The Student Room Group

I find it ridiculous when people talk down on religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mcneill98
Mankind survived for hundreds of thousands of years without religion, we do not need "the cause" to inspire... What we need is solid action that will lead to a better life for all, clean water, less conflict, more education ( real education ) and healthcare.
Also my point about extremist religions still stand, they clearly preach hatred and provocations and yet are protected by the state.

Why did God support slavery then but not now ? The question still stands. You cannot simply say it was another era, God is all-knowing surely he wouldn't have a mood swing and decide it is suddenly bad.
Christianity has completed changed, if the average person now was judged by the religious 'standards' of hundreds of years ago, very very few of us would be going to heaven. So what version is right ?

The statement here is " Do as your told, don't think for yourself and don't challenge religious authority."
The opium of the people, for submissive people at least, which is probably why there are so many religion crazed women about compared to men.
Religion adapts around people, people don't adapt around religion.

It's really late, and I'm very tired but I'll try my best :smile: I wish you could talk to an actual Brother or Nun as they're better equipped to answer questions like these!

I still don't see the problem in having Religion encourage people to stay inspired to do good...I'm having a hard time accepting that people have a genuine problem with this.

A lot of the Nuns at my church are, right now as we speak, in the Jungle of Calais giving out donations of food and clothes to migrants that our church brought together for them. We're literally doing what you describe as "solid action". We fast to give money from food we didn't buy to the poor, We run soup kitchens, we open schools, Brothers and Sisters are sent to LEDCs to teach languages as well as practical life skills with other local teachers...

The terrorism point is example of interpretation again, twisting Holy Book teaching to suit personal agenda not endorsed by the true representation of the religion. I was trying to defend Islam, but I'm not Muslim so yet again I can't give any more details for that other than the fact that they try to denounce these extreme acts as best they can. It's just not covered enough in the media!

The slave passages I quoted are about being humble, literally being a slave to other people to HELP others and sacrifice willingly our own time and energies to serve others. There's a passage that says that "...the last will come first and the first will be last". It's literally like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare. God doesn't condone our definition of "slavery", but the book uses that language because whether you like this point or not, it was catered to a different context. If it were written today, maybe the word "slave" wouldn't be used.

And the standard has changed because we've changed, not the bible. It's interpretation again! The same words have been in that book for years, but the people running the churches and teaching those words are the only thing that has changed. That's why it seems like religion's changed.
Original post by slade p
This is the main reason religious people hate atheists because they mock and insult religious people and religion.

Religious people don't care that they are atheists to mock and insult them without provocation but atheists are ways doing this which shows their intolerance, bigotry and ignorance.

Atheists will not be happy until you become atheist like them which is why atheists need to be dealt with.
Religion needs mockery so that it slowly but surely goes away.
Original post by slade p
This is the main reason religious people hate atheists because they mock and insult religious people and religion.

Religious people don't care that they are atheists to mock and insult them without provocation but atheists are ways doing this which shows their intolerance, bigotry and ignorance.

Atheists will not be happy until you become atheist like them which is why atheists need to be dealt with.

ha this made me lol, this is a typical intolerant religious reaction, and even more ironic that you call atheists intolerant.
Also, atheism is the exact opposite of ignorance. Ignorance is not knowing the subject being discussed, atheism is based on logic and concrete material. It is in fact religion that fills ignorance with simple caveman logic.
Reply 63
Original post by Plagioclase
Absolutely. Happiness is happiness, I really don't see what's so difficult to understand about that.

Historically, religion has caused a lot of suffering and held back progress beneficial to humanity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Apart from the Dawkins-esque, fedora-tipping SJW type atheists who have nothing better to do, I haven't seen anyone mock religions IRL. That sort of stuff is mainly an online phenomenon.

I think you've got your stereotypes mixed up son

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Religion needs mockery so that it slowly but surely goes away.

Dream on, it won't go away, but atheism by nature will go away and you have to be very irrational to be an atheist. Also generally atheists are parasites to society.
Original post by RobML
Historically, religion has caused a lot of suffering and held back progress beneficial to humanity

Posted from TSR Mobile

Historically, religion has also been a key driver of civilization, progress, culture and technology. In the early days of Islam for instance, the Islamic states in the Middle East were flourishing centres of science and art whilst the rest of Europe was languishing. Religion is a fundamentally human thing, you can find anything you want within it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by neon_reaper
Does this really happen? Like frequently or what? I'm guessing it's just how I've grown up but I've never really met a militant religious person or had anyone try to force their beliefs upon me, I have religious friends and my parents are religious as well, but my parents let me decide my beliefs and my friends have never imposed anything upon me; they hold their beliefs, I hold mine and thats the end of it. I really should try and experience more of the world I guess, but at this rate i don't think i want to :biggrin:

Literally every time I go town there's always someone trying to force their religion on you. They shout and say why their God is brilliant and that and then tries to give you leaflets and that. It's annoying because I'm open minded so I would also like to experience other religions however i wouldn't say that I'm religious either.
Just as you're free to believe that the world was created by a bearded man who watches from above; I'm free to laugh, mock and make fun of you to my heart's content.
Reply 69
Original post by slade p
Dream on, it won't go away, but atheism by nature will go away and you have to be very irrational to be an atheist. Also generally atheists are parasites to society.

:lolwut:

:lol:
Original post by slade p

Churches don't pay tax....
Historically, religion has also been a key driver of civilization, progress, culture and technology. In the early days of Islam for instance, the Islamic states in the Middle East were flourishing centres of science and art whilst the rest of Europe was languishing. Religion is a fundamentally human thing, you can find anything you want within it.

Actually the Middle East was a flourishing centre of science and art before Islam came and put a stop to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Actually the Middle East was a flourishing centre of science and art before Islam came and put a stop to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you'll find that this is a myth and is completely incorrect. The Islamic world has changed dramatically over its 1500 year history. Just like Christianity, the relationship between Islam and the world depended entirely on who the dominant powers were at the time. For much of its history, Islamic countries were considerably more tolerant than Christian countries. Both religions have undergone periods of liberalisation and intolerance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Churches don't pay tax....

Charities don't pay tax either so long as the money is used for Charitable purposes. The church is recognised as a charity. Furthermore, a percentage of money raised by the church IS taxed, and donors have the option to donate under a Gift Aid number so that their donation is tax-reduced so that more of it goes to the charitable cause.
I think you'll find that this is a myth and is completely incorrect. The Islamic world has changed dramatically over its 1500 year history. Just like Christianity, the relationship between Islam and the world depended entirely on who the dominant powers were at the time. For much of its history, Islamic countries were considerably more tolerant than Christian countries. Both religions have undergone periods of liberalisation and intolerance.
[video]https://youtu.be/uyCxrL9-C84?t=3m57s[/video]
The rise of Islam in the middle east very much spelled the death of scientific advancements there, and they haven't recovered since.
[video]https://youtu.be/uyCxrL9-C84?t=3m57s[/video]
The rise of Islam in the middle east very much spelled the death of scientific advancements there, and they haven't recovered since.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to take a YouTube video called "Stupidest Muslims" particularly seriously when I've got a large volume on my desk by the Director of the Centre for Byzantine Research at the University of Oxford that contradicts it.
Original post by I am Kira
This is coming from an atheists perspective:
I absoultely disagree with other atheist who mock religious people just because they don't agree with them. No I'm not a fan of religion myself but I don't mock those who choose to follow it.
I've heard things like "religion is like fairy tales" and "If I don't believe in santa, why would I believe in god"
These are incredibly ignorant and biased. I know there's alot of us vs them mentality between atheist and theists but I do not agree with any religion basher.

Well said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think there is anything wrong with condemning religion, but talking down on someone for being religious, is ridiculous. I don't think most people would mind if you engage in a polite debate with them about their beliefs, but I think it's rude to patronise them.
I'm sorry but I'm not going to take a YouTube video called "Stupidest Muslims" particularly seriously when I've got a large volume on my desk by the Director of the Centre for Byzantine Research at the University of Oxford that contradicts it.
Lol such an intellectual response, Neil Degrasse Tyson one of the most famous and well respected Physicists in the world and you go "nah not going to take this guy seriously". Hell I don't think you even bothered to watch the video so why don't you go listen to what he has to say and come back when you seriously want to claim that this man who is probably several times smarter than you is wrong.
Lol such an intellectual response, Neil Degrasse Tyson one of the most famous and well respected Physicists in the world and you go "nah not going to take this guy seriously". Hell I don't think you even bothered to watch the video so why don't you go listen to what he has to say and come back when you seriously want to claim that this man who is probably several times smarter than you is wrong.

Believe what you want.

Quick Reply

Latest