Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sationti)
    Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?
    Well, OP, if this is a genuine question I certainly wouldn't be expecting anymore jobs from this particular agency coming your way after your rude and condescending email. You know that candidates with 2:1's in academic subjects from good universities are as common as muck these days, don't you? If I was an employer I certainly wouldn't be hiring you after seeing the above email, if only because it reeks of an arrogant, entitlement superiority complex. Not a good trait I would want in any employee tbh.

I would advise that you send a sincere email of apology to the same lady, explaining how you felt you have been misled and the inconvenience the interview caused you. I wouldn't be surprised if they treated you worse now though. I think you should start applying for other jobs directly and not going with this recruitment agency again

ReputationRep:

As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.
    With all due respect, the delusion is strong there...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Ok I was probably exaggerating about the fuel as I drive an 09 reg. I was more annoyed about the time I wasted. This thread is about that *****y agency though, not some outlet for you to boast your car's fuel economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My car's fuel efficiency isn't even that good... much much better cars out there than mine, so I'm definitely not boasting about it. Back onto the topic of the agency, quite frankly, if you came across to the agency how you have in this thread, I'm not massively surprised they never called back.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    First off, recruiters are a waste of time. But you should never try to burn bridges and insult them, considering the recruiting world is smaller than you think.

Secondly, never send anything while drunk. You'll definitely regret it later.

Thirdly, recruiters don't owe you anything. You shouldn't delegate your job search to someone else either, you should instead meet with your acquaintances and university alumni, go for an informational interview and get a job that way.

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.
    Not gonna lie, a lot of grads with a 'fabulous CV and a 2:1 degree in an academic subject end up as recruiters.....Also no-one cares 'how many GCSEs' anyone has at this age, so it just looks like you don't have the right mindset to join the workplace.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?
    LOL. Well, it depends; if anyone from this agency moves onto a bigger role in a larger agency, then you probably wouldn't be favourably looked on if you were applying there. Otherwise, it was a stupid thing to do but probably won't harm you in the short-run. It's just surprising how many people you run into again when you start working. It's a small world.

ReputationRep:
    Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

Your email was arrogant and ill-advised. But it hasn't affected the chances of your getting a job. Welcome to the world of work and especially agencies. They're all crap.*

ReputationRep:

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

I can't believe you are actually surprised at the agency's behaviour, you clearly don't have a lot of experience looking for jobs or this is a troll post. Agencies are in no hurry to get you a job, the job you applied for might not even exist, they post fake ads all the time just to get people to come in and register with them. You could hear back from them in a few months or never.

This exact same thing has happened to me. THE EXACT SAME THING. I was really excited about this, they called me in for an interview, and then they were really uninterested nd vague and just said they will be 'in touch'. What you experienced is just how it is everywhere, most agencies are scum.

Another one of my fvs is when they leve you a voicemail to call them back about a job, then you call them, the ***** on the phone says that their collegue is not in / on the phone and will 'call you back in afew minutes' nd then they never call. I sincerely hope their offices get blown up very soon.

That said, no, they are not going to go around telling other agencies that you sent them a rude email, I don't even know how you got that idea or why you think tht's even remotely possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arcenciel21)
    I can't believe you are actually surprised at the agency's behaviour, you clearly don't have a lot of experience looking for jobs or this is a troll post. Agencies are in no hurry to get you a job, the job you applied for might not even exist, they post fake ads all the time just to get people to come in and register with them. You could hear back from them in a few months or never.

This exact same thing has happened to me. THE EXACT SAME THING. I was really excited about this, they called me in for an interview, and then they were really uninterested nd vague and just said they will be 'in touch'. What you experienced is just how it is everywhere, most agencies are scum.

Another one of my fvs is when they leve you a voicemail to call them back about a job, then you call them, the ***** on the phone says that their collegue is not in / on the phone and will 'call you back in afew minutes' nd then they never call. I sincerely hope their offices get blown up very soon.

That said, no, they are not going to go around telling other agencies that you sent them a rude email, I don't even know how you got that idea or why you think tht's even remotely possible.
    I've said earlier in the thread I know how agencies operate and shouldn't have been surprised. I was just annoyed because the lying bell-end knew I'd have to travel an hour to get there when he told me about the fake job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I sense you walked in with this sense of entitlement and attitude, and the recruiters worked out quickly not to waste any further time on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They have an abundance of time, just not the jobs to supply. I actually feel quite good about the situation now. I know it wasn't me, but rather that agency that are the problem. Recruitment consultants are just ***** who failed at school (in general of course, I don't like to judge) and can only succeed by trying to get their little bit of commission to top up their crap salary by placing people in employment (and lying in the process with fake jobs). The ones in back street agencies like this though can't even get that commission though with no jobs to give out! Worthless pieces of ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I was just annoyed because the lying bell-end knew I'd have to travel an hour to get there when he told me about the fake job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And yet you sent the nasty email to Jackie

ReputationRep:
    They have an abundance of time, just not the jobs to supply. I actually feel quite good about the situation now. I know it wasn't me, but rather that agency that are the problem. Recruitment consultants are just ***** who failed at school (in general of course, I don't like to judge) and can only succeed by trying to get their little bit of commission to top up their crap salary by placing people in employment (and lying in the process with fake jobs). The ones in back street agencies like this though can't even get that commission though with no jobs to give out! Worthless pieces of ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for proving my point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    And yet you sent the nasty email to Jackie
    Jackie was the one who 'interviewed' me (if you can call it that), but it was a guy who first called me after I applied.

This 'role' was her responsibility but it was one of the less senior ones that called me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Jackie was the one who 'interviewed' me (if you can call it that), but it was a guy who first called me after I applied.

This 'role' was her responsibility but it was one of the less senior ones that called me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Will you be giving every agency that slights you, the same treatment?
    Lot of anger and attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1939)
    Beyond unprofessional. I think you should send an email out, and apologise. Say that you were frustrated or something.
    That way it hopefully won't backfire later on, if you ever cross ways with the agency or the people you that received your email.
    I don't think sending an apology by email will cut it. I think he ought to send them a hand written letter of apology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I don't think sending an apology by email will cut it. I think he ought to send them a hand written letter of apology.
    I'll be sending them neither. The only thing they'd be getting from me is a turd through their letterbox.

I'm not interested in that joke of an agency, only whether they would prevent me from getting external agency jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Now you just need to post this on like LinkedIn or some blogging site so it can go viral and some employer will think you have balls and offers you a job. Then again most will probably just see you as arrogant and deluded.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sending them neither. The only thing they'd be getting from me is a turd through their letterbox.

I'm not interested in that joke of an agency, only whether they would prevent me from getting external agency jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's all very well and good if you live in quite a large city that has many agencies. But if you are somewhere [or if the agency is] in a relatively small area I would just be concerned that word might get around. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

This is going to bite you big time....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's so funny; pretty impressive writing that after some wine :'D
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    The irony of this is that the actions describe a decent agency that see a decent candidate (or did initially!).

A cheap agency that is just interested on volume applications to retail jobs doesn't bother to call people in and no agency that thinks your CV/application is weak is going to waste it's time calling you in.

However, a decent agency, that thinks it has the sort of jobs that your CV might be good for, will usually call candidates in for an initial interview, just like the OP described. They want to check a) the technicalities, like right to work, hence the passport check, and b) that the person behind the paperwork doesn't have two heads, is coherent and is as good as they look on paper. That way, they can be sure that putting this person forward will reflect well on them.

It doesn't matter for MacD type jobs, but the money in recruiting tends to come from creating strong relationships with employers and becoming their agency of choice, and that means not just finding them the one successful candidate, but consistently putting decent, competitive candidates to them for interview.

So a decent agency, if it gets a decent looking candidate, will invite them in and give them a mini interview, with no specific role in mind. If the candidate handless themselves well and looks good for them to pass on, then the agency will much more actively 'pitch' them to employers. Instead of just being picked out by a word search on their database, they will be actively proposing you to employers. Phrases like 'I met Louise the other day and she's charming, really enthusiastic and looks a really strong contender, I really recommend you short list her' will get you to many more real job interviews. They can't and don't say that about people that are just database filters.

So well done on completely missing the point of what was going on there, and turning a potential win into a massive fail.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.