Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you agree to Britain invading Egypt to protect Ancient Egyptian monuments? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Yes and yes, ideally. I don't think anyone should be forced to fight or risk their life against their own will
    But people who join the military do it knowing full well that they will be sent to fight in foreign lands, so why is it wrong to then send them to go and fight in foreign lands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    But people who join the military do it knowing full well that they will be sent to fight in foreign lands, so why is it wrong to then send them to go and fight in foreign lands?
    Because it's for a stupid political agenda 9 times out of 10, like Afghanistan and Iraq etc. Sending in troops to protect people and sending in troops to protect rocks are two totally different things, how can you not see this? I'm starting to think you are a troll

ReputationRep:
    Would we also give back what we stole and destroyed from Egypt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Because it's for a stupid political agenda 9 times out of 10, like Afghanistan and Iraq etc. Sending in troops to protect people and sending in troops to protect rocks are two totally different things, how can you not see this? I'm starting to think you are a troll
    My point is sending them to help a different nation to accomplish it's tactical aims whilst furthering our own is essentially what they signed up for. If Egypt were to ask for help in defending such monuments from a common enemy I see no reason why we shouldn't send forces to do it.

Not trolling, just trying to understand your point of view.

ReputationRep:
    Is this inspired by the Elgin Marbles by any chance?

To answer your question: I think it would be absurd to declare war over historical monuments alone. However, the real issue would be the invasion of Egypt itself and whether the UN would authorise a defence by us, i.e. Iraq's invasion of Kuwait all over again - and while we are there, we would inevitably protect the monuments.

ReputationRep:
    If Egypt were to ask for help in defending such monuments from a common enemy I see no reason why we shouldn't send forces to do it..
    But of course they would really be asking for help against an Islamist take-over and invasion - the monuments are just a part of this.

ReputationRep:
    We should do so now. Deport the Egyptians to reservations and limit them to one child each. Within a few centuries they will die out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    But of course they would really be asking for help against an Islamist take-over and invasion - the monuments are just a part of this.
    And if by stemming that invasion we save priceless monuments along with lives then I'd consider it a huge bonus.

ReputationRep:
    And if by stemming that invasion we save priceless monuments along with lives then I'd consider it a huge bonus.
    I agree, it's a bonus, not the impetus for war. It is something entirely different to declare war over the monuments rather than declare war for the defence of Egypt itself (a la Kuwait 1990) and, in so doing, protect the monuments. The OP's hypothetical situation cannot really occur.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    I agree, it's a bonus, not the impetus for war. It is something entirely different to declare war over the monuments rather than declare war for the defence of Egypt itself (a la Kuwait 1990) and, in so doing, protect the monuments. The OP's hypothetical situation cannot really occur.
    No, most hypothetical situations can't, but they can make for interesting points of debate. Obviously the monuments can't be at risk without the rest of Egypt being at risk, but if we were given the option to go and guard the monuments whilst Egypt fought whatever war then I feel we should go for it.

ReputationRep:
    No, most hypothetical situations can't, but they can make for interesting points of debate. Obviously the monuments can't be at risk without the rest of Egypt being at risk
    True, I suppose the issue is in the OP saying "took over or invaded Egypt", which immediately relegates any threat of the monuments under the political and military threat. That's a very different situation to, say, groups of rebels infiltrating the border and taking the monuments "hostage" in a specific attack, somewhat similar to the Taliban's destruction of the Buddhas of Bamiyan.

but if we were given the option to go and guard the monuments whilst Egypt fought whatever war then I feel we should go for it.
    We both know it would be inevitable that the war would become a joint effort against the Islamists. It would be an operation against the invasion or we would not go at all. There is no such thing as simply standing guard in 21st century war against Islamists who despise the interference of the west.

I suppose it comes down to this if we just concentrate on the monuments - do you think defending another country's historical monuments is worth our cost of war? And I think you'll be hard-pressed to find any leader who would say yes. It's difficult enough to find persuasive reasons for helping another country in a war without considering monuments - just look at the endless and frankly now tedious debate over the Iraq War.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.