The Student Room Group

Has everyone started their Personal Statement?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
FWIW, I applied for only four choices. Not much point putting a random uni that you don't want to go to on your UCAS just to fill up the five places. If you do have 5 unis that you wouldn't mind going to, then defo use all 5 choices.
Ah but you have to be pretty confident don't you ? You might get get rejections from your desired Firm/Insurance.
Reply 61
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Ah but you have to be pretty confident don't you ? You might get get rejections from your desired Firm/Insurance.

Then add another after you get 4 rejections (which you won't).

Most people people get offers, unless you are only aiming for universities with entry requirement miles above your predictions OR you are applying for medicine.
Original post by Zacken
FWIW, I applied for only four choices. Not much point putting a random uni that you don't want to go to on your UCAS just to fill up the five places. If you do have 5 unis that you wouldn't mind going to, then defo use all 5 choices.

Should have put BA Events Management at London Met as your 5th option. Wasted opportunity...
Reply 63
Original post by jneill

Most people people get offers, unless you are only aiming for universities with entry requirement miles above your predictions OR you are applying for medicine.

Do you know of any forum or website that shows statistics of how many people got through to a particular course this year?

I was wondering how many got chosen for Aerospace at Bristol (My No 1 Uni haha)
Reply 64
Original post by mahmzo
Do you know of any forum or website that shows statistics of how many people got through to a particular course this year?

I was wondering how many got chosen for Aerospace at Bristol (My No 1 Uni haha)

Like this?
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-bristol-b78/aerospace-engineering-4-years-9000-h410
Or
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/2016/aerospace/meng-aerospace/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz

Not really, as per the reasons jneill outlines but also because, even if you get 4 rejections, do you really want to go to some uni that you don't particularly like just for the sake of going to uni? Wouldn't you be better off just taking a gap year then? idk, that's how I felt.

Original post by NeverLucky
Should have put BA Events Management at London Met as your 5th option. Wasted opportunity...

One of my friends did that, well, Sports Science at Leeds Trinity to complement his Mathematics at Cambridge Trinity. Was hilarious, he did end up getting rejected from it though...
Completed my first draft and I'm on 5621 characters and 65 lines ffs
I just completed my 6th draft today, fits the line number requirements & number of characters perfectly. Still have to check it over with my school though :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by t.thompson22
I just completed my 6th draft today, fits the line number requirements & number of characters perfectly. Still have to check it over with my school though :smile:

Just be aware, the line count might change when you copy/paste it into the form...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Just be aware, the line count might change when you copy/paste it into the form...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Your right, although I do mine in word and then check it using this: :smile::wink:

https://maccery.com/ps
Reply 70
Original post by jneill

Hey, so do most people get offers? Lets say that my prediction Is AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA would they consider me? I got ABC at AS and really want an A*AA prediction, but feel I wont do when I go back in september
I've pretty much completed my PS, took me about 7/8 drafts to get it to a point where I'm completely comfortable with it. Overall it turned out to be 516 words and exactly 47 lines. As soon as I get back to Sixth form I'm literally going to have my teachers & career adviser check it asap as I'm just eager to get it sent off so I can worry about other things. :biggrin:
Reply 72
Original post by squirrology
I've pretty much completed my PS, took me about 7/8 drafts to get it to a point where I'm completely comfortable with it. Overall it turned out to be 516 words and exactly 47 lines. As soon as I get back to Sixth form I'm literally going to have my teachers & career adviser check it asap as I'm just eager to get it sent off so I can worry about other things. :biggrin:

What unis / course are you applying for
Reply 73
Hi!

I'm applying for psychology at all universities, only varying on courses with a placement year or not.
I've done a first full draft of my personal statement, however it's like 61 lines instead of the 47 maximum (oops:colondollar:)

I'm waiting for somebody (anyone pleaaase) to go through it and to pretty much edit it, see if it's okay, give me pointers.
It's hard to get into, but once you get over the initial word/mind block, it's easier to go through and actually do.

One tip, Don't go straight to the computer/laptop, I did that for two weeks and had like a paragraph and that was it!
Make sure you know the appropriate paragraphs you have to do, like the structure.
THEN write it all dwn, just go through and write, none stop everything you want to include in your personal statement.

I hope this helps anyone?
Good luck guys!
Original post by TK_23
Hi!

I'm applying for psychology at all universities, only varying on courses with a placement year or not.
I've done a first full draft of my personal statement, however it's like 61 lines instead of the 47 maximum (oops:colondollar:)

I'm waiting for somebody (anyone pleaaase) to go through it and to pretty much edit it, see if it's okay, give me pointers.
It's hard to get into, but once you get over the initial word/mind block, it's easier to go through and actually do.

One tip, Don't go straight to the computer/laptop, I did that for two weeks and had like a paragraph and that was it!
Make sure you know the appropriate paragraphs you have to do, like the structure.
THEN write it all dwn, just go through and write, none stop everything you want to include in your personal statement.

I hope this helps anyone?
Good luck guys!

Hello! That's good advice, thank you!

Be very cautious about who you share your personal statement with, my advice would be refrain from sharing it with students both in person & online. Only share it with your teachers, head of sixth form etc. If another individual copies what you've written & you both submit copies that look very similar; you'll be flagged in the UCAS plagiarism system, your universities will be contacted & it'll affect your offers. So be very careful. I don't want you to be affected by the lazy actions of someone who's copied you! :smile:
Reply 75
Ugh I don't know how to end my PS!!!
Original post by mahmzo

It needs to be something memorable, it needs to make you stand out. Spend a lot of time on really emphasising the last paragraph of your PS & make it short. Say how your really looking forward to your time at university & studying the course your passionate about. Say that you look forward to the challenges it will present & you want to make your university proud? If you haven't done so already, mention what you want to do after your degree. PhD? MSc? Career etc?

I hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mahmzo

just stop writing
Reply 78
Original post by mahmzo
Hey, so do most people get offers? Lets say that my prediction Is AAA but the entry requirements are A*AA would they consider me? I got ABC at AS and really want an A*AA prediction, but feel I wont do when I go back in september

There's no guarantees on anything. Apply to some above, to some at, and to some below your prediction.
Reply 79
I don't know how to start! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest