Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Guardian: 'We are Europeans. Brexit will make us face up to it' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Before Brexit, I didn't know that so many British young were so in love with a political system led by people like JC Junkers and JM Barroso.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Why does that matter? Just because we are the same ethnicity doesn't mean we have more in common with them.
    It matters because you share the same culture with them. You are basically American and have nothing in comon with Poland or Italy.

We are collectivistic societies and care a lot about our fatherland and etnicity. You on other hand see it normal to import millions of Africans ans muslims. We care about social norms you not.

So you are better off to be with US. You speak the same language as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    So you are saying they are German?
    No. I am not following you. Where do you get this assumption?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Before Brexit, I didn't know that so many British young were so in love with a political system led by people like JC Junkers and JM Barroso.
    To be fair many of them are children of immigrants and do not apreciate the old strong UK like the indigenous Brits. There are also many Scots among them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Thing is though: there are no countries as different a A and Z in the EU. We all share a basic set of values and cultural traits, and they don't prevent us from celebrating our differences and using them for each other's benefit.

It's indirect representation, mate. Every EU member state -and its inhabitants- profits from the EU, and in return you give up a few privileges (and monies) and accept that people who have been elected by the people who you elected make decisions. Pretty much everyone in the EU is fine with that - apart from you lot... and now you'll pay the price.
    The issue with the EU was that everyone had the same voice. Matters that would have bad consequences for the UK but would be good for a few minor EU countries we would be outvoted on, despite being a main player. I don't care if it takes 5, 10, 50 years, we'll make a success out of Brexit. The EU is going downhill fast, and I'm glad we got off the sinking ship. So whilst you're sitting back saying "jumping from us will be a hard fall Britain" we'll be watching you frogs sitting in a pot of slowly boiling water, unaware of your inevitable fallout.

P.S. Best thing for Germany is to get Merkel out of power, something that looks like it will happen in 2017.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slaven)
    To be fair many of them are children of immigrants and do not apreciate the old strong UK like the indigenous Brits. There are also many Scots among them.
    To be fair the Scots are a bunch of cucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    THIS takes the cake, it MUST be the most stupid thing you have said so far. Please don't prove me wrong.

Sure, that is why I studied and practised it to the point where I linguistically and argumentatively dominate an.

Not necessarily stupidity (even though that is surely often the case), but definitely mono-culturalism, a narrow intellectual horizon, and lack of cultural and linguistic curiosity.

Russian or Mandarin probably, yeah. Definitely the case with other European languages.

No, that is not what I want. Where did I say that? That is the opposite of what I want.

Adorable. I've lived in Hong Kong, knowledge of English is very poor there, and nobody cares about Britain anymore. All these countries can be visited by anyone, and they have so much less in common with Britain in terms of culture and history than most European nations.
    Du sollst wissen Deutschland wäre von anderen Europäischen Völker geliebt falls es wieder patriotisch sein wied.

Das Welt braucht wieder ein Deutschland wie es zwischen 1871 und 1918 war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshDawg)
    From what I see they are unloyal to British unity and hypocrits because they have benefited a lot from the Union I am sure in case of an foreign invasion on UK they would turn against Britain.

That is why I think it is the best to kick Scots from the Union.

ReputationRep:

P.S. Best thing for Germany is to get Merkel out of power, something that looks like it will happen in 2017.
    M8, since you mentioned Germany and tge EU there some thing to clarify and which explains a lot why Germany is pushing for a federalised Europe.

The average German (I would say about 80% of Germans) hates its german indetity due to its Nazi past and holocaust. They were thought from early stages that they are basically evil people and that patriotism is something bad.

So the german political elite on a subconscious level decides to replace the notion of germanhood with a pan-European indentity. Unfortunately the average people in Germany are accepting this view.

Since Germany united in 1871 from many little independent states, so why not do the same on a European level? That is the logic of the german.establisment.

Once you have this on mind it will be clearer to you why is Merkel pushing for the euro or insisting on free movement. And it also explains why Germans are buthurt because of Brexit

That is why Germany (or be precisely the BRD) will keep fanatically pushing for an "ever closer union".

What do they not want to understand is that this project of European superstate cannot be achieved. Every Euro nation has its own unique culture which are opposedly different to each other.

In Germany it is common to work 12 hours a day for example. In souther Europe they have different habits.
    Poland and easter Europe are collectivistic societies like UK where individualism matters.

ReputationRep:
    It matters because you share the same culture with them. You are basically American and have nothing in comon with Poland or Italy.

We are collectivistic societies and care a lot about our fatherland and etnicity. You on other hand see it normal to import millions of Africans ans muslims. We care about social norms you not.

So you are better off to be with US. You speak the same language as well.
    That's too simplistic. But yes, I think we have more in common with commonwealth nations and were historically not so collectivist, or more pertinently, authoritarian. It's not true at all to say we see it normal to import so many muslims and africans etc. That would be a recent perception of the UK, that has gone along with EU memebrship and a very different politics since Blair who was very influenced by Gramscianism and collectivism, and zealous about mass immigration. It seems like what Germany is doing. However it is true to say we have had far more historical cultural ties with non-caucasian, and non christian places such as India, and the Caribbean, and many more integrated people who are very British. It's true to say we have a less ethnically and religiously based sense of nationalism, whereby people can be Caribbean and British patriots, Hindu and as British as anyone, and the civic nationalism of the commonwealth is a factor(although admittedly not in some total ignorant cavepeople who know nothing of their own country or history or the world) and for that I'm proud.

However recent governments have jeapordised this and caused tensions with stuoid policies and I believe as well that the EU is another layer of identity, not to mention bad politics that detract from our self-determination, that I don't want.

I am not anti -European, I think the EU and Eurozone is bad news, especially for the South of Europe, ad you say they have very different cultures. That's why I want us to got back to sovereign nations and currencies, maybe with some smaller block allegiances, that co-operate when we need too.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian and it's fellow broadsheets will say anything to appease the middle-class left as that is it's readership - just like people on social media who think it's "cool" to do so or don't want to be unfriended for having an opinion (I personally couldn't give a ****) . Some of the stuff that was put on social media was hilarious, ultimately, the public spoke- the "Brexit" vote won. How I was happy.

ReputationRep:
    From what I see they are unloyal to British unity and hypocrits because they have benefited a lot from the Union I am sure in case of an foreign invasion on UK they would turn against Britain.

That is why I think it is the best to kick Scots from the Union.
    In case of a foreign invasion to the UK??? Think that already happened a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    No. I am not following you. Where do you get this assumption?
    Angel Sachsen.

Germans.

ReputationRep:
    Wow......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Wow......
    There's nothing like a good sensible debate eh? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    There's nothing like a good sensible debate eh? :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't be surprised if the majority of brexiters felt that way too. They tend to be pretty good at xenophobia.

ReputationRep:
    end of the day all dese econonic and politicial experts know nothin. they may have gone cambridge, les, oxford etc but that doesnt mean they are smarterer than me does it? Ive got my BTECs in what world are they smarterer than me?

anyway. I dont listen to expert advice from educationed ppl. Thats why im on the way to the postman know instead of doctors who can hopefully diagnosed my medical conditions.

#makebritaingreat #farage #controlourborders

ReputationRep:
    I'm just a old racist leave voter who wanted to smash your childhood dream. Looks like I succeeded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
    But yes, I think we have more in common with commonwealth nations
    I think that is too simplistic. During my university years, I came into contact with folks from all over Europe. I found common interests and ideas in all of them. Similarly with people from all over the world.

The problem I see in debates like this is that we see Europe and their bunch of different languages and tastes and assume we are different to them. But we forget that we love French bread, French fries, German cars and beer, Spanish food, Swiss clocks and so on. In my own experience, I would say I have more in common with someone from France than from Australia, let alone someone from India or Jamaica. But there again, when I meet folks from these countries, suddenly it turns out I have more in common than even I thought.

Assuming we are different to another nation, or group of nations says more about us as individuals than of reality. When you look another person in the eye, suddenly the laws of decency come to the surface and the blind stereotyping no longer works.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.