Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who learns languages in their spare time? Watch

• View Poll Results: What language do you learn as a hobby?
    French
    19.91%
    Spanish/Portugese/Italian
    26.77%
    German
    19.68%
    Chinese/Japanese
    22.20%
    Russian/Slavic
    8.01%
    Celtic language
    3.43%

ReputationRep:
    I would love to learn as many languages as possible.

I did French compulsory at school.. but all I remember is playing noughts and crosses with my friend at the back of our books, I would definetly have tried harder if I could go back now. For GCSE my school was :poo: So the only other option I could do was my mother tongue.
    And in my spare time I started to learn Chinese and Japanese (I'd love to do Korean and Arabic) but lots of things get in the way (GCSE, Alevel, work, Uni, other hobbies, dying) and I kept stopping and trying to pick it back up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Swedish isn't on there :cry: been trying to find the time to learn it but it's been so hard, maybe in a few months.
    Hallå!!! Jag tyker om att lära svenska! I'm trying to pick up little bits of Swedish because it's such a pretty language and the grammar really interests me!

ReputationRep:
    I love languages so much! I'm so proud of everyone learning extra ones they're so useful to have :clap2: I learned Latin, French and Russian at GCSE. I'm trying to pick up French again, doing bits and pieces of Russian, and having a look at Swedish too. On top of that, I love learning about alphabets and trying to learn as many as I can!

ReputationRep:
    I can only really speak German well. I'm starting a modern languages degree in September (German, Dutch & Russian) so I've done some very basic Dutch and Russian drills on Duolingo and Memrise, but nothing has really gone in... I'm sure it will be useful for when I start my degree though and my memory will be jogged. I've got the Russian version of the cyrillic alphabet sorted though (but it's not really that difficult), it's just a case of nailing pronounciation - mainly ы and щ.

I've also tried to teach myself Finnish in my spare time after visiting Helsinki and making loads of friends out there. It's way too difficult though since it's not an indo-european language, and it will just get in the way of my degree. I'd like to come back to it one day though. I think Finnish is a beautiful sounding language, it's so bumpy... ja minä rakastan suomea.

ReputationRep:
    People who haven't heard of Google translate

ReputationRep:
    Would like to at least improve my french but im lazy asf xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    I’m doing french in school atm, starting spanish as well as french gcse next year, but I also learn Welsh in my spare time, and did do Japanese although I’ve forgotten most of it :P. What languages do you guys learn?
    I'm fluent in English (native), French and Spanish. I'm alright at Italian, although I tend to mix French and Spanish when I speak it and hope for the best.

I really want to learn Dutch. I know several words and phrases, and I can get around. It's such a wacky language, and I'm sure it'll impress
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I did GCSE French.

Je l'adorais! :france:

ReputationRep:
    German learner here! I need to expand my vocab and polish my grammar (that damn grammar :rofl:), but I just love it, especially this:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I do GCSE Computing so I know some python, learning Javascript and pseudocode.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I didn't take any languages at GCSE, so I just did the few required years of French and German. My school attendance wasn't strong enough to support language GCSEs really so I decided against it. I've started slowly learning Spanish and Japanese though. It's a brilliant hobby and one I hope to really develop. I plan to start building on my German again at some point as well

ReputationRep:
    Russian, comrades. :sexface:

I did GCSE German but i hated it.

I wish i was 100% fluent in my native language though.

ReputationRep:
    I learned Danish in my spare time (interest followed by Danish partner and moving to Denmark) and now I have a part-time job as a Danish-English translator. Paid oooooffffffffff (that and I get paid to study here and am majorly integrated, which isn't half bad as a package)! Keep it up guys.

I chose German in the poll because I now occasionally try to dust that off after studying it to a high level previously and it taking a serious back seat to Danish. I still pick up Danish words here and there but I wouldn't call it my hobby any longer, I don't work on it consciously.

I would like to properly learn Swedish at some point because it sounds really cool (and it would be relatively easy given the Danish).

ReputationRep:
    French was compulsory at secondary school for me. I hated being forced to do a GCSE I didn't want to do at the time, but by the time year 11 came around I began to enjoy exploring a different language and managed to get an A in the end. Now I am learning Japanese independently. Eastern languages are different lmao, but it's a lot of fun! It's a shame that my school only offered one foreign language, looking back now...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The question has to be: what a language I would learn in my spare time at the moment, if I would have enough of it?

Spanish, as it is easier to learn according to my knowledge in Latin. I even thought about the exotic sounding language Japanese, but it would last a lot of years till being quite fluently in it. *

ReputationRep:
    I've been studying Japanese as a hobby for a while now and to anyone who's thinking about starting don't worry about people complaining it's difficult, it's not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning: Italian, Swedish, Norwegian, french.

I love new languages and have a passion for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm learning Modern Greek! So far, I am using the GreekPod101 audio/video course, languagetransfer and watching Greek TV! I'm waiting for the duolingo app to release the Greek course but it's taking forever ! 😑

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi- how are you learning the Danish language? Is there a useful technique you use or an app?

I was born there and have forgotten the language and find pronounciatons very difficult.

Any advice is very welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.