Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biggest academic achievements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazysue1)
    Not me but my youngest son...

He has complex autism plus other disabilities and because of this we were informed he would never be able to go to into a mainstream high school, never do GCSEs and would struggle to do life skills. He did half days at school until he was 11, finally going full time in the second term of year 6 but even then, his attendance was well below the average due to hospital stays etc. He spent his year 6 SATS under the desk completely unable to cope.

He is now 18, he did go to a main stream high school, albeit with a very high level of support, he did GCSEs passing most of them (although narrowly missed passing maths). He then moved to college where he repeated a year of GCSEs, gaining his maths pass and picking up a further two GCSEs at A* A. Fast forward to now, he is a triple A* student, top of his year group and looking at going to university next September.

His attendance is still not great, he tires easily but he is a stubborn and very determined young man.

For me - Doing well enough in my first year of my law degree via open university whilst juggling children (2 x differing needs and all that entails....all night assignments anyone!) to progress onto the second year. Alas it stopped after that because the needs of the children increased and even doing the study overnight became impossible.
    Degree 2.1

ReputationRep:
    I got 3rd in Northern Ireland for GCSE Additional Maths, that was cool

A* in Further Maths which I pretty much self taught was good too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emizi)
    Mine's pretty sad...

Going back to education after 12 years out . I did get 88/100 in my Higher Psychology Exam... (I left after 50 minutes into the two hour exam... I think they made a mistake... shhhh!)
    Thats not sad, thats very impressive. 12 years out and you still got 88/100 in 50mins, well done! :hat2: :holmes:

(Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Staying awake during history is something I still take pride in, that was a serious challenge.
    You should try Chemistry sometime :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Apart from my degree I would say winning an award for the dissertation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Let's hear some, having a boring night They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction.
    Recently passed an exam that I thought I failed. Given it is part of a professional qualification and in the end grades don't matter, it was the best thing ever.

A 7 in IB maths. Just for the respect so many IB students suddenly have just for saying that.

ReputationRep:
    There was this guy in my GCSE Maths class who always used to call me a cretin because I never did homework, never worked in the class, and never showed any ambition.

In our mock I got an A and he got a B. Felt great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by te.lope)
    thats amazing, i am literally in tears
    Never thought I'd have moved someone so much...
    But, wow.

That's really something. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Waking up for a 9am lecture only to go home back to sleep, as my next one was at 3. All the more impressive as I'd have to get up at 7:30, arrive at 8:30 and nap in the library, nap in the lecture from 9:15 onwards and nap on the bus on the way back. Only to wake up at 7:30, find it was all a dream and I actually have to pay attention in my 9am lecture.
    Lollllllllll haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Lollllllllll haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :rofl: this will be you studying anything statistics related (if any of that is compulsory).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    :rofl: this will be you studying anything statistics related (if any of that is compulsory).
    Haha, i have to study probabikity but other then that I am free forever!
    Probability is actually great, i just hated stats at a level lol.

ReputationRep:
    Took geography AS, my teacher left and the replacement was awful. I was teetering on a C the whole year, so I taught myself and wound up getting a really high A :-)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Haha, i have to study probabikity but other then that I am free forever!
    Probability is actually great, i just hated stats at a level lol.
    :rofl: I hope you smash it, mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Let's hear some, having a boring night They don't necessarily have to be about grades.

I'll start; mine would be the fact that in Y10 I was on an E grade for maths, in Y11 I scraped an A (and only A) for GCSE and at A-Level I've achieved A* in Maths and B in Further Maths. I've had the same teacher throughout these 4 years so you can imagine his reaction.
    -Pestering my maths teachers to be entered for higher tier GCSE Maths and achieving a B despite them saying I couldn't do it
    -Winning science and maths awards at the end of secondary school
    -Getting 93% in an A2 Biology unit
    -Getting above 70% in undergrad chemistry labs and 60% in exams without trying

ReputationRep:
    Probably getting a B in one of my A Level Chemistry resits, I really struggled throughout my time at sixth form due to shocking mental health and ended up performing badly in all my subjects

Either that or becoming a member of the BPS and getting to put MBPsS after my name

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.