Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

MEDICINE - *RESULTS DAY 2016* - GCSE Results Discussion & Advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    Jamie - if you didn't have parents that went to uni or come from a poor school there are schemes that allow you to bypass some of the grades. For example Sheffield run a scheme where if you were eligible you are guaranteed an interview. Would be worth looking at your nearest unis to see.
    Yeah I went to a very poor high school. I have just checked the newspaper article and 33/99 pupils gained 5+ GCSE's, not necessarily all including English and Maths which would further decrease the number. Also 32 pupils gained 0 GCSEs which makes my results seem much better in perspective. The college I am also going to qualifies for contextual data which could also work in my favour if I do well. Yeah Sheffield isn't too far away. I also have Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds and Liverpool as 'local' med schools.

Edit: The only person in my family who has ever gone to uni is my uncle and I hardly speak to him so I have no family history at uni

ReputationRep:
    Just got my results and got 6 A*s and 6 As. Im going to remark all 3 sciences as they are all in between 1-3 UMS marks off. Will i still make it into Oxbridge (imagining i get 4 A*s at A level)? Thanks for your reply.

ReputationRep:
    AABBBBBB - I realised very late that Medicine was something that interested and captivated me, I have experience working in Pharmacy and have qualifications regarding that, but I know I'm affected by my GCSE grades.

Any ideas on where I should look at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walid_123)
    Just got my results and got 6 A*s and 6 As. Im going to remark all 3 sciences as they are all in between 1-3 UMS marks off. Will i still make it into Oxbridge (imagining i get 4 A*s at A level)? Thanks for your reply.
    I got 6 A*s 4 As 3Bs and I got interviewed at Cambridge medicine. With good AS scores you can get into Cambridge. For Oxford medicine it may be a bit tougher with 6A*s and 6 As as they weight your GCSEs and BMAT. Compensating for your GCSEs in the BMAT will be tough because of how difficult the BMAT is.

ReputationRep:
    I got
    1A* (Graphics)
    5A (Maths, Core Science, Additional Science, Computing and Business)
    2B(Statistics 2015, English Literature)
    C (English Language)Would I still stand a chance to get into medicine?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, looking for a bit of advice. I received my GCSE results last week. I gained a D in my additional science GCSE. When I contacted the school I was 8 marks off a C grade. School are not keen to put forward for a remark, as they say that this is too many marks away from a C. Has anyone got a remark with so many marks away in science and got a positive grade change?Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierogers21)
    My GCSE results were;
    Maths A*
    RS A*
    Biology A
    Chemistry A
    Physics A
    English Language B
    English Literature B
    History B
    Spanish B
    ICT C
    So 2A*s 3As 4Bs and C, I went to a very very poor school where over 30 kids didn't get ANY GCSEs so hopefully this gives me a boost. I will be doing Maths, Bio and Chem next year do I realistically have a chance?
    Bruh do not worry about it. I got 3 A*'s, 5 A's and 3 B's and I'm starting Cambridge for medicine in 2 weeks. Unfortunately some of us go to awful high schools but medical schools take that into account.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: September 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.