Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ForestShadow)
    Presumably their 'hotness' is determined by you, why cant the 'unhot' be granted passage to the holy area?
    Good point, we have got eternity. I'd make all females look exactly how they always wanted to look and bring all females up. The males can go **** themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Good point, we have got eternity. I'd make all females look exactly how they always wanted to look and bring all females up. The males can go **** themselves

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you'll be a good god ......... what else you wanna do ? you would make all males , females , wouldn't you ?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by fardm76)
    you'll be a good god ......... what else you wanna do ? you would make all males , females , wouldn't you ?
    Nahh, gotta let Satan have some fun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    But I am God
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    u know it

ReputationRep:
    He wants to make himself female :holmes:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    jokes :lol:

ReputationRep:
    i think god leave us to be independent , like the supernatural series !
    have you seen this serial ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wow. None of you should ever be gods.

If I were a god I would cure cancer and get rid off AIDS/HIV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)

so would i !
    i'm a good god , even better than you !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)

so would i !
    i'm a good god , even better than you !
    Presumably, if you were a truly good god, you wouldn't have created those diseases in the first place, nor allowed them to develop. There would, therefore, be no need for a cure.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Presumably, if you were a truly good god, you wouldn't have created those diseases in the first place, nor allowed them to develop. There would, therefore, be no need for a cure.
    While that is true, I assumed that the OP was going off a scenario where I was to be a new god, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    i would create them to control the population !
    this is my strategy ............. then i would cure some of them to be memorable !

ReputationRep:
    i would create them to control the population !
    this is my strategy ............. then i would cure some of them to be memorable !
    So you'd be an arbitrary god rather than a good god.

ReputationRep:
    So you'd be an arbitrary god rather than a good god.
    yes ......... you're right , i was kidding

ReputationRep:
    in fact i don't wanna be him .............. but if i were in his shoes i would finish this world ................ i mean i would destroy his creation ............. wow! how bad i am !............... does he have any shoes at all ? to be in it
    At the end of the day, possessing that level of power renders everything meaningless. It doesn't matter what you do, you can have an infinite number of do-overs. Destroy the Earth? Just bring it back when you feel like it. Send a plague? Just go back and rewrite reality so it never happened. Go forward in time to the end of the universe? Cool. Then what? Have the answers to everything and anything? Okay, you're an uber-genius. Now? Cure diseases? End poverty? To what end? That would just be arbitrary, so why not just make the world perfect? Just to see what it looks like, and naturally when you see the horror of a world without flaws you can just revert it back. You're the ultimate moral authority, so no point fretting over whether or not what you're doing is right or wrong. Change the laws of nature by a whim? Okay, who cares? Who would know, but yourself? Why would you make others know? Ultimately it would turn anyone arbitrary at best, tyrannical at worst, as they simply get rid of/change what they don't like and keep what they do.

Honestly, I'd probably just go on living my life the exact same way and then simply use my omnipotence for my convenience as and when I need it (if I need a fiver, just pop one into existence, for example).

Short answer: I'd do whatever I want because when you're that powerful, everything ceases to matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megadogyourmom)
    At the end of the day, possessing that level of power renders everything meaningless. It doesn't matter what you do, you can have an infinite number of do-overs. Destroy the Earth? Just bring it back when you feel like it. Send a plague? Just go back and rewrite reality so it never happened. Go forward in time to the end of the universe? Cool. Then what? Have the answers to everything and anything? Okay, you're an uber-genius. Now? Cure diseases? End poverty? To what end? That would just be arbitrary, so why not just make the world perfect? Just to see what it looks like, and naturally when you see the horror of a world without flaws you can just revert it back. You're the ultimate moral authority, so no point fretting over whether or not what you're doing is right or wrong. Change the laws of nature by a whim? Okay, who cares? Who would know, but yourself? Why would you make others know? Ultimately it would turn anyone arbitrary at best, tyrannical at worst, as they simply get rid of/change what they don't like and keep what they do.

Honestly, I'd probably just go on living my life the exact same way and then simply use my omnipotence for my convenience as and when I need it (if I need a fiver, just pop one into existence, for example).

Short answer: I'd do whatever I want because when you're that powerful, everything ceases to matter.
    i was just kidding , in fact we can not be him and we can't even imagine that , if we are instead of him what we are going to do now , because of our limitation .
    i can't speak English so well .........do you get my point ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megadogyourmom)

when we are that powerful , we can do everything we want , and yes ! everything ceases to matter , so we don't even need any body (any material) so , we are nothing ........... but , i can't , i mean we can't call god : nothing , can we ? that's the thing that confuse me !

ReputationRep:
    i was just kidding , in fact we can not be him and we can't even imagine that , if we are instead of him what we are going to do now , because of our limitation .i can't speak English so well .........do you get my point ?
    when we are that powerful , we can do everything we want , and yes ! everything ceases to matter , so we don't even need any body (any material) so , we are nothing ........... but , i can't , i mean we can't call god : nothing , can we ? that's the thing that confuse me !
    Yeah, I get your point.

On the contrary, I think it is very possible that God can be categorised as 'nothing'.

The problem I see is whether or not God truly can be omnipotent, omni-benevolent, omniscient, just, fair and a moral arbiter, whilst still maintaining the meaningfulness of his own existence. Shouldn't being the sheer embodiment of moral goodness render you exempt from being labelled as 'good'? You simply say stuff and it becomes 'good' by virtue of you being you. So is it really 'good' in the first place? This issue extends to whether or not he is just or fair.
    Can God truly love everyone at the same time? How would that translate into his actions? Is there any point to loving the most depraved of criminals? If God knows (assuming he is all-knowing) that the criminal will not redeem himself, then why does he love him? To affirm his own omni-benevolence? For who's sake? His own? If so, then can that truly be called 'love' for another? I would rather call that: The love of self (aka, narcissism).
    I don't think I need to explain the contradiction of omnipotence. It's been beaten to death by many greater than me.

So for God to be God, would he not have to negate the meaningfulness of his own existence? As everything he does would cease to matter, there is no meaning as there is nothing he cannot not be. If you can be, do, say, eat, drink, breathe etc. whatever you want then I'd argue that your existence has zero meaning. And I'd also argue that an existence without meaning is equivalent to a non-existence (aka 'nothing'). So even if God existed, there's no reason why people would have to acknowledge it as an 'existence' or give it any meaningful attention.

I'd argue that to provide meaning to your own existence, you'd have to limit yourself, limiting omnipotence would make it at best nigh-omnipotence. If anyone person was truly 'God' I doubt they would take the form of the Abrahamic God. They'd be more akin to Thor or something :/

Wow that was a bit of a ramble.

TL;DR - Basically, Thor > God.

ReputationRep:
    in fact i don't wanna be him .............. but if i were in his shoes i would finish this world ................ i mean i would destroy his creation ............. wow! how bad i am !............... does he have any shoes at all ? to be in it
    I would kill myself, imagine living alone for billions of years. Not my cup of tea.

Bonus question.... if the big bang can't exist because nothing can come from nothing, how did God come to be ? What created him ?

ReputationRep:
    Magic T-Rexs back into existence so I can ride one and keep it as a pet. If it falls over I can just magic it back upright. That and stare at chemical reactions on a molecular level for an eternity, those insignificant humans can look after themselves for a while. I have stared at atoms for fun before, you should see the atoms in graphite under and electron tunneling microscope, they're so adorable!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.