Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OfficialHarambe)
    The ****ing zookeeper could have just drugged me but no...
    Triggered..... Just like the zookeeper

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    But you're ignoring the actual point. Saying "drugs are for mugs" asserts that anyone who takes drugs is a "mug". Even if there was only one person ever who took drugs and was very smart, then this statement would therefore be false. But the reality is that there have been many very smart and talented people who have taken drugs, and that even in the general population, many many drug users are smart people. Take a look at this study http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/1...to-take-drugs/
    Lets follow that example for a second. Say half the world took drugs, half didn't. If only one person's life were positively influenced by drug use, and 3.5 billion other's lives were ruined by it, you'd tell me that "drugs are not for mugs"? In exactly the same way, a very small few are immune to HIV, so would you go on and say "have unprotected sex with random partners, these few people prove its not true that it's a bad thing to do"? And you're completely side-skirting the fact that insomnia and depression also positively correlate with IQ. Saying "drugs are for mugs" is false because smart people take them, is like saying "rape is for mugs" because smart people rape, or any statement to that effect really. Because you have the correlation backwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirKyrgystan)
    Lets follow that example for a second. Say half the world took drugs, half didn't. If only one person's life were positively influenced by drug use, and 3.5 billion other's lives were ruined by it, you'd tell me that "drugs are not for mugs"? In exactly the same way, a very small few are immune to HIV, so would you go on and say "have unprotected sex with random partners, these few people prove its not true that it's a bad thing to do"? And you're completely side-skirting the fact that insomnia and depression also positively correlate with IQ. Saying "drugs are for mugs" is false because smart people take them, is like saying "rape is for mugs" because smart people rape, or any statement to that effect really. Because you have the correlation backwards.
    Gosh, is this actually true?

ReputationRep:
    People can do what they want as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's not harming anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what drug we're talking about and how the person uses it. I love how people casually forget that alcohol is also a drug, probably because it's socially acceptable to drink it and it's legal. It's much easier for someone who smokes cannabis to lead a normal life when compared to a crystal meth user. The problem with drugs (and lots of other things) is that it's easy to get addicted and that's where it all goes downhill. The people you reference as drug users probably weren't addicts and just used drugs occasionally to get a kick out of it, or for whatever reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DicksOut4Haram)
    Gosh, is this actually true?
    Yeah, can't say I know much about it other than it being due to some rare genetic cell mutation, but some (very few, really) people do have an immunity to HIV. Pretty dope eh?

ReputationRep:
    You'd be very surprised as to who actually takes drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirKyrgystan)
    Saying "rape is for mugs" is also false. If someone is a rapist it says little about their intelligence (as far as I know). As does drug using, except for the fact that studies do seem to show that drug users generally have slightly higher IQs, which at least measures a certain kind of intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    It really depends on what drug we're talking about and how the person uses it. I love how people casually forget that alcohol is also a drug, probably because it's socially acceptable to drink it and it's legal. It's much easier for someone who smokes cannabis to lead a normal life when compared to a crystal meth user. The problem with drugs (and lots of other things) is that it's easy to get addicted and that's where it all goes downhill. The people you reference as drug users probably weren't addicts and just used drugs occasionally to get a kick out of it, or for whatever reason.
    Some of them were drug addicts, and they suffered from it.

ReputationRep:
    Some of them were drug addicts, and they suffered from it.
    That's not the best road to go down... :')

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm sure your typical drug gang are doing it for creative inspiration...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says this phrase with any amount of seriousness is surely a philistine, an anti-intellectual, and someone severely lacking in knowledge. How can anyone claim this when Berlioz wrote at least a portion of his famous "Symphony Fantastique" whilst high on opium, Coleridge wrote the "Kubla Khan" after an opium influenced dream, Francis Crick used acid, Freud snorted large amounts of coke, Steve Jobs dropped acid, Robert Louis Stevenson wrote "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" on a six day coke binge, and there are countless other drug using geniuses like Baudelaire, Aldous Huxley, Philip K ****, Hunter Thompson, William Burroughs, Ken Kesey, Jack Kerouac, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Plant, Charlie Parker, Martin Scorsese... the list is endless...
    Forget mugs... Frauds.

I'm creative af without drugs could outdo them.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who says this phrase with any amount of seriousness is surely a philistine, an anti-intellectual, and someone severely lacking in knowledge. How can anyone claim this when Berlioz wrote at least a portion of his famous "Symphony Fantastique" whilst high on opium, Coleridge wrote the "Kubla Khan" after an opium influenced dream, Francis Crick used acid, Freud snorted large amounts of coke, Steve Jobs dropped acid, Robert Louis Stevenson wrote "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" on a six day coke binge, and there are countless other drug using geniuses like Baudelaire, Aldous Huxley, Philip K ****, Hunter Thompson, William Burroughs, Ken Kesey, Jack Kerouac, David Bowie, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Plant, Charlie Parker, Martin Scorsese... the list is endless...
    But when you apply it to the general population and in particular the youth of the socioeconomic poor. They use drugs because their life is truly unbearable and doing drugs is the only way they see to cope, "Smoke dope, can't cope". And think about the long term effects drugs such as weed has on the individual, it quite literally turns you into a dopey ****er and can over a prolonged period of time turn you psychotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Yeah, I'm sure your typical drug gang are doing it for creative inspiration...
    Try to expand your world view beyond Talk To Frank adverts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold Godwinson)
    But when you apply it to the general population and in particular the youth of the socioeconomic poor. They use drugs because their life is truly unbearable and doing drugs is the only way they see to cope, "Smoke dope, can't cope". And think about the long term effects drugs such as weed has on the individual, it quite literally turns you into a dopey ****er and can over a prolonged period of time turn you psychotic.
    I, like many of my friends, used to use drugs because they were both fun and interesting. Not because my life was unbearable. The same goes for the vast majority of drug users I knew. Only relatively few actually end up using drugs as a way of making their lives bearable.

Also, those "long term effects" of weed only effect some people. Weed is generally pretty safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    That's not the best road to go down... :'
    It isn't, and I'm not saying it is. They weren't mugs though.

ReputationRep:
    I, like many of my friends, used to use drugs because they were both fun and interesting. Not because my life was unbearable. The same goes for the vast majority of drug users I knew. Only relatively few actually end up using drugs as a way of making their lives bearable.

Also, those "long term effects" of weed only effect some people. Weed is generally pretty safe.
    It's been scientifically proven to effect most people, but long as you're not going around screaming like a madman who am I to judge?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    How many people have they messed up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am 1/Cos(C))
    I'm drug-free myself but I agree.

A huge number of successful and intelligent people use drugs, the biggest thing which shocked me growing up about drugs was that the average drug-user is intelligent, articulate and perfectly capable of functioning rather than looking like someone from a government propaganda advertisement.
    I just get what ur name is/means...... that's a good one!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.