The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Crijjkal
Millionaires aren't on TSR

You've undoubtedly walked the same streets and shops as many millionaires without realizing. They don't exclusively just fine dine every meal and only do elite activities.
yea of course, I'm rolling in it.
Original post by Anthony.c/2001
Hey guys, i know this might be a popular question but are any of you guys a millionaire!
And if so how did u become a millionaire, the reason im asking is i want to be a millionaire!
Im not a lazy 15 year old boy who sprnds all his money on videogames i have had an ebay shop which isnt much but it made me some money and i now have about £1000 saved.
Yes im only 15 and yes i want to be a millionaire but i know thats not easy and i wont win the lottery or be given it! All the stuff i have ever got i have worked for it myseld not got it bought.
So if ur a millionaire HOW?

earlier this year I was technically (including assets) but most of it wasn't my money
but it took a lot of marketing and expert skill in a solid field
Ok, I've paused a bit before coming out on this.

No, you don't have to be a banker, entrepreneur, accountant, doctor or dentist. It's a lot easier if the following circumstances are aligned:

You are partnered with someone who genuinely shares your work ethic and your outlook on life.
You both are in paid graduate employment, - ideally having experienced unemployment, so that you are motivated not to go there again.
You are scrupulous about saving and investing, when all of your peer group and colleagues are spending their growing income on consumer goods and holidays.
Either one of you, and preferably both, gets to the top of their profession by the age of 35. And I really mean the top.
My partner and I did all of that, which gave us a good start. But what really made the difference was a set of circumstances that we couldn't influence, but we could respond to those circumstances in a savvy way.
We got there initially through property deals, from 1996-2008, from scratch and without parental contributions. It was a bumpy ride, and the really unfair part of it is that when it all starts to accumulate, it gets much easier to invest in new opportunities. I've never been a landlord btw, we just got lucky with the way the market fluctuated, and seized every opportunity that we identified. It also took a lot of research into identifying upcoming areas before they were recognised as such, and buying property in London locations when our friends thought we were mad. They don't think that any more.
I've an interest in TSR as our kids are at university, and I spent the early part of my career in academia, before transferring to the commercial sector.

So the bottom line is: work hard and identify a market that you can operate within, whilst recognising that success (or failure) may come from factors outside of your control.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's important to note that few if any people will make a million from their salary and most people are too unadventurous or organised to do so by other means.

Personally i'd like £2m but i'm under no illusion that it is even probable. In the short to medium term i have a financial goals..

1) Earn more than £19k so that i maintain my current living standards and start accumulating money for savings and investments (should be easy enough within the next 2 years - we don't all get on grad schemes sadly).

2) Save about £60k so that i can purchase my parents council house outright via the right to buy (technically they'd be purchasing it). If i were to also improve the home for say another £40k then i'd have a ~£150k asset. I hope to do this over the next decade.

3) Purchase my own home or city center apartment (depends if i'm married when that happens). This will have to be on a mortgage ideally over 10 years so requires a large deposit. My net worth afterward would be around £300,000 and i'd at least have true financial security in owning 2 homes.

From that point i really have two goals..

1) I'd quite like to self build (not literally myself but you get what i mean) my home. With enough land it may also be possible to produce fruit and veg to take to local stores and markets.

2) Once i have what i deem financial security (multiple homes and an above average salary) this is when i'd really tear into an investment portfolio dealing in equities, commodities and the like.

So not the most exciting plan and i will be getting on by the time i achieve all however i may end up getting to the million mark eventually which won't be bad considering that statistically i'll have risen from the lowest 10% of households to get inside the top third or so.
Hey guys, i know this might be a popular question but are any of you guys a millionaire!
And if so how did u become a millionaire, the reason im asking is i want to be a millionaire!
Im not a lazy 15 year old boy who sprnds all his money on videogames i have had an ebay shop which isnt much but it made me some money and i now have about £1000 saved.
Yes im only 15 and yes i want to be a millionaire but i know thats not easy and i wont win the lottery or be given it! All the stuff i have ever got i have worked for it myseld not got it bought.

I've got a wife and daughter who love me. So I am a millionaire a million fold!
Original post by Jesus Biggs
Being a millionaire for social reasons is dangerous. Being a millionaire as a side effect of success is fine IMO

In life you do not need copious amounts of cash, this is an illusion portrayed by the media. A misdirection to guide us away from what is important, which is loving and caring. Wish to be fertile, so u can have your own kids, wish to be blessed with the personality a woman wishes to have in her life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I think I'll take the dosh m8
Original post by Rakas21
It's important to note that few if any people will make a million from their salary and most people are too unadventurous or organised to do so by other means.

Personally i'd like £2m but i'm under no illusion that it is even probable. In the short to medium term i have a financial goals..

1) Earn more than £19k so that i maintain my current living standards and start accumulating money for savings and investments (should be easy enough within the next 2 years - we don't all get on grad schemes sadly).

2) Save about £60k so that i can purchase my parents council house outright via the right to buy (technically they'd be purchasing it). If i were to also improve the home for say another £40k then i'd have a ~£150k asset. I hope to do this over the next decade.

3) Purchase my own home or city center apartment (depends if i'm married when that happens). This will have to be on a mortgage ideally over 10 years so requires a large deposit. My net worth afterward would be around £300,000 and i'd at least have true financial security in owning 2 homes.

From that point i really have two goals..

1) I'd quite like to self build (not literally myself but you get what i mean) my home. With enough land it may also be possible to produce fruit and veg to take to local stores and markets.

2) Once i have what i deem financial security (multiple homes and an above average salary) this is when i'd really tear into an investment portfolio dealing in equities, commodities and the like.

So not the most exciting plan and i will be getting on by the time i achieve all however i may end up getting to the million mark eventually which won't be bad considering that statistically i'll have risen from the lowest 10% of households to get inside the top third or so.

How will you save up £60k within a decade if you're not earning much more than £19k? And you won't really have 'true financial security in owning two homes', because as you said your parents would own it, not you.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
How will you save up £60k within a decade if you're not earning much more than £19k? And you won't really have 'true financial security in owning two homes', because as you said your parents would own it, not you.

Howling Wolf:
Now looka here, I did not say I was a millionaireBut I said I have spent more money than a millionaire'Cause if I had've kept all my money that I'd already spentI would've been a millionaire a looong time ago ...that's me!
You missed your chance a couple of years ago when the price of bitcoins skyrocked to £1000 each. A few years before that, around 2009, they were only worth less than £1 so imagine buying 300 of them for £300 and make a profit of £30 mil years later. My advice is to wait for the next gold rush or maybe predict the next global financial crisis and bet against the market. It worked for Michael Burry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s865qLWy8-g
[video="youtube;s865qLWy8-g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s865qLWy8-g[/video]

Ha, i won't be earning so little for long. Once i'm promoted and have a year or two's experience i'll move to a firm with a proper management scheme. I'm fairly optimistic that i'll be on £30k+ in a decades time.

Technically they would yes, but after 10 years (the time in which they'd have to hold it for it to be sold at market price should i wish) then ownership would be transferred back to me in a tax efficient manner.
Original post by Rakas21
Ha, i won't be earning so little for long. Once i'm promoted and have a year or two's experience i'll move to a firm with a proper management scheme. I'm fairly optimistic that i'll be on £30k+ in a decades time.

1468636321045.jpg

I'm wondering what field of work you'll be doing...

And still, that doesn't explain how you're going to be able to save up £60k (and you may need even more than that when the time comes) in a decade.
1468636321045.jpg

And still, that doesn't explain how you're going to be able to save up £60k (and you may need even more than that when the time comes) in a decade.

I ended up in retail.

Living up north i only need £1300 post tax per month to maintain a pretty good standard of living, anything above that is pure savings. Allowing for reaching management and moving to a higher paid firm i should achieve a good enough salary to make those savings.
Original post by jamesthehustler
earlier this year I was technically (including assets) but most of it wasn't my money
but it took a lot of marketing and expert skill in a solid field

Interesting - I'm a millionaire too, if you include money that isn't mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shaymarriott
Interesting - I'm a millionaire too, if you include money that isn't mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well it was commission from the gold deal so I had £900,000 in cash for a day as well as my standard cash and stock and the money I had it the market but only £27,000 was mine the rest went back to the customers who had sold
Original post by jamesthehustler
well it was commission from the gold deal so I had £900,000 in cash for a day as well as my standard cash and stock and the money I had it the market but only £27,000 was mine the rest went back to the customers who had sold

I don't believe this for one minute i'm afraid.
The main reason is to make my life and my family's life better such as buy my parents a new house. We have always lived in a very small house

DId you have think about the possibility to get a (very) well paid job (say 80.000 pounds up to 150.000 pounds in a year?!) and to life a modest life and to save money at the same time till you become a millionaire? it is a long way, but it is not impossible.*

Sir Fox gave you good tips (post #11) how to achieve this goal.*
Reply 78
1468636321045.jpg

60k in a decade is not a particularly high benchmark
Billionaire actually.

Latest

Trending

Trending