Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've seen this thread for a while now and deem it pointless. It seems everyone disagrees to the idea but GE persists in arguing and apparently *winking* at members who give good reasons for this being a naff idea; particularily a pendantic one. Furthermore GE you seem to be showing extreme arrogance in this thread. TSR is a forum which adopts to new changes according to a majority vote, hence the suggestions of a poll; which you have not created, but found it a better option to argue with members.
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Either you're deliberately trying to insult me, or by "I did read it" you mean "I just looked at the pictures". The alphabetical thing was a minor passing point that's featured in about two of my posts as an explanation for why I was originally confused, a year ago. If you think I'm asking them to change it to "Camford" you're dumber than I thought. Stop insulting me, it's really not necessary, and please stop talking until you have an idea of what this thread's about.
    Are you kidding me? You have endlessly insulted moderators and members who are older and wiser than you;
    Do take the time to read what I'm saying before blindly insulting me next time, there's a good girl.
    (Original post by Shady lane)
    I'm waiting for the UCL and Imperial students to complain that they have to look under "L" for "London unis" instead of having a shared subforum.

Just kidding...they're not nearly that up on themselves to complain about something like that.
    Here, you're being patriotic and clutching at straws.

Kindly take note that the Oxbridge sub-fora will stay the way it is as has been declared by the Oxbridge moderator unless there is a majority vote otherwise. Also, you shouldn't have the right to suggest a change for a university forum which you aren't a student of.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Decota)
    I've seen this thread for a while now and deem it pointless. It seems everyone disagrees to the idea but GE persists in arguing and apparently *winking* at members who give good reasons for this being a naff idea; particularily a pendantic one. Furthermore GE you seem to be showing extreme arrogance in this thread. TSR is a forum which adopts to new changes according to a majority vote, hence the suggestions of a poll; which you have not created, but found it a better option to argue with members.
    Are you kidding me? You have endlessly insulted moderators and members who are older and wiser than you;

Here, you're being patriotic and clutching at straws.

Kindly take note that the Oxbridge sub-fora will stay the way it is as has been declared by the Oxbridge moderator unless there is a majority vote otherwise. Also, you shouldn't have the right to suggest a change for a university forum which you aren't a student of.
    Are you actually gonna say anything against the points I've raised, or just call what I'm saying pointless, call me argumentative, pedantic, arrogant, insulting, patriotic, imply I'm a sycophant and generally stupid, and condemn everything I'm saying on the basis of stuff like "you're not a student of this university so if you dare to express an opinion I can insult you"? This post of yours was a bit of a pathetic attempt at making me look stupid really. Can we keep on topic, or must this descend into an argument?

ReputationRep:
    Yes but everytime we try to stay on topic and offer our own contributions to your arguement you accuse of not understanding what you're saying. This thread is really just you asserting your opinions whilst ignoring everyone elses now! So really, what was the point in making a discussion about it if you're not willing to discuss?

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see that you have important things to worry about generalebriety.

It's not exactly a big issue, and is probably best the way it is (cue stu's arguments)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    You've misunderstood my argument I'm afraid. I was arguing that the link between oxford and cambridge is justified, i wasn't arguing that a link between cambridge and any other university is unjustified. And anyway, your interpretation is still flawed because you seem to think that just because you can make connections between two universities (st andrews and cambridge in your case), you assume that people automatically DO make these comparisons.
    But people do make comparisons between Cambridge and other universities apart from Oxford, they even do it on TSR.

As I said in my "gowns" example, I didn't care if there were other universities that had similar traditions - and you've clearly given an example of one that does - because it doesn't lessen my point, which is that when discussing things about Cambridge, many people can't help but compare it to Oxford.
    The structure of the forum, I believe, is clearly going to play a significant part in that on TSR. I personally I have had numerous conversations about the relative traditions between St Andrews and Cambridge (or Oxford) without the name of the other cropping up once.

And I can tell you, people DO compare Oxford and Cambridge - it's an on-going petty battle over which is "better", I guess. If people started comparing Cambridge to St Andrews in many of it's aspects, I would fully support a Stanbridge forum or something similar - but just because comparisons CAN be made, doesn't mean they ARE made.
    People compare lots of universities on TSR, does that mean we should lump them all together in a single forum? The structure of that particular section doesn't generally follow a recognisable structure and it is hard to navigate your way to the university you want to, what with there being several different categorisations in place at the same time.

And to generalebriety, Selwyn is a college, and so by default it has many aspects that are similar to colleges in Cambridge. Yes, some specific aspects as "quickest route to centre of town" are completely seperate, but questions like that are also completely separate aspects from the other colleges at Cambridge! So if you argue that aspects like that mean that Oxford is seperate to Cambridge, than surely all the colleges deserve their own forum - because I don't want to have to hear about the quickest route to the centre of town from Selwyn when I dont even go to that college!

Do you get my point?
    Well it would be a lot easier to have seperate college forums if you had seperate oxford and cambridge forums. I just find it very strange that certain universities are given their own space and others aren't and there doesn't seem to be a consistent policy about how that is decided.

ReputationRep:
    Are you actually gonna say anything against the points I've raised, or just call what I'm saying pointless, call me argumentative, pedantic, arrogant, insulting, patriotic, imply I'm a sycophant and generally stupid, and condemn everything I'm saying on the basis of stuff like "you're not a student of this university so if you dare to express an opinion I can insult you"? This post of yours was a bit of a pathetic attempt at making me look stupid really. Can we keep on topic, or must this descend into an argument?
    Is there any need to say anything? I understand your point and it may be a logical one in your perspective, but not one favored by all as you can see. It's time for a poll if you want to see a change like that take place.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Decota)
    Is there any need to say anything? I understand your point and it may be a logical one in your perspective, but not one favored by all as you can see. It's time for a poll if you want to see a change like that take place.
    There certainly wasn't a need to insult me. I said right at the beginning that I thought this entire thread was in vain, I only wanted to gauge opinions. I never for a second believed anyone would change it. It's too much of a small, pedantic change that would cause far too many complaints from the regulars for anyone to be bothered doing it. I wanted to gauge opinions and I've done that, and incidentally, I've converted some people too. So I'm not just entirely speaking out of my arse.

(Original post by samba)
    Nice to see that you have important things to worry about generalebriety.
    Ahh, good old samba. Assuming that every "important thing" I have to worry about will get posted in About.

(Original post by Je$$ica)
    Yes but everytime we try to stay on topic and offer our own contributions to your arguement you accuse of not understanding what you're saying. This thread is really just you asserting your opinions whilst ignoring everyone elses now! So really, what was the point in making a discussion about it if you're not willing to discuss?
    You didn't really contribute anything. You started off by saying what your opinion was, but then completely rubbished it all by saying it depended what you used it for and it was completely subjective (which means that my opinion is about as valid as yours), and then avoided the whole topic entirely by saying how difficult it would be to implement and that there'd be complaints, which I never doubted from the start. All you've done is said "I think this, but some people don't... anyway, it'd be more trouble than it's worth", which doesn't really address anything I said, it's just a statement of your opinion. No offence intended, but really, your opinion is not what I wanted to hear. I can see the other side of the argument sufficiently to know what your opinion is going to be. I wanted people to tell me what was wrong with my opinion - it is, as you said, a subjective issue, so us blindly stating opinions at each other won't get anyone anywhere.

(Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well it would be a lot easier to have seperate college forums if you had seperate oxford and cambridge forums. I just find it very strange that certain universities are given their own space and others aren't and there doesn't seem to be a consistent policy about how that is decided.
    Another good point. If we were being consistent about it, there'd be an "Oxford unis" forum with Oxford and Oxford Brookes in it. I mean, consistency isn't what I was arguing (just before someone comes and has a go at me for this), but it's definitely a good point. Some are grouped by city (Bristol unis), some are grouped by the entire country (Scottish unis), some just aren't even though they could be (Oxford Brookes), some - well, two - are grouped by their similarities (Oxbridge). It's very illogical.

(Original post by Generalebriety)
    I said right at the beginning that I thought this entire thread was in vain, I only wanted to gauge opinions
    No offence intended, but really, your opinion is not what I wanted to hear.
    Riiight...

If you wanted to gauge opinions, why did you ignore my suggestion to set up a poll? You said yourself you didn't expect anything to change when you started the thread, so your response of 'Oh what's the point, nothing will change anyway' seems invalid now.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by fleur de lis)
    Riiight...
    Heh, bad phrasing on my part, maybe, but I stand by it. I didn't want to hear her opinion because it was exactly the same as various other people's opinions, and I wanted to know what problems people had with my opinion. Throughout this thread, not many people have actually challenged my opinion (though a few have, and I'm grateful), most people have just stated their own opinion again. True, I wanted to gauge opinions, but when they're all the same and no one will tell me what's actually wrong with what I'm saying (because they're all too busy going on about what's right with what they're saying), I get slightly bored.

(Original post by fleur de lis)
    If you wanted to gauge opinions, why did you ignore my suggestion to set up a poll? You said yourself you didn't expect anything to change when you started the thread, so your response of 'Oh what's the point, nothing will change anyway' seems invalid now.
    What could I have put in a poll if I didn't know what people's opinions were? I knew I was always going to be in the minority and I never needed proof of that, I wanted a discussion. :p:

You're a strange one, Generalebriety :s:

ReputationRep:
    None of my business really, but I think he has a point.

ReputationRep:
    F1, Willa, Je$$ica: I think you've misunderstood what I'm on about entirely. My argument is that I don't think Oxford and Cambridge are fully contained within the term "Oxbridge". It's pedantry, maybe, but it's a purely linguistic argument. It'd be like putting the entertainment forum inside the music forum rather than vice-versa - at least, to my mind. But, never mind.
    I'm not sure even you know what you're on about given that every time we make any comment (surely we must have covered most now except agreeing with you) we apparently don't understand :p:.

To me, and for most I think, Oxbridge entirely encompasses both Oxford and Cambridge. Your argument of music and entertainment doesn't even work, since surely it would be just as ludicrous to have Oxbridge within the cambridge forum say. The alternative would be 2 completely separate and isolated forums which isn't ideal either. Even if you have hyperlinks within the Oxbridge forum, to a separate full forum, then the end result is the same as it is now to all intents and purposes.

Surely, for a discussion exclusive to Cambridge, you post in the Cambridge sub-forum. That's what it is there for. Oxbridge splits into Oxford and Cambridge which then have their own specific forums. I fail to see anything non-sensical or wrong with this.

Who knows. People at Cambridge or Oxford are of course going to have a different view of the term Oxbridge. I come from a family where no one's gone to university so in my experience it really does mean something very different. This was my main point, anyway.
    Yes, we have a different view, but I don't think your family history has much to do with it. Mine didn't go to university either, so what? I think more to the point is that you are at a different (possibly middle ground) position whereby you are past the stage of being interested in the generalities and not yet at the stage of wishing to make comparisons or embrace the Oxbridge rivalry/comaraderie.

Btw, on the topic of which unis get their own subforums, I think it's quite simple. Like most things in life it is driven by demand. The Oxbridge forums are I would guess the most active uni forums on the site (or certainly up there) while many of the smaller ones grouped together are not. There is no point in having ghost forums where only 3 people post.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I'm not sure even you know what you're on about given that every time we make any comment (surely we must have covered most now except agreeing with you) we apparently don't understand :p:.
    If you understood what I was on about, why would you keep telling me I was wrong, as if we share the same opinion? You say things like this:
    Oxbridge entirely encompasses both Oxford and Cambridge.
    The alternative would be 2 completely separate and isolated forums which isn't ideal either.
    then the end result is the same as it is now to all intents and purposes.
    ...which I think are either beside the point, or which I disagree with. I find it hard to believe you understand what I'm on about when you keep posting things like this as if they're fact, when I've made it clear already that I disagree. Then you say things like:
    I fail to see anything non-sensical or wrong with this.
    You're perfectly entitled to have this opinion, but you haven't convinced me yet. I've pointed out what I think is nonsensical about it, and either you haven't understood, or you've missed it. Either that or you've understood but tacitly disagreed and not really told me why in any way that I understand. I'm sorry, but I genuinely believe we're not going to get anything out of this argument. For one reason or another, I'm not happy with your arguments and you're not happy with mine. Let's just leave it there.

(Original post by F1 fanatic)
    Yes, we have a different view, but I don't think your family history has much to do with it. Mine didn't go to university either, so what? I think more to the point is that you are at a different (possibly middle ground) position whereby you are past the stage of being interested in the generalities and not yet at the stage of wishing to make comparisons or embrace the Oxbridge rivalry/comaraderie.
    Aye, but I'm sure when you were in my position you would've thought similarly, whereas people whose parents went to one of the two universities would already be a part of the rivalry. Either way, we have different interpretations of this term.

ReputationRep:
    GE - i am challenging your opinion. In my opinion, the two are very much interlinked. HOWEVER. much to your displeasure, it appears, i like to accept both sides of an arguement in putting forward my opinions, which is why i said it is subjective etc. Of course your opinion is a valid as mine! Is that such a bad thing to convey? I disagree with you because of the reasons i stated about it being more logical to me. However, i accept that some people will agree with you. I'm afraid i'm not arrogant enough to assert that my opinion is the right one, i was simply offering you another perspective, which you dont seem to want. So again, i ask, whats the point in this "discussion"?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Je$$ica)
    GE - i am challenging your opinion. In my opinion, the two are very much interlinked. HOWEVER. much to your displeasure, it appears, i like to accept both sides of an arguement in putting forward my opinions, which is why i said it is subjective etc. Of course your opinion is a valid as mine! Is that such a bad thing to convey? I disagree with you because of the reasons i stated about it being more logical to me. However, i accept that some people will agree with you. I'm afraid i'm not arrogant enough to assert that my opinion is the right one, i was simply offering you another perspective, which you dont seem to want. So again, i ask, whats the point in this "discussion"?
    Huh? I have no problem with you stating that it's subjective, you just didn't seem to challenge my opinion at all. You put yours forward and I was kind of left to work out why you held that opinion rather than mine. What I really want to know is why you disagree with me. We've pretty much already worked out that you do, and we know what your opinion is. :p: I'm trying to work out why your opinion makes more sense to you than mine does.

ReputationRep:
    because i'm well cool like and always right cuz i'm so clever innit?

is that not sufficient? Damnit... okay

Because i think the majority of people who make threads in the oxbridge/oxford/cambridge forums on TSR are prospective undergrads such as myself and therefore, using a bit of utilitarianism, it makes more sense to leave it in a way which benefits the majority?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.