Cardiff University Medicine Applicants 2017

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What is your academic score?
    20/27 points
    2.98%
    21/27 points
    2.98%
    22/27 points
    3.57%
    23/27 points
    4.76%
    24/27 points
    10.12%
    25/27 points
    11.31%
    26/27 points
    23.21%
    27/27 points
    41.07%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_18)
    Hey,
    I got 2A* 3A 5B in GCSE and this was due to extenuating circumstances.. Do you know how cardiff med school looks upon this??
    You would have to contact them as they deal with extenuating circumstances on a case by case basis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question, love all the information you have posted very helpful. What is Cardiff's Medicine entry requirements for English IGCSE (first language). I took both literature and language but am finding the information about having to do a listening/speaking exam somewhat confusing. Would a candidate with English IGCSE also be required to have listening/language exam. This can be arranged but my school asked me to find out I have included is what is mentioned on the entry requirement section for Medicine is on the Cardiff website. Many thanks.
    "Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0522); Acceptable - at a minimum grade B.[*]Cambridge IGCSE English - First Language (UK) (0500); Acceptable only if all four components have been undertaken and this must be made clear on the UCAS form at the time of application.[*]Cambridge IGCSE English - Second Language (count-in oral) (0511); Acceptable - at a minimum grade B as a GCSE equivalent but must be accompanied by IELTS to satisfy minimum reqs in English Language. Refer to Appendix B for IELTS requirements.
    *For Schools which have already entered students for the exams in May 2015 where it is too late to take the speaking and listening test and who would have started the IGCSE course in September 2013 which would have been before our IGSCE policy was brought in, we will accept their qualification as it stands.
    Anyone who committed to an English IGCSE after October 2014 when our IGCSE policy came in to place will have to complete the speaking and listening module." [also what is the listening/speaking module referring to?]

ReputationRep:
    Would a UKCAT score of 687 disadvantage me at all?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am an international student who is applying to Cardiff University to read medicine this year!
    I did SPM (a Malaysia qualification which is equivalent to GCSE) and got 10A*. So can I use my SPM results as a substitute for GCSE in the calculation of my academic score?
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L7416)
    Would a UKCAT score of 687 disadvantage me at all?
    Not at all.

(Original post by yongfai97)
    Hi! I am an international student who is applying to Cardiff University to read medicine this year!
    I did SPM (a Malaysia qualification which is equivalent to GCSE) and got 10A*. So can I use my SPM results as a substitute for GCSE in the calculation of my academic score?
    Thank you in advance
    Email admissions for advice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you so much for providing so much useful info!!
    Ive just started upper sixth. I got a B in French but want to retake it so i can get a higher score because for languages they combine your AS score with your A level score and I want a higher chance of getting an A next year. Do Cardiff care about resitting AS levels? Ive read online about the A level resitting policy but it does not mention AS. Also ive emailed them but they havent replied.
    Also I love Cardiff and really really want to apply but my gcse score is 25. What would they consider a 'strong' personal statement?
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stressed247lol)
    Hi! Thank you so much for providing so much useful info!!
    Ive just started upper sixth. I got a B in French but want to retake it so i can get a higher score because for languages they combine your AS score with your A level score and I want a higher chance of getting an A next year. Do Cardiff care about resitting AS levels? Ive read online about the A level resitting policy but it does not mention AS. Also ive emailed them but they havent replied.
    Also I love Cardiff and really really want to apply but my gcse score is 25. What would they consider a 'strong' personal statement?
    Thanks!!
    Hi
    I'm sure Cardiff will not mind you retaking that AS exam.
    Medical schools really don't care about GCSE/AS/2 resits as long as you do them within the 2 years (i.e Yr10/11 for GCSE and Yr12/13 for AS/2).
    I remember I resat a lot of exams and it really doesn't matter.
    Obviously I would recommend entering your AS levels into your UCAS, so enter the B in french and obviously beg your teachers to predict you at least an A.

25 is a good score and there are quite a few people who got in with 24 or 25 (but most have 26+)
    The way Cardiff work is that if yout GCSE score is high enough but below the "cutoff" (which is around 26) they will look at your personal statement and if it is strong you will be interviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic19)
    Hi
    I'm sure Cardiff will not mind you retaking that AS exam.
    Medical schools really don't care about GCSE/AS/2 resits as long as you do them within the 2 years (i.e Yr10/11 for GCSE and Yr12/13 for AS/2).
    I remember I resat a lot of exams and it really doesn't matter.
    Obviously I would recommend entering your AS levels into your UCAS, so enter the B in french and obviously beg your teachers to predict you at least an A.

25 is a good score and there are quite a few people who got in with 24 or 25 (but most have 26+)
    The way Cardiff work is that if yout GCSE score is high enough but below the "cutoff" (which is around 26) they will look at your personal statement and if it is strong you will be interviewed.
    Okay thank you so much thats really useful!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Could you please tell me if all lessons are delivered in English? I won't need to know Welsh to study Medicine, would I?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyrus)
    Hi,

Could you please tell me if all lessons are delivered in English? I won't need to know Welsh to study Medicine, would I?

Thanks.
    no, it will be in english

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    No an A* is worth 3 points, an A is worth 2 and the score works by including your 9 best GCSE grades to include english language, maths and the three sciences.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    so if i got 4 As in bio chem phys and maths, then 6 A*s in english language and 5 other subjects, my score would be 23 if only including the 4As and 5A*s to make it 9 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    It says above to contact cardiff if you have already achieved AAAa at a level and you might get extra points. Has anyone done that. I have 23/27 on the gcses but already achieved by grades this summer of AAA and an A at AS. An extra 3 points is what I need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fathimahajra)
    so if i got 4 As in bio chem phys and maths, then 6 A*s in english language and 5 other subjects, my score would be 23 if only including the 4As and 5A*s to make it 9 subjects?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I currently have a score of 23/27 but have achieved grades of A*AA. Does anyone know how my achieved grades would pull my score of 23 up and if there is any point applying with these stats? Also is there a minimum requirement for 4th AS as I've read different things? Thanks in advance. (I've emailed the medical school but they haven't replied yet.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    Hi, I currently have a score of 23/27 but have achieved grades of A*AA. Does anyone know how my achieved grades would pull my score of 23 up and if there is any point applying with these stats? Also is there a minimum requirement for 4th AS as I've read different things? Thanks in advance. (I've emailed the medical school but they haven't replied yet.)

I am in the same boat as you and have e-mailed them about this question
    but not got a reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadLashes)
    I am in the same boat as you and have e-mailed them about this question
    but not got a reply.
    Ah, let me know if you get a reply and I'll do the same

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ninjakam119;67670664]Ah, let me know if you get a reply and I'll do the same [itUOTE]

It is really annoying not getting an answer about how they are going to score achieved A levels. I just need to know if I will get the 3 more points I need to get me to 26.. I won't apply if I don't get my points to 26! Wanting to do pay and send in the next couple of days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    A-levels: AAAc including chemistry and biology. Further maths is not recognised past AS levels, nor is critical thinking, but general studies is not accepted at all. Any college who cannot offer 3 A2 levels and one AS level are required to declare this in the UCAS reference to prevent disadvantage. Cardiff will consider module resits within the 2 year A level period, but resits outside of this period will only be considered if extenuating circumstances are provided.
    Hi, I've tried to find information regarding the 4th AS requirement of a C but I can't see it anywhere on their website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    [/center]
    Hi, I've tried to find information regarding the 4th AS requirement of a C but I can't see it anywhere on their website?
    That is only if you are taking a 4th AS, if you are not and only taking 3 subjects I am sure it isnt a requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Does the academic scoring include GCSE's which were taken in year 10/9 (1 year GCSE's courses)? I only sat 8 GCSE's in year 11 (8A*s = 24 aka not competitive). really worried!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.