The Student Room Group

Should university be free

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frankielogue
Honestly are you mad. First one is violation of my civil and personal freedoms, **** off, second is ********. What about poor kids? All your proposals will do is take us back to when only a wealthy oligarchic group of people went to uni. People like you is why I left UKIP

It's her type why I went back to the conservatives oh and well they lost farage and we got MAY
Definitely not. In fact, lets just scrap any form of student loans and triple tuition fees yet again. Why? Because **** the working class.
sarcasm
definitely yes..it should be FREE..
why should we pay £9000 just so some lecturer could share knowledge with us?:angry:
Let people achieve their dreams...I don't like seeing people upset
It should cost although we should charge based upon value of the qualification and get companies to subsidise the difference, e.g. mechanical engineering should cost less because companies demand it more and so subsidise it and ideally also run industrial training programs with the uni.

Degree content should also be open source as the value of a degree comes from the validation of knowledge not the knowledge itself.
Original post by #ChaosKass
I don't see anything wrong with what I've proposed.

Young people who want to go to university can get a part time job when they turn 16, and then work full time for a couple of years once their A-levels have finished. Assuming they are still living with their parents during this time, they would have saved enough for the tuition fees and majority of living costs for their three years of university. Then they can get a part-time job while at university and, complete with internships in the summer, will have more than enough to get themselves through to graduation. Plus all this experience they have amassed will put them in a good position to get a decent job after uni.

This way university is accessible to all, while also allowing young people to get a wide variety of work and life experience.

It's not even your opinion that irritates me, its how you come up with an absurd way of covering the costs of 27k+. As old as you look, you'd think you'd be capable enough to come up with something sensible and at the very least realistic.

Also, do you really think everybody is able enough to balance university work and a job. I don't know, it just seems that you're very distant to reality. Hope you're okay.
Reply 65
Absolutely not - higher education is not a human right. You want it, you pay for it.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that the current fees are not enough, though the proposed tiered system looks somewhat promising. Ideally the student loan scheme would be scrapped entirely and fees would have to be paid upfront - teach all those workshy 18 year olds that you can't have everything handed to you on a plate.

You seriously know nothing. I agree that there should be fees in place so not everyone just goes to uni because why not. But the current fees are too high and deter those who are deserving/good enough for higher education and can contribute a lot back to society if they were to have the chance.

By scrapping loans nobody would be able to afford it and we would see a sever consequence on British society as a result. The global trend is an increase in higher education, if our number were to go down (which would happen if you were in charge), we would be going in the wrong direction.

Also your generation had fees free. I bet if you were in our situation, with fees of £9000 pounds a year, you wouldn't be so keen on paying so much money. All you sound like is privileged, old and out-of-touch.
To be honest I think all 18 year olds should have to enrol in a year of compulsory unpaid military service anyway.

why? isn't there more productive things to do?
It's free in Scotland so why not the rest of the UK?
Reply 68
They shouldn't be free. but they shouldn't be as expensive as they are right now either.
Original post by RomeoSantos
why? isn't there more productive things to do?

Surely a year of serving your country is the most productive thing to do at the age when you're in peak physical condition?
Reply 70
Surely a year of serving your country is the most productive thing to do at the age when you're in peak physical condition?

you're actually in the peak of physical fitness at the ages around 20, 21 to 22yrs old as at 18yrs old your body is still developing and growing also, people are also more likely to be emotionally unstable and going to war would cause many emotional issues, did you go to war? did you go to university? because i just think you are probably some middle age old person that went to university when it was a lot cheaper and still only accessible to people that have families that have the abilities to provide for there family members.
Reply 71

Why are you on this forum? It's called the "student room", and you're CLEARLY not a student. Don't you have something more productive you could be doing instead of talking ****?
In an ideal world I would certainly want uni to be free, but this isn't an ideal world. We need to pump money into uni's to keep them competitive and ensure that education keeps getting better, it makes sense that the people that benefit from uni's i.e. the students, pay for it.

That being said I also believe that everyone should have equal opportunities (or as close to it as we can get) so I support the idea of the government lending money to students so that they can get a good degree and then pay back the money once that degree starts to benefit them.

Although perhaps the system needs an overhaul, especially for those out there that don't receive enough support from gov/parents to actually be able to afford to go to uni, we also need to get rid of things like "Micky Mouse" degrees that mean that students never get a good enough job to pay back their student loans.
Reply 73
Absolutely not - higher education is not a human right. You want it, you pay for it.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that the current fees are not enough, though the proposed tiered system looks somewhat promising. Ideally the student loan scheme would be scrapped entirely and fees would have to be paid upfront - teach all those workshy 18 year olds that you can't have everything handed to you on a plate.

I'm going to have to stop you right there ok. This seems like an excellent way of keeping students from lower income families out of higher education... As it stands, by your criteria, and given the fact that student workers are paid less than adult workers, you would see universities only filled with students from families rich enough to pay £9000+ on the spot? I believe that we should pay for higher education, as the money has to come from somewhere, in the end, however, your proposition would completely cut off any student who isn't rich.

And before you come back with the "well students should save for it then", may I remind you that we have a limited amount of time to work. Presuming a student worked from the age of 16, their minimum wage would be £3.87 per hour. The most common shift for students is weekend work, due to school commitments, and if a student worked 8 hours on a weekend overall, for every single weekend, by the end of the year they would have accumulated £1,609.92 (In the picture perfect world, where no one ever has to pay for transport to work or any other outgoing costs). At age 17, their wage would stay the same, so another £1,609.92. At 18, their wage would jump, however by this point, many leave to go to university. Meaning that at the very best, they would have acquired a mere £3219.84 (not including outgoing fees). So? Not enough this year, maybe they defer for another year, no biggie right? Their wage would also increase! The minimum wage for 18-year-olds is a whole £5.30! Wow. Hell, since they can't afford university yet, they just stay at college for another year, they might even do more hours. Let's say they do the 9-5 on the weekends, this would give them an annual salary of a whole £4,960.80 (again, in the magical world where people don't have outgoing costs.) Overall, in their years of working, they would have accrued £8180.64! That's right ladies and gentlemen! Still not enough to go to University by your standards!

So do these kids do then? Keep working and never go for their degree? Sure! By your standards, they can just stay in their cycle of poverty, never aiming to better themselves and go for higher paying jobs, because of their lack of a degree. Hell, if they're lucky, they might be able to pay for a three-year degree by the time they have their own families to worry about! Hurray!

But let me guess, back in your day blah blah blah, everything was harder blah blah blah. How much did you pay for your university course?
Reply 74
Original post by JohnGreek
>Has 1 rep
>Makes death threats

I like you

I like you more
Reply 75
Massive joke that EU students get education in Scotland for free, whilst English don't

That is an example of a bad thing about the EU...
..but I am 100% against Brexit before someone comes to some weird conclusion, just things like that should get fixed.
I don't see anything wrong with what I've proposed.

Young people who want to go to university can get a part time job when they turn 16, and then work full time for a couple of years once their A-levels have finished. Assuming they are still living with their parents during this time, they would have saved enough for the tuition fees and majority of living costs for their three years of university. Then they can get a part-time job while at university and, complete with internships in the summer, will have more than enough to get themselves through to graduation. Plus all this experience they have amassed will put them in a good position to get a decent job after uni.

This way university is accessible to all, while also allowing young people to get a wide variety of work and life experience.

Just want to say i really hope you didnt take maths during your time in the 50's , becuase if you think 2 years of part time work will cover a students uni fees and other stuff then im not sure whats a bigger joke;
-your argument
-your maths skills
-your common sense

or that smile.
Original post by Jitesh
Massive joke that EU students get education in Scotland for free, whilst English don't

That is an example of a bad thing about the EU...
..but I am 100% against Brexit before someone comes to some weird conclusion, just things like that should get fixed.

yh i found that out a few months a go and found it really wierd
Reply 78
Original post by MathSci1999
yh i found that out a few months a go and found it really wierd

It's really unfair. It should be standardised across the EU.
Original post by Jitesh
It's really unfair. It should be standardised across the EU.

yh, and it shoudl be england who recieevs it free first, then the EU, surely.
like it would be understandable if england got it free but EU did not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending