Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurab21)
    The second I turned 13 (quite a while ago now), my parents just assumed I'd be a stereotypical teenager who rebels against everything. So they treated me like that. But recently they're just being so horrible to me and I genuinely haven't done anything. Today for example, I fell asleep so didn't help cook dinner, then my dad called me a 'not very nice person' behind my back which I heard, I then confronted my mum and then agreed saying 'No, you're an awful person, you only every think about yourself'. I don't see what I've done wrong, I want to get on with my parents but they're making it very difficult, any advice?
    oh boo hoo. Sorry, they give you food, clothing, and most likely many other ****.

If you think this is abuse, then fine, it's pretty telling.

I know this will be flamed for being harsh, but our generation is too coddled as it is. Simply tell your parents you will help in some stuff, probably they think you should contribute more, and you don't.

ReputationRep:
    Take what's thrown at you, but stand up where it matters. If you stay quiet 99% of the time, the 1% you do make a stand will make quite the statement.

Well we have very different views on things, they don't believe in equality and they're quite frankly racists *******s. I'm the sort of person that will stand up for myself and they hate that I do because I don't just accept what they have to say to me
    Unfortunately racism is something illogical that cannot be reasoned with - you just have to make it clear that you dislike it, and leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    oh boo hoo. Sorry, they give you food, clothing, and most likely many other ****.

If you think this is abuse, then fine, it's pretty telling.

I know this will be flamed for being harsh, but our generation is too coddled as it is. Simply tell your parents you will help in some stuff, probably they think you should contribute more, and you don't.
    Ok, firstly, I have been paying for my own clothes since the age of 12. Secondly, I never said it was abuse, I'm asking for advice. Thirdly, you have no idea what I do to help and I can tell you that it's a hell of a lot. Don't just think you can come and make assumptions about my life, I'm simply asking for advice which is the main point of this website! So I'd very much appreciate it if you took yourself and your high ego away from this forum.
    Thanks. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otah007)
    Take what's thrown at you, but stand up where it matters. If you stay quiet 99% of the time, the 1% you do make a stand will make quite the statement.

Unfortunately racism is something illogical that cannot be reasoned with - you just have to make it clear that you dislike it, and leave it at that.
    I feel like so much of what they say is just so wrong and unjustified, should I still take a step back?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, firstly, I have been paying for my own clothes since the age of 12. Secondly, I never said it was abuse, I'm asking for advice. Thirdly, you have no idea what I do to help and I can tell you that it's a hell of a lot. Don't just think you can come and make assumptions about my life, I'm simply asking for advice which is the main point of this website! So I'd very much appreciate it if you took yourself and your high ego away from this forum.
    Thanks. Bye.
    Ego? not really, I'm pretty humble actually. Just I gave my genuine opinion, which is that you're being oversensitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I do think they are being a bit harsh. My 19 year old son wouldn't have a clue how to help me with dinner. He can just about make himself a frozen pizza.! Can I ask how old you are? Are you studying and living at home ? Could it be your parents are having a few financial worries and want you to contribute a bit more? Or perhaps they might have hoped you would have flown the nest by now and feel their parenting days should be over? Maybe have a chat to whichever one you feel best able to talk to and ask them if there is a reason for this behaviour.
    Holy ****. I'm 19 years old and sound scarily like your son. Please tell me you're not my mother 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimkarsd)
    Ego? not really, I'm pretty humble actually. Just I gave my genuine opinion, which is that you're being oversensitive.
    Well I won't deny that since I know nothing about you and I don't have the audacity to make a judgement on a person without really knowing them but from first impressions you come accross as having an ego. And you have no idea if I'm being oversensitive? Stop making such sweeping statements without the facts
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    The second I turned 13 (quite a while ago now), my parents just assumed I'd be a stereotypical teenager who rebels against everything. So they treated me like that. But recently they're just being so horrible to me and I genuinely haven't done anything. Today for example, I fell asleep so didn't help cook dinner, then my dad called me a 'not very nice person' behind my back which I heard, I then confronted my mum and then agreed saying 'No, you're an awful person, you only every think about yourself'. I don't see what I've done wrong, I want to get on with my parents but they're making it very difficult, any advice?
    Lol, you think this ain't normal? It's the circle of life, this is the process that makes moving out easier; it's exactly the same here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Lol, you think this ain't normal? It's the circle of life, this is the process that makes moving out easier; it's exactly the same here

Posted from TSR Mobile
    haha, I just need advice to make this whole thing easier, idk what to do:/
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    haha, I just need advice to make this whole thing easier, idk what to do:/
    How old are you now? My advice will differ dependant on age. And possibly location

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How old are you now? My advice will differ dependant on age. And possibly location

Posted from TSR Mobile
    17 and a tiny isolated village in england
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    17 and a tiny isolated village in england
    Suck it up till you move out for uni then, saves the agro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Suck it up till you move out for uni then, saves the agro

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's a whole year though!!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    That's a whole year though!!
    Count yourself lucky, unless I can some idiot to move in with me I've got at least 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Count yourself lucky, unless I can some idiot to move in with me I've got at least 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish you luck

ReputationRep:
    mad ting sad ting
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I wish you luck
    I've been **** out of luck for the last 18 years, for some reason I don't think that's about to change

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been **** out of luck for the last 18 years, for some reason I don't think that's about to change

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It all starts with a positive attitude, you can't go into life thinking it's against you, trust me on this, I changed my attitude to life recently and it's made so much difference (apart from the whole parent situation- that's a mess!)
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    It all starts with a positive attitude, you can't go into life thinking it's against you, trust me on this, I changed my attitude to life recently and it's made so much difference (apart from the whole parent situation- that's a mess!)
    Yeah, I tried that once; within 4 weeks my girlfriend at the time and my great grandmother died. Fair to say I gave up with that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe you should try talking to them about it?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 4, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.