Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seekers to be offered scholarships at the University of Bristol Watch

ReputationRep:
    All of these scholarships (and they are very common, maybe half the universities in the UK have them) have presumably been introduced because of the change to the law which for many years gave unaccompanied minor asylum seekers totally free university educations...

This is from the Sunday Times, 6 December 2015. If you want to read the full article you will have to become a subscriber.

THE government is to change the law to stop asylum seekers who come to Britain as unaccompanied children having their entire university education paid for by the taxpayer.At present asylum seekers who arrive on their own before the age of 18 have their tuition fees paid as well as living costs, even if they do not have leave to remain in Britain. The fees can be as high as £30,000 a year because migrants usually pay overseas student rates.Council leaders say it is unfair that foreign teenagers take degrees at council taxpayers’ expense when British classmates have to take out loans or apply for public support.Unlike British children in local authority care, unaccompanied asylum seekers who are taken into care have an automatic right to have tuition fees paid even if they come from wealthy families.David Simmonds, deputy chairman of the Local Government Association, said: “You
    Subscribe nowLogin
    Already a subscriber?Visit the USAHere’s how you let the good times rollLouisiana is the proud birthplace of jazz, but it’s not resting on its laurelsContact Us
    1. Useful contacts
    2. Syndication
    3. Display advertising
    4. Classified advertising
    5. Editorial complaints
    Terms of use
    1. Terms and conditions
    2. Privacy and cookie policy
    Site Map
    1. Site Map
    2. Corrections
    About us
    1. News UK
    2. News Corporation
    3. FAQ
    Other sites
    1. Sunday Times Wine Club
    2. Crossword Club
    3. Encounters Dating
    4. The Sunday Times Bookshop
    5. Sunday Times Driving
    6. Times Currency Services
    7. Times Print Gallery
    8. International print subscriptions
    © Times Newspapers Ltd 2015
    Registered office 1 London Bridge Street, SE1 9GF.
    Registered in England No 894646
    By continuing to use this site, you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Why are immigrants given priority over native Britons!? This is absurd!

You do realise that Bristol is a higher rated uni than both UCL and Imperial, right?
    I don't know what ranking tables you've been looking at, probably the same one that says Keele is number 4 in the uk

Why are people so outraged about this when scotland have had free uni places for years and no-one gives one

ReputationRep:
    inhuman

Ironically looking at the article and comparing it to Bristol's site the click bait headline in true, however their journalism is second rate so they haven't included all the relevant information within the article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    No, refugees are eligible to Student Finance.
    In many cases they're not, it's up to the SLC to decide.

I know a Syrian refugee who has been working in minimum wage jobs for a few years now. She struggles to advance in her career and education, despite that refugees are supposed to have the same status of citizens under international law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salamandastron)
    Why are people so outraged about this when scotland have had free uni places for years and no-one gives one
    People are bitter and like to tear down anyone who gets anything nice, especially if they are "migrants" (even though there is a massive difference between a refugee and a migrant). This is despite that these people have had many horrible things, along with the one nice thing and continue to be underprivileged compared to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    inhuman

Ironically looking at the article and comparing it to Bristol's site the click bait headline in true, however their journalism is second rate so they haven't included all the relevant information within the article.
    Well, then the joke's even more on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think taxpayers and fee-paying students have the right to know what the university is doing with their money.
    I did not say the decisions should be kept secret at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    inhuman

The website don't tell how many scholarships are offered. It suggests that any refugee/asylum seeker admitted will get one, but I doubt it will be the case.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Josb)
    I think taxpayers and fee-paying students have the right to know what the university is doing with their money.
    Is there any reason to believe they have been hiding anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    This article shows that until the immigration bill (referred to) is passed unaccompanied minors seeking asylum DO NOT have to pay a penny for their education...

http://europe.newsweek.com/child-asy...n-450699?rm=eu
    As James point out above, they should actually have included it.

But they hadn't. Probably because they didn't research everything fully just saw something and made a headline out of it and that was it (hence why the article is so short).

ReputationRep:
    I knew there were some ignorant and ill informed opinions being offered on this thread. Here you go, the facts...

http://www.asylumineurope.org/report...cess-education

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Since when was Bristol a 'top' university?
    Someone tell the Magic Circle, quick:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Is there any reason to believe they have been hiding anything?
    Well, I already pointed out that they don't tell how many scholarships they intend to give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inhuman)
    As James point out above, they should actually have included it.

But they hadn't. Probably because they didn't research everything fully just saw something and made a headline out of it and that was it (hence why the article is so short).
    Do you support this change in the law, out of interest?

Or do you feel it is morally unconscionable that unaccompanied minors seeking asylum (even if they have no right to remain) will no longer be automatically fully funded by the taxpayer, (tuition fees and living costs), however rich their parents might be?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Josb)
    Well, I already pointed out that they don't tell how many scholarships they intend to give.
    Have you asked them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Unless you haven't noticed: this is only for people who have the status of a refugee, it's actually difficult to claim asylum in the UK. Henceforth, the UK takes less refugees than a number of other countries, both in Europe and the Middle East.

It's not like they can just waltz in and get refugee status tomorrow. For some people it will take decades.
    You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that it's difficult and can take a long time to get refugee status. These migrants (genuine refugees or not) are still entering Europe in their masses regardless. They don't care about bureaucratic formalities, they only care that they have a (not entirely false) perception in their heads that Europe is some land of milk and honey, where the governments will just hand them everything on plate. This university is just adding to that perception, and in the long run it will just attract yet more illegal migrants into Europe, along with the myriad of problems they bring with them. I'm sure Bristol are doing this with the best of intentions, but it is still an irresponsible move, in my opinion.

Though I suppose in the grand scheme of things, especially compared to the German government's recent handling of this whole crisis, one university handing out a few scholarships probably won't make any difference at this point. The cat is already long out of the bag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Have you asked them?
    Yeah, they are going to answer me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generallee)
    Do you support this change in the law, out of interest?

Or do you feel it is morally unconscionable that unaccompanied minors seeking asylum (even if they have no right to remain) will no longer be automatically fully funded by the taxpayer, (tuition fees and living costs), however rich their parents might be?
    I don't really care tbh.

But I would like to know what "morally unconscionable" means.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Josb)
    Yeah, they are going to answer me. :rolleyes:
    Why not?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.