should help, but can't see why they would care about which one you are a member of. GLS is subject to civil service code.

ReputationRep:
    Next stage (Y)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe their doing rejections tomorrow as no ones had a rejection email on here

ReputationRep:
    Anyone taken the CRT yet? How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    accepted to next round

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else that has not heard yet?

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask all of you successful ones, how did you prepare for the Verbal Reasoning test? I could use some tips to help me next year. Did you buy any online tests or use any particular websites?

It's so frustrating because I've done a practice Watson Glaser test with my careers service at Uni twice, and both times I've scored on 98th percentile when graded against other law graduates. I really wanted a shot at the CRT! But I will definitely be applying again next year.

Make sure you all keep me posted on how you get on throughout the remainder of the application process! Good luck again!

ReputationRep:
    I just emailed GLS. They said everyone has had an email and asked me to check my spam folder. Turns out I got through yesterday, the Email came at 4.48pm!!

If I didn't contact them i would have never known but I have less time as a result to prep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galf)
    Can I just ask all of you successful ones, how did you prepare for the Verbal Reasoning test? I could use some tips to help me next year. Did you buy any online tests or use any particular websites?

It's so frustrating because I've done a practice Watson Glaser test with my careers service at Uni twice, and both times I've scored on 98th percentile when graded against other law graduates. I really wanted a shot at the CRT! But I will definitely be applying again next year.

Make sure you all keep me posted on how you get on throughout the remainder of the application process! Good luck again!
    Hi, Personally I wouldn't buy any online tests as I find there are enough free ones online for me. However, given that I'm a wannabe barrister most pupillages don't require you to do these sort of tests so its not worth the money for me but my boyfriend bought a package and thought it was worth it as he was applying for grad schemes which mostly required passing these tests before an interview. I just google the type of test and do all the practice ones I can find. I don't use any particular websites but look particularly for ones that give an explanation of the correct answer or the percentile I would have come in compared to others. Most have the percentile information but usually you can't find out if they give the answers until the end so I just do as many as I can! I also went on the specific provider that the GLS use (I think it was CEB?) and they had a practice test on there which helped me see what that exact test would be like.

Wow, that's an amazing score for the Watson Glasser! Well done! Do you have any tips for me??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawMe)
    Hi, Personally I wouldn't buy any online tests as I find there are enough free ones online for me. However, given that I'm a wannabe barrister most pupillages don't require you to do these sort of tests so its not worth the money for me but my boyfriend bought a package and thought it was worth it as he was applying for grad schemes which mostly required passing these tests before an interview. I just google the type of test and do all the practice ones I can find. I don't use any particular websites but look particularly for ones that give an explanation of the correct answer or the percentile I would have come in compared to others. Most have the percentile information but usually you can't find out if they give the answers until the end so I just do as many as I can! I also went on the specific provider that the GLS use (I think it was CEB?) and they had a practice test on there which helped me see what that exact test would be like.

Wow, that's an amazing score for the Watson Glasser! Well done! Do you have any tips for me??
    Thank you for the advice. I'm looking at applying to other grad schemes which have these tests as well so maybe I will invest in a package If your boyfriend found it useful. I'm clearly not very good at them.

In terms of the Watson-Glaser, I honestly can't give you any help. I'm not very good at tests usually (I didn't pass the VRT this year and I didn't pass the SJT last year) but for some reason, I just get the CRT. No idea how. The practice ones I did at uni were an hour each and had 5 rounds of 16 questions. As this one is 30 mins I'm guessing you'll have 5 rounds of 8 questions. The only advice I can give is to make sure you have read the example questions on the GLS website for each round (inferences, arguments etc) and make sure you understand the logic behind those examples because the real questions will be exactly like that. I hope that makes sense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.