Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loooopppyyy)
    What subjects do you tutor?
    Maths, chem or physics for Higher level normally

ReputationRep:
    I'd dare say that I was close to having to live on this much through part of my 2nd year at uni. Obviously I had accom taken care of (hence the lack of money left over...)

(I've not fully read all of the responses so sorry if I'm repeating)
    I'd say you've got no chance if you seriously think that alcohol is on the cards, in my eyes food> drink. You can get super ill if you're not going to eat a decent meal to fill you up.

Breakfasts- usually went for oats with water (could add some golden syrup to make it a bit more bearable). also makes a decent sweet treat if you make it super thick.

Lunch/ dinner- bulk buy on pasta (get get a massive bag in tesco for about £3-4, and rice. Lentils are decent for getting protein in if you're really struggling and frozen veggies are also worth getting. Tinned tomatoes to make sauces. Pizza can be made from scratch cheaply buying flour and yeast, and this can be frozen once cooked, so not only saving you money but also time. Also spices are a good idea as they can pretty much help any dish going.

It might sound cheap 'skatey' but going to the supermarkets at about 5-6pm might mean you could get good deals on meat etc in the reduced section,that can be portioned, frozen and defrosted when you need it. granted this is much harder to judge at smaller stores but they still do it so it may take a bit of trial and error to find the right time. this always stretches to the bakery so maybe worth picking some up if you've got freezer space

I'm sure you'll be able to manage it at a push, it also might be a good idea logging everything you spend so if its really tight you can look back to see what you can cut out.

Just be savvy thats all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    Put a £17 bet on Man United to win their next match cuz we all know they will win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Convex)
    I can live off £5 a week confortable.

As long as you have a source of water (tap), 2kg of rice (£3), and sauce (£2), then you're fine. You can't even eat that much rice anyway.
    How often do you poo?

ReputationRep:
    Learning to cook s better than eating out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeconcerned)
    Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.

yes you can!!!

Go to lidl. There, you get good food for less.

Good luckxxx

D

ReputationRep:
    Go to lidl
    Good food for less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparky:))
    I'd dare say that I was close to having to live on this much through part of my 2nd year at uni. Obviously I had accom taken care of (hence the lack of money left over...)

(I've not fully read all of the responses so sorry if I'm repeating)
    I'd say you've got no chance if you seriously think that alcohol is on the cards, in my eyes food> drink. You can get super ill if you're not going to eat a decent meal to fill you up.

Breakfasts- usually went for oats with water (could add some golden syrup to make it a bit more bearable). also makes a decent sweet treat if you make it super thick.

Lunch/ dinner- bulk buy on pasta (get get a massive bag in tesco for about £3-4, and rice. Lentils are decent for getting protein in if you're really struggling and frozen veggies are also worth getting. Tinned tomatoes to make sauces. Pizza can be made from scratch cheaply buying flour and yeast, and this can be frozen once cooked, so not only saving you money but also time. Also spices are a good idea as they can pretty much help any dish going.

It might sound cheap 'skatey' but going to the supermarkets at about 5-6pm might mean you could get good deals on meat etc in the reduced section,that can be portioned, frozen and defrosted when you need it. granted this is much harder to judge at smaller stores but they still do it so it may take a bit of trial and error to find the right time. this always stretches to the bakery so maybe worth picking some up if you've got freezer space

I'm sure you'll be able to manage it at a push, it also might be a good idea logging everything you spend so if its really tight you can look back to see what you can cut out.

Just be savvy thats all I can say.

You can buy a medium or big tub of powdered milk in supermarkets for £1 50 or
    £3. It lasts longer and tastes the same as real milk when mixed with water.
    It lasts long and is so much better than just using water. It's even good for tea & coffee. I used to buy it years ago. Aldi are brilliant, they sell everything cheaper
    I don't buy much in Lidl but they sell a big bag of patatoes for £2 99 to make
    jacket potatoes in the microwave. And i love iceland but you need to invest in a big freezer to put all the frozen stuff in, it's good to store bread in it so it does not go off if you freeze it. Also 3 or 4 packets of frozen mini chicken fillets last long and make a good meal. They are £4 in Iceland and £3 33 in Aldi and you can use can of tomatoes to make a meal with. Aldi mince is only £1 59 which is cheaper than other shops that sell them at £3 or £4 & dried spaghetti 20p i think

If you buy a small fat fryer and buy the flour in a tub called Dunns River ( or other brand names ) hot & spicy chicken fry mix and pour that on the mini chicken fillets then put it in the fryer it tastes like the proper kentucky chicken. You don't need to coat it in egg or milk just water. The normal flour is boring but they have different flavours and Asda, Morrisons sell that flour cheaper but Sainsburys is expensive
    Hot and spicy beefburgers £2 & 12 sesame burger buns £1 both in Iceland
    I don't buy much in Sainsbury's but their own brand basics tomato sauce 30p tastes the same as heinz.

But i do check out the reduced isle in Sainsburys sometimes but not often but Sometimes they have some great bargains and one time i saw 3 staff still on duty putting all the reduced stuff in trolleys to take back in the warehouse so they could keep them all for themselves and even calling their colleagues on the phone to get stuff, one customer was angry about it
    I was lucky they did not spot the big box 18 cans of Stella lager for only £1. When i went to pay for it even the staff at the tills was shocked and thought it was a mistake.
    I don't even like lager much i only bought it because it was a bargain.
    I bought large bag of dried dog food 99p on sale but normal price would have been£9. I bought 2 for my sister who has a dog. This was in Tesco but i don't go there often. I can get everything i want in Aldi so i just buy everything there and only 1 or 2 things in all the other shops

Look up a shop called B & M on google for your nearest store as most people have never heard of them. They are brilliant, sometimes they have special offers on small box of soups called Souper 10p each, a few months ago i bought all of them on the shelf and they lasted me for months and yesterday i bought 10 small tubs of Ainsley Harriot Thai chicken soups for 49p each. I would have bought more but that's all they had left.
    They also sell alcohol cheaper than other supermarkets. They sell everything from food to furniture and every halloween weird stuff and christmas stuff every November or December.

Homebargains is also very cheap, you have to look on google for your local store

My sister goes to her local mini Tesco at 5am to get the food thrown out in the bins but she's lucky because it's only across the road from where she lives so she does not have to walk far. She had been living in her area for years and never knew about it until she met a new friend last year and she introduced her to it.
    When i visit her she would show me 5 bags of crisps that had 24 crisps in each bag, meat, chicken, bacon, ready meals, sandwhiches, cakes, all sorts of stuff. It's amazing what good stuff supermarkets throw out and if that's the mini stores imagine all the stuff thrown out by bigger stores. She told me i should come at 5am to get stuff too but there's no way i'm waking up so early to do that even though it would only take me 25 minutes on a bus. But i've got a big Sainsburys 5 mins walk from where i live so i don't even go there at early hours to check out their bins. I can't be bothered to but i don't think there's anything wrong with other people doing it.
    But all this advice is'nt just for students its for people with jobs too because even after uni if people are on low wages they still need to budget and buy cheap food.
    I was only going to write about the powdered milk but i ended up writing way more which was meant for the original poster but anyone can use the info.

ReputationRep:
    Join medical experiments. They pay well.

Tutor.

Go to a food bank. Dave opened them for a reason.

Beg on the street.

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed up to your uni job shop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    damn. maybe you should sell some crap on ebay or if ur a girl u can do some webcam shows teehee
    Men do webcam shows too

ReputationRep:
    Well OP all i can say is you have made me feel substantially better about my £32 a week.

It really is annoying the way the final payment is higher because the last 3rd of my year is not only the smallest accommodation payment I have to make but also where the £200 application fee gets deducted so we will have loads more cash to spend.... right as exams and deadlines come into play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jlp97)
    To be honest that is going to be really hard to live on so it's good you have applied for some jobs!

Aldi and Lidl have really cheap and good food so if you can shop there, but it will still be tight and there won't be room for many (if any) luxuries and fun social stuff

Have you looked into getting a student bank account with an overdraft? I recommend Santander, 1.5k overdraft and free railcard It has saved my life in my first year at uni!
    Could you explain what an overdraft is and how it works? I really don't know much about this. Sorry xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newsunflower)
    God and I thought I was in a bad position iwth £100 per week after deducting from rent (catered halls).
    I'm in a catered hall but honestly cannot afford it. Like the first instalment is £3000 which is above the student loans instalment. Is it worth changing to self catered for more money or is the fact you get 2 meals worth it?

ReputationRep:
    follow the Elon musk diet
    mostly pasta, hotdogs and oranges
    with occasional treats like eggs

ReputationRep:
    buy non-brand foods.

If you use the budget ranges a tin of tomatoes or beans is like 23p. Buy lots of tins, a loaf of bread (50p) and some pasta and you can definitely do it. Also if you go to the shop late they sell 5 doughnuts for 9p in morrisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beeconcerned)
    Worked out that i will have £17 a week in my first two terms because of the way my loan comes in (last term i have £97 which is annoying)Dont have any saved up and parents arent rich enough to help me out hardly at all. Obviously have applied for jobs and waiting to hear back on that but for now i have just £17.So basically, how do i do this without dying and maybe still have money for booze??? seriously freaking out right now.
    Go to Sparkys post as i wrote on there
    Also i live on small loans from cash converters but not all of them do it because they closed all the small loans down except in Finchley because new customers did not pay the loans back but i find they come in handy and i only have to pay it back every month but all the cash converters do still do big loans for £300 but you have to pay back £500 all together so i don't touch those. But i can't get into debt with their small loans but i just rely on it too much but i don't care because it comes in handy when i need it. Banks won't give me an overdraught but i do use Santanders un arranged overdraught all the time but it only allows me £10 which is better than nothing but if anyone uses Santander unarranged overdraught never soend more than £10 because if you go over they will charge you but i don't get charged any interest as long as i only use £10 and i don't have to pay it back for 2 weeks. I have been doing that for years even though they warned me i would get bad credit for doing so but i don't care because they should give me an arranged over draught. I also pawn stuff like my guitars, electric violin by putting it on buy back in cash converters.
    When i had a full time job i used to get loans for £300 in The Money Shop and the interest was only £75 but now it has gone up

A friend said i should go to car boot sales to buy antiques and sell them at auctions and open my own car boot sale to sell them and other stuff or junk i have at home or on ebay.
    You could buy musical equipment, laptop, jewellry, etc and sell them on ebay.
    Maybe one day i will do that but the guitars and other music equipment i buy i want to keep because they are unusual but if i decided i don't want to keep them then i could get more for them on ebay. But they do come in handy when i'm broke because then i just pawn them in cash converters and buy them back 2 or 3 months later but i do have to pay to renew them every 28 days so they don't sell them to anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, reading through and I know you offered to send any recipes you have, I am a terrible cook, or I imagine I will be. Starting Uni next month and am just wondering if you would mind sending be some recipes, even though I'm a complete stranger.

(Original post by GoingToBurst)
    Breakfast

A 1.5kg bag of oats costs £1.50 in sainsburys. That is enough for 50 breakfasts (at 30g of oats each). I used to always use almond milk in my oats, but I ran out recently and was too lazy to go to the shop so I just used water and discovered it tastes exactly the same, so don't bother with milk for your oats. A 340g jar of honey in sainsburys is £1.40. Honey never goes off, mix a spoon of honey in with your oats to sweeten them and then top with a banana (usually around 16-18p each depending on where you go). The jar of honey will probably last you 3 weeks-a month depending on how much of it you use. That means that for roughly 7 weeks worth of breakfasts, you only spend around £12.80. That's just a little over £1.80 per week for 7 meals.

Lunch
    Prepare your lunch and take it to uni with you rather than buying lunch on campus. Some of my favourite make ahead lunches are leftover stir fry (surprisingly delicious cold the next day), mexican rice and tomatoey tuna pasta. All of these are really cheap to make, I can send you recipes and price breakdowns for these if you want? Sandwiches are also quick and pretty cheap. A good tip for buying bread is to freeze it in sandwich bags, 2 slices per bag. This means that you don't have to eat a whole loaf of bread yourself within the space of a couple of days, and the leftovers won't go off.

Dinner

The lunch meals can obviously be used for dinner too, but I also like to make a big batch of soup so that I can just heat it up and have a hot meal as soon as I'm home from a long day, without having to actually cook. Carrot & sweet potato soup costs around 42p per portion to make and keeps in the fridge for about 3 days or can be frozen. Baked potatoes are good options too, with whatever toppings you like. I'm also a sucker for chicken/fish and vegetables. Really easy to make and really cheap.
    I have loads of cheap recipes because I tried to see how much I could save on food whilst still eating relatively healthily a couple of years ago. Obviously I don't always eat simple, cheap recipes, but it's always good to have a list of cheap recipes you can fall back on when you want to save a bit of extra money.

One tip is to get your parents to help you stock up on long-lasting essentials before you go. If your kitchen is short on space, I recommend buying a box you can keep in your room to keep dried herbs/spices in. Get salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, basil, coriander and garlic puree and you're pretty much good to go for adding flavour to your food without costing an arm and a leg. Asda sell herbs and spices for around 70p each, rather than buying the branded ones for almost £2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klr181)
    Hi, reading through and I know you offered to send any recipes you have, I am a terrible cook, or I imagine I will be. Starting Uni next month and am just wondering if you would mind sending be some recipes, even though I'm a complete stranger.
    You don't need to be a good cook, I hate cooking but find it easier to just make things like spaghetti bolognese because all you need is to buy mince and chilli con carne sauce in the bottle. I like Sainsbury's hot chilli con carne sauce £1 20 or
    Aldi chilli cooking sauce 69p or just use can of tomatoes if you can't afford the bottle of sauce.
    Aldi and Lidl do the cheapest mince at £1 59
    Dry Spaghetti 20p or 30p or you can have it with rice as my friend introduced me to chilli con carne or bolognese with rice, i used to always have it with spaghetti before
    Buy big bag of patatoes in Lidl £2 99 to make jacket patatoes in the microwave or to add with other meals. 10kg of rice for £10 or 5kg for £5
    I used to buy a big bag of chicken portions in butchers for £10 then put them in the freezer but sometimes they smell funny so you know they are bad and my friend told me that he does not buy from butchers because they are not fresh so he told me to buy chicken fillets in supermarkets because they are always fresh but i prefer to buy 3 or 4 bags of frozen mini chicken fillets in iceland £4 each bag
    or in Aldi £3 33
    You just need 2 or 3 pieces then cut them up small and fry them then add peas, sweetcorn, onions, pepper, chilli pepper and other spices and it makes a good meal or you can add a can of tomatoes too and eat them with rice or patatoes or even dried spaghetti.
    I buy 15 eggs in Lidl or Aldi because they are only £1 so i buy 3 or 4 boxes but you have to make sure yoh choose the £1 box in Aldi because they have one for £1 25 too so always check the label or the receipt before you leave the shop.
    My friend makes egg fried rice every day and he never gets fed up of eating them.
    He makes 4 eggs every day or sometimes 8 if he has it for lunch then dinner too so he only buys 3 or 4 boxes but has to buy more everytime they run out.
    I tried to make egg fried rice myself but it always comes out horrible and runny even though he showed me how to do it but he is a good cook and makes it perfect and adds spices or sometimes frozen peas.

I have not got any good recipes but once a week go in the Pound shops as they always get new books every week and some are recipe books. I bought 2 in there about recipes for making sweet and savoury muffins or cakes which was really good but normally i just buy autobiographies of celebrities in there
    Type food recipes on google to see if anything comes up, i'm sure it will show lots of different recipes you can try or type recipes for students or cheap recipes
    Also type food recipes or whatever food you want to learn to cook on You Tube as i saw some brilliant recipes on there that were so simple and took only 5 or 10 minutes to make.You can print out any recipes in a library or at uni

Also i just remembered i have a magazine that gives advice on free stuff so i will just write some of them for everybody to use :
    Olio which is a food sharing app. It allows people to advertise perishable food they don't need in order to avoid waste. I have never tried it but i will look on their website later. So just type Olio on google.
    Then look up @SkintLondon
    @LondonersLondon or just type those names on google
    Type Broke in London sometimes that advertises free things to do or jobs
    MindMyHouse.com is for house sitting
    Couchsurfing.com
    Swapz.co.uk this is for bargain clothes which i think are free
    TRAID shops for cheap clothes or type name on google for shop in your area.
    These all might be useful for yourself and other people
    Try typing free food on google to see if anything comes up for that too
    And food banks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klr181)

I forgot to add that all you need is packet or bottle of sauces to add to chicken to make a meal as no one needs to be good at cooking if you just add ready made sauces to chicken, mince and other meat or if vegetarian just add ready made sauces to fresh or frozen vegetables. Or use cans of tomates instead of ready made sauces. My friend makes a mean cauliflower curry or patato curry just using can of tomatoes or fresh tomatoes that he uses in the blender then he uses lots of onions and sometimes spring onions and he eats that with rice.

I think i'm a **** cook but when ever i make chicken or mince and add ready made sauces my friend thinks my cooking is brilliant. But it's just the sauces that make it taste good, i don't even need to add extra spices sometimes if the ready made sauce says on the front of the label that it's got hot chilli sauce in it.
    In Homebargains and B&M they do packet sauces for 59p each or bottle sauces are 79p or Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Morrisons or any supermarket do them for 79p or £1
    Sometimes in B&M i get packet sauces on special offer for 10p or 29p or 49p then i buy loads of them but they do not have it all the time as it's not like a reduced section isle just stuff they want to get rid of, sometimes tne sell by date is 3 months away so i don't know why they sell them so cheap but i have bought many bargains in there

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.