Medicine A100 Leeds 2017 entry

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsmad123)
    I definitely don't find section 1 interesting!!!! I can't do 3 questions without day dreaming lol
    Loool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a question wrt to BMAT, how do leeds use it and what is the weight assigned to it, does anyone know?after looking at their website, im still none the wiser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Window16)
    I had a question wrt to BMAT, how do leeds use it and what is the weight assigned to it, does anyone know?after looking at their website, im still none the wiser
    5 points out of a possible 40. 27 Points for GCSE/AS, 8 points for A2 predicted or achieved and 5 for BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    5 points out of a possible 40. 27 Points for GCSE/AS, 8 points for A2 predicted or achieved and 5 for BMAT.
    Can i ask where you got this info from and would you know average bmat scores for last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Window16)
    Can i ask where you got this info from and would you know average bmat scores for last year
    Freedom of information request.
    And national average was around 4.5 for each section. People got into Leeds with BMAT scores of 3.5 last year as they had a full academic score.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mathsmad123;68101694]Freedom of information request.
    And national average was around 4.5 for each section. People got into Leeds with BMAT scores of 3.5

Thanks fot the info. Much appreciated. Just nervous about bmat. Trying to prepare. Any tips or pointers. ?

ReputationRep:
    No, there are 8 points for achieved or predicted A levels and 27 points for GCSE or AS.
    How are the points scored for the predicted A2's? I achieved AAAA at AS so I assume I get the 27 points for that and have already achieved A*AA, so how many point would that be out of 8??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by su5ie)
    How are the points scored for the predicted A2's? I achieved AAAA at AS so I assume I get the 27 points for that and have already achieved A*AA, so how many point would that be out of 8??
    8/8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    8/8
    That's great thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    hey there
    Ive achieved 6A stars and 6As at GCSEs and am doing three A-levels: two are linear (chemistry and biology so I dont have AS marks), and the third A-level is Politics which I got A in for AS. I got a B in maths AS but I dropped it. I am predicted AAA. Would that get me full marks for the academic scoring for Leeds?

Also If I got something like 4.1 average would that be enough?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srashid3)
    hey there
    Ive achieved 6A stars and 6As at GCSEs and am doing three A-levels: two are linear (chemistry and biology so I dont have AS marks), and the third A-level is Politics which I got A in for AS. I got a B in maths AS but I dropped it. I am predicted AAA. Would that get me full marks for the academic scoring for Leeds?

Also If I got something like 4.1 average would that be enough?

Thank you
    You would get 24/27 for academic score. My GUESS is that you would need around 4.8 to move onto the next stage.

ReputationRep:
    You would get 24/27 for academic score. My GUESS is that you would need around 4.8 to move onto the next stage.
    Unlikely. Considering the fact that around 40% of applicants apply with full academic score, they're going to need more than an average BMAT score to compensate. To overturn that deficit of 3 points, a top band BMAT score is ideal. To get 5 points for the BMAT, you would've needed a combined score of 14.7 last year, IIRC. So something like 5.6 5.6 3.5A.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely. Considering the fact that around 40% of applicants apply with full academic score, they're going to need more than an average BMAT score to compensate. To overturn that deficit of 3 points, a top band BMAT score is ideal. To get 5 points for the BMAT, you would've needed a combined score of 14.7 last year, IIRC. So something like 5.6 5.6 3.5A.
    Alas my future looks bleak

ReputationRep:
    how big a part does my personal statement play in all of this?

ReputationRep:
    how big a part does my personal statement play in all of this?
    I don't think it gets read if you don't make the shortlist :/

Edit: they "scan" them for mitigating circumstances, but other than that, there's no real factor to them, unless they're deciding who to interview.

ReputationRep:
    Alas my future looks bleak
    I think your school put you at a disadvantage by not letting you take AS levels. You just needed 3A grades to get full academic score. I personally think 9A* is harder than 3A.

ReputationRep:
    I dont understand the scoring system for leeds as I couldnt find how it works in their website. Ive applied with 9A*s 4As at GCSE and 3A 1B (the B I dropped) at AS. So what score would I have and is it good enough for interview assuming a get a fairly good BMAT score??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exaclebur)
    I dont understand the scoring system for leeds as I couldnt find how it works in their website. Ive applied with 9A*s 4As at GCSE and 3A 1B (the B I dropped) at AS. So what score would I have and is it good enough for interview assuming a get a fairly good BMAT score??
    You have a very good chance if that you did well in BMAT. I think you would have a full academic scores 27/27

ReputationRep:
    Id say you get full academic score with the GCSE x 9 A*'s

You have to just get a minimum score in the BMAT to progress to next stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earth1)
    You have a very good chance if that you did well in BMAT. I think you would have a full academic scores 27/27
    Oh okey thanks

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.