STEP Prep Thread 2017

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    If you're applying via UCAS after you've sat the exam, enter it on UCAS in ur qualifications section. just put the exam name as the 'other' option and manually enter it. yea the statement of results is proof, just like ums sheets from school is proof of other qualifications.
    Thanks, I didn't know I have to enter my school lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to4ka)
    Thanks, I didn't know I have to enter my school lol.
    Just to add on to EM, there's a proper "Sixth Term Examination Category", use that instead of the "other" option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by to4ka)
    As the OP says, most will start in February when they have received their offers. I'd say when you're really confident with STEP I (and you've done most of the papers), you may look into II and III. You have a lot of time to prepare, you may well focus on other stuff now.

EDIT: I don't mean that you have to spend ~6 months on STEP I and then move on. Also, read the OP carefully, it's full of useful info.
    I would honestly recommend just starting as soon as possible, so preferably self-teach C3/4 over summer and then once you've done that start STEP I. Just in case you struggle a lot and there'll be no pressure. But don't expect an offer just because you get good at STEP, still need to do well at interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    I would honestly recommend just starting as soon as possible, so preferably self-teach C3/4 over summer and then once you've done that start STEP I. Just in case you struggle a lot and there'll be no pressure. But don't expect an offer just because you get good at STEP, still need to do well at interview...
    Haha are you directing this at me? Yeah over the past 1-2 weeks i've been studying C3 and C4. Finished C3 and i'm confident with it. Hopefully the remaining topics: Vectors, Sequences and Series, Integration and Differentiation are calm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's not there for nothing. :p
    Sorry about that Zacken ... will be looking at the megapack when i'm confident with C4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Haha are you directing this at me? Yeah over the past 1-2 weeks i've been studying C3 and C4. Finished C3 and i'm confident with it. Hopefully the remaining topics: Vectors, Sequences and Series, Integration and Differentiation are calm
    Nice, you should be fine with those, after that I'd say start working through the the core Siklos booklet. No need to do every problem (I definitely didn't) but just do some until you're ok tackling them on your own and then start papers and spam papers lol. You literally can't do enough papers (that said don't use them all up too quickly, although if you can do that that's kinda scary).
    Spend a lot of time on the probs that you're stuck with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Nice, you should be fine with those, after that I'd say start working through the the core Siklos booklet. No need to do every problem (I definitely didn't) but just do some until you're ok tackling them on your own and then start papers and spam papers lol. You literally can't do enough papers (that said don't use them all up too quickly, although if you can do that that's kinda scary).
    Spend a lot of time on the probs that you're stuck with.
    Sounds like a good plan thanks.

ReputationRep:
    How would you go about solving question 2? If it is simple i'll feel embarassed
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Try out a few f(x)s (0, 1, -1) and you should see some cancellation or the like - just work out how the mechanics of the cancellation and the rest should be straightforward
    (or that's my general game plan for questions like that)

ReputationRep:
    Please refrain from posting non-STEP related questions in the STEP thread, we have the maths forum for that. Thanks.

Anywho, as an exception (but please refrain in the future), just plug x=1 in. You get f(-1) = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r}(-1)^r now what binomial expansion is that?

Remember that (a+b)^n = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r} a^{n-r}b^r

ReputationRep:
    Please refrain from posting non-STEP related questions in the STEP thread, we have the maths forum for that. Thanks.

Anywho, as an exception (but please refrain in the future), just plug x=1 in. You get f(-1) = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r}(-1)^r now what binomial expansion is that?

Remember that (a+b)^n = \sum_{0}^n \binom{n}{r} a^{n-r}b^r
    Thank you. Won't do it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValerieKR)
    Try out a few f(x)s (0, 1, -1) and you should see some cancellation or the like - just work out how the mechanics of the cancellation and the rest should be straightforward
    (or that's my general game plan for questions like that)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    step III q3 is a fun one if anyone wants to try

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    step III q3 is a fun one if anyone wants to try
    What year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    grr.. its just so boring it just takes up maths time. Could you read it over? Should I pm it to you
    Please don't send your personal statement to anybody, you're putting your university place at risk.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't send your personal statement to anybody, you're putting your university place at risk.
    Yeah, this is correct.

Also, for maths, at Cambridge, it matters very little. Seriously, a bit about what you like about maths, list any achievements, hobbys and stuff. Everyone says that at interview it's not even mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic - you were ok to send to it to me, it's just discouraged because now I'm capable of sharing it around. (I won't.) Make sure you 100% trust anybody you share it with.

Here for more info about that and tips on writing/editing one:

https://www.studential.com/universit...ing-guide/FAQs

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know you're trustworthy - was just warning him because he seemed to have very little reservation about sending it off to any person.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know you're trustworthy - was just warning him because he seemed to have very little reservation about sending it off to any person.
    *This post will as an honorary +1 because it won't let me +1 your post*

ReputationRep:
    What year?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.