Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    Jamie - if you didn't have parents that went to uni or come from a poor school there are schemes that allow you to bypass some of the grades. For example Sheffield run a scheme where if you were eligible you are guaranteed an interview. Would be worth looking at your nearest unis to see.
    Yeah I went to a very poor high school. I have just checked the newspaper article and 33/99 pupils gained 5+ GCSE's, not necessarily all including English and Maths which would further decrease the number. Also 32 pupils gained 0 GCSEs which makes my results seem much better in perspective. The college I am also going to qualifies for contextual data which could also work in my favour if I do well. Yeah Sheffield isn't too far away. I also have Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool as 'local' med schools.

Edit: The only person in my family who has ever gone to uni is my uncle and I hardly speak to him so I have no family history at uni

ReputationRep:
    Just got my results and got 6 A*s and 6 As. Im going to remark all 3 sciences as they are all in between 1-3 UMS marks off. Will i still make it into Oxbridge (imagining i get 4 A*s at A level)? Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    AABBBBBB - I realised very late that Medicine was something that interested and captivated me, I have experience working in Pharmacy and have qualifications regarding that, but I know I'm affected by my GCSE grades.

Any ideas on where I should look at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walid_123)
    Just got my results and got 6 A*s and 6 As. Im going to remark all 3 sciences as they are all in between 1-3 UMS marks off. Will i still make it into Oxbridge (imagining i get 4 A*s at A level)? Thanks for your reply.
    I got 6 A*s 4 As 3Bs and I got interviewed at Cambridge medicine. With good AS scores you can get into Cambridge. For Oxford medicine it may be a bit tougher with 6A*s and 6 As as they weight your GCSEs and BMAT. Compensating for your GCSEs in the BMAT will be tough because of how difficult the BMAT is.

ReputationRep:
    I got
    1A* (Graphics)
    5A (Maths, Core Science, Additional Science, Computing and Business)
    2B(Statistics 2015, English Literature)
    C (English Language)Would I still stand a chance to get into medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I received my GCSE results last week. I gained a D in my additional science GCSE. When I contacted the school I was 8 marks off a C grade. School are not keen to put forward for a remark, as they say that this is too many marks away from a C. Has anyone got a remark with so many marks away in science and got a positive grade change?Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierogers21)
    My GCSE results were;
    Maths A*
    RS A*
    Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    History B
    Spanish B
    ICT C
    So 2A*s 3As 4Bs and C, I went to a very very poor school where over 30 kids didn't get ANY GCSEs so hopefully this gives me a boost. I will be doing Maths, Bio and Chem next year do I realistically have a chance?
    Bruh do not worry about it. I got 3 A*'s, 5 A's and 3 B's and I'm starting Cambridge for medicine in 2 weeks. Unfortunately some of us go to awful high schools but medical schools take that into account.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.