Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    I've heard that's the best but that's not going to happen immediately as it's too strong. Also, I get dry skin when I just wash my face in plain water.....The rest of those side effects sound lovely!! :eek: Did you get them straight away or did you try other things first??
    Well i tried quite a few things like cremes and antibiotics and absolutely nothing worked apart from roacutane. There is a massive list of side effects but consdierin a persons on them for about 6 months they could have just been coincidental like when they were testing it on ppl, i mean suicide is even listed as one of the side effects lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wear_a_condom)
    they wont give roaccutane straight away they will try other stuff first.
    Yeah, Roaccutane contains Isotretinoin and it's usually a last resort.

I'm just finishing my course of treatment now and it's worked wonders. Only problems were dry, chapped lips and quite oddly dry skin on my arms, lol. Best drug I ever took and I just hope my skin stays this good from now on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lou76854)
    i mean suicide is even listed as one of the side effects lol.
    Yeah, I heard about the suicide "side effect" from my dermatologist. Sounds like a load of pish to me, I mean surely it's not the drug making the person suicidal, it would be if they knew it was the last resort drug and they thought it wasn't working so they'd be stuck with acne forever. Funny thing is the drug can actually make it worse before it gets better, which is another of the side effects, so I hope these people didn't commit suicide early on in the course thinking nothing would work!

ReputationRep:
    Same, my doctor told me the benefits outweigh the negative effects that may potentially occur by a mile and never in his whole career had he seen someone who did NOT benefit from roaccutane.

Try the antibiotics first and the creams/gels but if they dont work roaccutane is the way forward.

Also, the dosage depends on you weight. I think its 0.5mg/kg and different people have different amounts of tolerance. I never had nosebleeds but I had severly chapped lips for 6 months. In hindsight it was well worth it!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I still get acne when I'm not on medication. I've found minocycline to work really well. I get about a spot every month or so, instead of a couple per week. I also wash my face every so often depending on the environment (for whatever reason, some places make my skin more oily than others, usually large places indoors with lots of people in them, like where I work). The only time I haven't had acne is a year and a half ago, when I lived in Florida and worked outside for eight hours a day. I'm hoping I'll just "grow out of it" one of these days. Or maybe England's climate will suit me better or something. Acne sucks .

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Proactiv solution?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to go anon as this is not my fault. If you don't want to read this sob story just skip to the end if you ahve any advice- thank you all in advance!!

I've always had spots but on a really bad day maybe a maximum of 10 across my whole face- a bad day was very rare and I had about a year in Upper Sixth when I had none at all- YAY!!

Since moving to London for uni in September they have got worse and I had them back again- varying from little ones to whiteheads to enormous sweelings under the skin up to 2 cm in diameter. There were times when I had 2 or 4 of these big beasts on my chin- so basically one enormous swelling.

Then about 2 months ago it stepped up a level and got a bit worse- more and more frequently, then about 2 weeks ago a real step up- people started asking if I'd had allergic reactions as my face was so swollen and red. Last week was a lump week- about 8 of these 2cm things and now this week I counted 50 tiny whiteheads/red spots yesterday and 7 lumps- ranging from 0.5-1cm. They are mainly my chin and lower cheek and jawline- 2 little ones on my forehead and even a few on my neck now.

I have tried the following:
    1. clearasil and everything like that- the pads, the creams- resulting in no imprvement, more redness and dry skin so when I try and cover with makeup just peels off and looks worse.
    2. Oxy on the spot- some success but too much dryness and soreness to use again.
    3. Sudocrem.
    4. The new Clinique range for acne- only made it worse....
    I've tried everything, my face is so sore and red and also itchy- is this acne? I think it is- does anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this? I've booked a dr appointment for next week.

Basically, it's making me really miserable, crying, I don't want to go out, finding it difficult to work- witress so have to look at people all the time and they can see. It's on my mind every walking moment, and I even get up in the night to see if it's any better.

Well done if you read that- please help

Thank you.
    Aww bless, I've had them as bad and I know how it feels. I'm all sorted now and only get the odd one when it's the time of the month, because my dermatologist told me to give up milk prodcuts completely. Go through my previous threads and you'll find one about Acne from last July-ish Basically this thread could improve your life drastically. I hope it works. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttommy88)
    Have you tried Proactiv solution?
    What's that??:confused:

I'm just finishing my course of treatment now and it's worked wonders. Only problems were dry, chapped lips and quite oddly dry skin on my arms, lol. Best drug I ever took and I just hope my skin stays this good from now on.
    I can cope with those side effects- I get chapped lips easily anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm safe from the suicide side effects!! (HOW does that work?!) I've never felt remotely suicidal in my life- thank God!

(Original post by minimo)
    Aww bless, I've had them as bad and I know how it feels. I'm all sorted now and only get the odd one when it's the time of the month, because my dermatologist told me to give up milk prodcuts completely. Go through my previous threads and you'll find one about Acne from last July-ish Basically this thread could improve your life drastically. I hope it works. :hugs:
    It's the *****e.....it really is Are you on medication too or was it just the dairy products?? I found your old thread and WOW!! I have always eaten dairy products- ALWAYS, but just milk and some cheese, I now have given into my cravings- and from about 3 weeks ago (when it got really bad) I had three cream including meals on three consecutive nights....and milk everyday for breakfast and huge amounts of cheese......just yesterday I had tiramisu (marscapone), parmesan, stilton and milk......I'm going to give this a go and thank you VERY much for bringing this up as I've never heard of it-a lot of supporting evidence on net too- THANK YOU!!

ReputationRep:
    Ive had acne for 5 years and bought this stuff called freederm from boots, used it for a week and I hardly get spots anymore. If I do I just rub the freederm on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    Ive had acne for 5 years and bought this stuff called freederm from boots, used it for a week and I hardly get spots anymore. If I do I just rub the freederm on.
    Yeah, I've seen that but have tried almost every other topical cream/wash from Boots etc. and they've done nothing but make my skin dry and sore Thanks anyway though.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried leaving the spots alone? I don't just mean don't use any products but do you find yourself picking and squeezing them sometimes? You probably already know but this makes them a lot worse, I used to have an habit of squeezing them every night but tried leaving them alone and just applying the freederm twice a day. I know it looks better when you cover them up but try and use less make up whenever you can.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm safe from the suicide side effects!! (HOW does that work?!) I've never felt remotely suicidal in my life- thank God!

It's the *****e.....it really is Are you on medication too or was it just the dairy products?? I found your old thread and WOW!! I have always eaten dairy products- ALWAYS, but just milk and some cheese, I now have given into my cravings- and from about 3 weeks ago (when it got really bad) I had three cream including meals on three consecutive nights....and milk everyday for breakfast and huge amounts of cheese......just yesterday I had tiramisu (marscapone), parmesan, stilton and milk......I'm going to give this a go and thank you VERY much for bringing this up as I've never heard of it-a lot of supporting evidence on net too- THANK YOU!!
    Yay! Well I was on medication too, but have now stopped them and no spots (But still no milk-stuff!)

ReputationRep:
    i get those big lumps, usually on really annoying places like my forehead, or my cheek bone, where everyone can see them.. grr!
    i went to the doctor (this was a while ago now) and he prescribed some stuff to put on my skin. it did the trick.. i've stopped using it now, and i have quite a few spots back, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to.
    so yeah, screw these annoying shelf remedies and get your ass to the doctors, stat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saturn)
    Have you tried leaving the spots alone? I don't just mean don't use any products but do you find yourself picking and squeezing them sometimes? You probably already know but this makes them a lot worse, I used to have an habit of squeezing them every night but tried leaving them alone and just applying the freederm twice a day. I know it looks better when you cover them up but try and use less make up whenever you can.
    I actually beat the crap out of my face constantly, I know I shouldn't but I follow the 'good squeezing guide' (sorry ) if it's white squeeze, if it's red don't, ((if it's green you're an alien?!!) I do try and not fiddle all the time though and make a conscious effort to wash my hands before I do so. Also, I know just wash my face with ym old tee tree oil soap and use my old moisturiser and my skin's less dry and sore now which is one thing I guess.....

(Original post by minimo)
    Yay! Well I was on medication too, but have now stopped them and no spots (But still no milk-stuff!)
    Bugger....well It's worth a try I've not had any dairy for TWO days (MAJOR achievement) no improvement yet though (obviously as still clearing my system.....*FINGERS CROSSED*!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i get those big lumps, usually on really annoying places like my forehead, or my cheek bone, where everyone can see them.. grr!
    i went to the doctor (this was a while ago now) and he prescribed some stuff to put on my skin. it did the trick.. i've stopped using it now, and i have quite a few spots back, but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to.
    so yeah, screw these annoying shelf remedies and get your ass to the doctors, stat!
    I currently have 7 of those big beasts- 1 on my forehead, 4 on my cheeks and 2 on my chin. As well as all of the other ones....great......What stuff were you given?

DOCTORS TOMORROW MORNING AT 10:30 WOOWOOWOOWOOWOOWOOWOO!!

Thanks for all of your help, I'll update tomorrow- keep any advice/ideas a-coming please!

ReputationRep:
    woohoo! you've already been to the doctor lol, hope it went well for you

Here's hoping you grow out of it soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    woohoo! you've already been to the doctor lol, hope it went well for you

Here's hoping you grow out of it soon
    I have indeed been!! I would have hoped to have grown out of it already but no....apparently not....:rolleyes:

Basically she said that I had very severe acne (I didn't think it was that, that bad or rather I hoped it didn't look that bad) and has prescribed me the pill- Dianette (apparently antibiotics wouldn't work as too severe) and a topical cream. She said she would refer me to a dermatologist if it didn't work for Roaccutane. She then said about polycystic ovary syndrome, and has referred me for blood tests and a scan of my ovaries.....However, I don't appear to have any of the symptoms other than acne...? Do you reckon she was just covering the bases? :confused:

Has anyone had any success with Dianette??

ReputationRep:
    I've just put the first lot of cream on it's called Duac once daily gel and it's 1% clindamycin and 5% benzoyl peroxide (I've got very sensitive skin). And luckily, my period has just come FIVE days early- clearly my desperation to take dianette- so I'll start that tomorrow too.

Thank you all for your help and support and making me not feel like such a gross alien!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to go anon as this is not my fault. If you don't want to read this sob story just skip to the end if you ahve any advice- thank you all in advance!!

I've always had spots but on a really bad day maybe a maximum of 10 across my whole face- a bad day was very rare and I had about a year in Upper Sixth when I had none at all- YAY!!

Since moving to London for uni in September they have got worse and I had them back again- varying from little ones to whiteheads to enormous sweelings under the skin up to 2 cm in diameter. There were times when I had 2 or 4 of these big beasts on my chin- so basically one enormous swelling.

Then about 2 months ago it stepped up a level and got a bit worse- more and more frequently, then about 2 weeks ago a real step up- people started asking if I'd had allergic reactions as my face was so swollen and red. Last week was a lump week- about 8 of these 2cm things and now this week I counted 50 tiny whiteheads/red spots yesterday and 7 lumps- ranging from 0.5-1cm. They are mainly my chin and lower cheek and jawline- 2 little ones on my forehead and even a few on my neck now.

I have tried the following:
    1. clearasil and everything like that- the pads, the creams- resulting in no imprvement, more redness and dry skin so when I try and cover with makeup just peels off and looks worse.
    2. Oxy on the spot- some success but too much dryness and soreness to use again.
    3. Sudocrem.
    4. The new Clinique range for acne- only made it worse....
    I've tried everything, my face is so sore and red and also itchy- is this acne? I think it is- does anyone have any ideas what I can do to stop this? I've booked a dr appointment for next week.

Basically, it's making me really miserable, crying, I don't want to go out, finding it difficult to work- witress so have to look at people all the time and they can see. It's on my mind every walking moment, and I even get up in the night to see if it's any better.

Well done if you read that- please help

Thank you.
    I'd recommend Manuka honey. My grandfather read about it once in an American magazine. It's meant to have anti bacteria in it. If you just put on a really light layer over your whole face and leave it on for about 20 minutes or so then wash it off. You'll notice an immediate difference. I used this a couple of years back and recently one of my cousins was complaining of a spot outbreak. She put on manuka honey for the first time at night, and there was a clear difference. She put it on a second time the next afternoon and the difference was huge. It was like a before and after advert. No harm in giving it a go!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.