Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Easiest is Maths by far, 50% of students get an A or above nationally.
    Do you do maths?

Also is that statistic correct? Because I know a lot of people who didn't get an A in AS maths

ReputationRep:
    OP it all depends on your strengths, I have learn't that I suck at maths and science but I am really good at subjects such as History,Geogaraphy,Politics,RS with english being in the middle

ReputationRep:
    Sociology. Loads of people in my school who do it say they get an A with their eyes closed.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry and maths, only physics is somewhat difficult

ReputationRep:
    Easiest is Maths by far, 50% of students get an A or above nationally.
    Usually because most students who take it usually had gotten an A* at GCSE, with some only getting an A (I only ever met 2 people who got a B in GCSE and did A level maths), so that might reflect the ability of those who take it. If you're not good at maths, A level maths is a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    So what you're saying is that Maths students are naturally of a higher caliber and work at a higher proficiency, than students of any other subject. That students who take Maths are naturally better at Maths.

That's ridiculous, and you can look at all the other subjects to prove it.

English students would then be naturally proficient in English. Psychology students would naturally proficient in Psychology, right? Etc.

Then why don't these subjects get stats like Maths? Your logic is flawed, because if what you're saying is true, then every subject would get high numbers of students getting top grades, like Maths. But this doesn't happen.

Why?

Because the only reason why so many people get top grades in Maths is because it is an easy subject to get a top grade in. This is by virtue of the subject, not because somehow Maths students are more proficient in their subject than students of any other subject. Do you realise how ridiculous and elitist that sounds?
    Well I think the part colleges have to play is important to consider is also important to consider. Many colleges (including the one I went to) only let people who had gotten an A* at Maths in GCSE on the course (with some colleges maybe more lenient in letting those who had gotten A's, and very rarely B's in). So only the best students get to get on the course because I think colleges recognise how hard A level maths can be for those not good at maths. If you look at English A level, most colleges would let you in if you had gotten a B at GCSE (with some lenient ones allowing a C), with other courses not caring what you got at GCSE as long you had gotten 5A*'s-C including maths and english.

I think another thing to consider is that maths is a really hated subject. Don't you remember in Secondary school how may complained about how much they hated maths? So only those who really enjoyed maths would continue it on at A level, and those who enjoyed would've typically done better at GCSE and been able to do it at A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    Nope, by my reasoning you wouldn't have to do every subject by every exam board, just read what people who have done them say about them (which you aren't doing).

The reason my bro gave was that it was harder, and I have no reason to believe he'd lie. The fact he's at Oxford doesn't make his opinion any more valid, it just shows he's a clever cookie, who got straight A*s at GCSE (12), 4 As at AS level, 2A*s and an A at A Level. In other words, the only subject he ever dropped a grade in was Philosophy (AQA) A Level. Because he found it hard. This doesn't sound like the easiest A Level. As a historian I'd have hoped your judgement would be a little more sound, I dread to think what your conclusions will look like.

What college are you going to?
    I'll simply take your word for it but with the condition that it remains true solely for the AQA spec.

Conclusions tend to suffer during the summer as I rewind and relax

Somerville college, are you looking to apply for Oxford too?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.