Turn on thread page Beta

Has everyone started their Personal Statement? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    FWIW, I applied for only four choices. Not much point putting a random uni that you don't want to go to on your UCAS just to fill up the five places. If you do have 5 unis that you wouldn't mind going to, then defo use all 5 choices.
    Ah but you have to be pretty confident don't you ? You might get get rejections from your desired Firm/Insurance.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Ah but you have to be pretty confident don't you ? You might get get rejections from your desired Firm/Insurance.
    Then add another after you get 4 rejections (which you won't).

Most people people get offers, unless you are only aiming for universities with entry requirement miles above your predictions OR you are applying for medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    FWIW, I applied for only four choices. Not much point putting a random uni that you don't want to go to on your UCAS just to fill up the five places. If you do have 5 unis that you wouldn't mind going to, then defo use all 5 choices.
    Should have put BA Events Management at London Met as your 5th option. Wasted opportunity...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Most people people get offers, unless you are only aiming for universities with entry requirement miles above your predictions OR you are applying for medicine.
    Do you know of any forum or website that shows statistics of how many people got through to a particular course this year?

I was wondering how many got chosen for Aerospace at Bristol (My No 1 Uni haha)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    Do you know of any forum or website that shows statistics of how many people got through to a particular course this year?

I was wondering how many got chosen for Aerospace at Bristol (My No 1 Uni haha)
    Like this?
    http://university.which.co.uk/univer...ears-9000-h410
    Or
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...eng-aerospace/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Not really, as per the reasons jneill outlines but also because, even if you get 4 rejections, do you really want to go to some uni that you don't particularly like just for the sake of going to uni? Wouldn't you be better off just taking a gap year then? idk, that's how I felt.

(Original post by NeverLucky)
    Should have put BA Events Management at London Met as your 5th option. Wasted opportunity...
    One of my friends did that, well, Sports Science at Leeds Trinity to complement his Mathematics at Cambridge Trinity. Was hilarious, he did end up getting rejected from it though...

ReputationRep:
    Completed my first draft and I'm on 5621 characters and 65 lines ffs

ReputationRep:
    I just completed my 6th draft today, fits the line number requirements & number of characters perfectly. Still have to check it over with my school though
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by t.thompson22)
    I just completed my 6th draft today, fits the line number requirements & number of characters perfectly. Still have to check it over with my school though
    Just be aware, the line count might change when you copy/paste it into the form...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just be aware, the line count might change when you copy/paste it into the form...
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your right, although I do mine in word and then check it using this:

https://maccery.com/ps

ReputationRep:

Hey, so do most people get offers? Lets say that my prediction Is AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA would they consider me? I got ABC at AS and really want an A*AA prediction, but feel I wont do when I go back in september
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I've pretty much completed my PS, took me about 7/8 drafts to get it to a point where I'm completely comfortable with it. Overall it turned out to be 516 words and exactly 47 lines. As soon as I get back to Sixth form I'm literally going to have my teachers & career adviser check it asap as I'm just eager to get it sent off so I can worry about other things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrology)
    I've pretty much completed my PS, took me about 7/8 drafts to get it to a point where I'm completely comfortable with it. Overall it turned out to be 516 words and exactly 47 lines. As soon as I get back to Sixth form I'm literally going to have my teachers & career adviser check it asap as I'm just eager to get it sent off so I can worry about other things.
    What unis / course are you applying for

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm applying for psychology at all universities, only varying on courses with a placement year or not.
    I've done a first full draft of my personal statement, however it's like 61 lines instead of the 47 maximum (oops)

I'm waiting for somebody (anyone pleaaase) to go through it and to pretty much edit it, see if it's okay, give me pointers.
    It's hard to get into, but once you get over the initial word/mind block, it's easier to go through and actually do.

One tip, Don't go straight to the computer/laptop, I did that for two weeks and had like a paragraph and that was it!
    Make sure you know the appropriate paragraphs you have to do, like the structure.
    THEN write it all dwn, just go through and write, none stop everything you want to include in your personal statement.

I hope this helps anyone?
    Good luck guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK_23)
    Hi!

I'm applying for psychology at all universities, only varying on courses with a placement year or not.
    I've done a first full draft of my personal statement, however it's like 61 lines instead of the 47 maximum (oops)

I'm waiting for somebody (anyone pleaaase) to go through it and to pretty much edit it, see if it's okay, give me pointers.
    It's hard to get into, but once you get over the initial word/mind block, it's easier to go through and actually do.

One tip, Don't go straight to the computer/laptop, I did that for two weeks and had like a paragraph and that was it!
    Make sure you know the appropriate paragraphs you have to do, like the structure.
    THEN write it all dwn, just go through and write, none stop everything you want to include in your personal statement.

I hope this helps anyone?
    Good luck guys!
    Hello! That's good advice, thank you!

Be very cautious about who you share your personal statement with, my advice would be refrain from sharing it with students both in person & online. Only share it with your teachers, head of sixth form etc. If another individual copies what you've written & you both submit copies that look very similar; you'll be flagged in the UCAS plagiarism system, your universities will be contacted & it'll affect your offers. So be very careful. I don't want you to be affected by the lazy actions of someone who's copied you!

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I don't know how to end my PS!!!

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be something memorable, it needs to make you stand out. Spend a lot of time on really emphasising the last paragraph of your PS & make it short. Say how your really looking forward to your time at university & studying the course your passionate about. Say that you look forward to the challenges it will present & you want to make your university proud? If you haven't done so already, mention what you want to do after your degree. PhD? MSc? Career etc?

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:

just stop writing
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Hey, so do most people get offers? Lets say that my prediction Is AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA would they consider me? I got ABC at AS and really want an A*AA prediction, but feel I wont do when I go back in september
    There's no guarantees on anything. Apply to some above, to some at, and to some below your prediction.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how to start!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.