Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will the religious people realize there is NO afterlife ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    yeah but thats your opinion just wait on this life and you wil realize there is life after death, this life is a mere test to judge where you will be placed in the afterlife for example and watch cant start just piecing itself together and working on its own someone is behind this revolutianry machinery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaliyah Saleh)
    yeah but thats your opinion just wait on this life and you wil realize there is life after death, this life is a mere test to judge where you will be placed in the afterlife for example and watch cant start just piecing itself together and working on its own someone is behind this revolutianry machinery
    And you know that, do you? What evidence do you have for this, other than it being written in a book 1000+ years ago?

I wonder if in 1000 years time people will think that magic used to exist when they uncover an old copy of Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    People used to believe that it was a FACT the earth was flat.
    No, it was not based on evidence so it was a belief. As soon as people started looking at things logically, and testing their hypotheses through observation and experiment (ancient Greeks), they soon realised, around 2,500 years ago, that the world was a sphere. Eratosthenes even calculated the earth's circumference over 2000 years ago. It is a myth that science thought the earth was flat.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.gif
Views: 125
Size:  498.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    And you know that, do you? What evidence do you have for this, other than it being written in a book 1000+ years ago?

I wonder if in 1000 years time people will think that magic used to exist when they uncover an old copy of Harry Potter.
    just do this go on google and type " things written in the quaran that science knew after" just do it and then come back after you read a few articles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Applepiex3)
    Madonna wasn't there in the beginning of time now, was she? If someone's purpose in life is waiting for a Madonna album then good for them but how does that make Madonna God? Please explain.

Your purpose in life doesn't need to be religion but religion does have a purpose. If religion has thrived to exist for thousands of years, surely there is a reason.

I would like to see people even remember that a women named Madonna even existed in thousands of years time. (No hating on Madonna personally lol)

You mentioned no one being around to see the books being written. People witnessed the Bible being written though as well as the Quran, lets not forget Torah and the book of Dawud. People were there and witnessed the events which took place.

An example from the scriptures would be the body of Ramses. I am sure you are aware of the story of Moses with the sea splitting apart. Science alone can never prove how that happened and let's ignore that unjustified matter and say that the sea never parted. In the scriptures which was written by God through Man, it talks about the bodies of those who were swept away in the sea; God said that he would preserve the body as a sign in the future. Back then people tried to search the body of Ramses however it was never found. The body was discovered thousands of years after, in 1898 in the red sea; unharmed regardless of not being preserved in any way. I found that pretty amazing.
    No, Madonna wasn't there at the beginning of time. Neither was religion or religious scripture.

Yes, there is a reason religion has survived so long, most likely because it comforts people to believe that this life isn't the end and because it's been enforced by the state for hundreds of years. But a reason for religion surviving doesn't mean that religion itself, or anything else, has a supernatural purpose.

Well the major Abrahamic religions still have a way to go before they catch up with the ancient religions. What about Homer's descriptions of the Greek gods? People witnessed him write the Odyssey, the Iliad etc, therefore they must be correct! Yesterday I also saw a pig fly, if I write it down on a piece of paper than that should solidify it as historic fact, right?

Wait, so you're trusting the scripture in some places, but not about the sea parting? So, basically, what you're saying is that you, a mortal, are picking and choosing what did and what did not happen in this holy text of yours, despite people of the past 'witnessing' the sea parting? Seriously, you don't even need me to undermine your own argument. And trust me, in the year 1898 the only thing that would be left of Ramesses' body would be dust, particularly if it was in the sea.

Edit: His body was discovered in a tomb anyway, not the sea lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    We are just a bunch of evovled apes.
    We DON'T have a "soul".

We only live ONCE and then we are dead for all eternity.
    No one is going to be reborn or incarnated.

bruh evolved apes science couldnt find a logical explanation so they made this up we aint fukin monkeys

ReputationRep:
    And when will YOU realise there's no point making shouty angry little threads on here which demean other people's believes mister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaliyah Saleh)
    just do this go on google and type " things written in the quaran that science knew after" just do it and then come back after you read a few articles
    Why don't you. I have done before, anyway, and if you look at the various translations over time it's curious how they change depending on the current level of scientific understanding. Hmm... can't think why that would be. Aside from that *little* point, in a text so vague you could attribute what it says to pretty much anything you want to.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as the 'truth' us humans could possibly ever know of. When you're here I'm assuming you're human and therefore can not step out of your body or mind and look at this matter objectively. So you're basically as clueless as religious people. We simply can't know.

Also, no need to get so mad about it, take a chill pill. We're all ****ed anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever someone tries to question my christian beliefs, my answer is always constant; A MAN WITH AN EXPERIENCE IS NEVER AT THE MERCY OF A MAN WITH AN ARGUMENT.

When you have experienced God and the depth of his love and his grace, when you have had a life changing encounter with the greatest man that ever lived, when you have walked with God, some questions are rather amusing instead of being annoying.

And so my answer is simple;
    I believe in God the Father
    I believe in Jesus Christ
    I believe in the Holy Spirit
    I believe in the resurrection
    I believe in the rapture.
    I am a proud Christian.

ReputationRep:
    When will non-religious people realise that there is an afterlife?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaredofdeath)
    There is NO life after death.
    We are our bodies , more precisely our brains.
    There is no such thing as a "soul".
    There is no such thing as "heaven" " hell" .
    These are all inventions of the religious people.
    No one is going to reborn , we only live once.
    I assume they'll realize it the day Hell freezes over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    Whenever someone tries to question my christian beliefs, my answer is always constant; A MAN WITH AN EXPERIENCE IS NEVER AT THE MERCY OF A MAN WITH AN ARGUMENT.

When you have experienced God and the depth of his love and his grace, when you have had a life changing encounter with the greatest man that ever lived, when you have walked with God, some questions are rather amusing instead of being annoying.

And so my answer is simple;
    I believe in God the Father
    I believe in Jesus Christ
    I believe in the Holy Spirit
    I believe in the resurrection
    I believe in the rapture.
    I am a proud Christian.
    I don't care what you 'believe'. Show me evidence. I've made arguments above, why don't you try to refute them. I imagine you won't be successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    When will non-religious people realise that there is an afterlife?
    When will religious people realise that claims without evidence are nothing more than claims (not truth)?

Show me genuine evidence and I'll believe you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRKinder)
    When will religious people realise that claims without evidence are nothing more than claims (not truth)?

Show me genuine evidence and I'll believe you.
    I don't need to give you any 'evidence'. You know that an afterlife and God exist. You're just in denial because you are too proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    I'd just like to point out for anybody here who blames "muslims" for terrorism that it is a small proportion of muslims who do so and to majority of other muslims hate their ideas just as much as anybody else.
    Just to be accurate, they hate their actions. However, they have the same ideas, (assuming that Muslims are telling the truth when they claim that the Quran is infallibly immutable, and the sunnah the perfect model for behaviour) they just implement them differently.

For example, the Quran and sunnah permits the use of captives for sex. Therefore, anyone claiming that the Quran is perfect and unchangeable, and the sunnah the best guide for society, condones the use of captives for sex. Most Muslims decline to implement this permission (after all, it's not compulsory), whereas some, like ISIS, take advantage of the divine and timeless permission.

However, it seems somewhat meaningless (not to say disingenuous) for the majority to condemn using captives for sex when they are, at the same time, implicitly condoning it.

It's like blaming all Christians for Priests who abuse children, or all Athiests for Jeffrey Dahmer or all Austrians for Hitler!
    No one blames all Muslims, however, there is certainly an issue of tacitly condoning some actions by refusing to reject the idea of infallible immutability.

If the Bible contained passages that explicitly permitted child abuse, and the majority of Christians refused to condemn and reject those passages, then there would be some level of implied support.

Have you heard of Anders Breivik? He killed more than 69 people. He was an athiest.
    No he isn't. He holds a blend of Christian and Norse pagan beliefs. And his actions were motivated by political ideology, not by a lack of belief in gods (which he doesn't even have!)

Tamil Tigers? Killed as many as 774 people in an etnic cleansing in 1990. They practically invented suicide bombing. Athiest! That's almost half as many victims in ONE attack as by ALL Islamic attacks in 2014.
    The Liberation Tigers were a Tamil nationalist organisation, most of whose members were Hindu. Their ideology was strictly political. They did not do anything in the name of atheism, or use a lack of belief in gods as justification for their actions.

Jeez, those are some seriously flawed arguments you have there!

If you are an atheist and believe a whole religion should be held accountable for the crimes of a few you should hold yourself accountable for the crimes of these people.
    Even if your arguments weren't already fatally flawed, there is no "atheist ideology" other than a lack of belief in gods. Therefore if any atheist's actions are about anything other that the lack of belief in gods, it has nothing to do with atheism. There is no atheist doctrine or aims. No texts, no rules. Therefore, you would have a hard time ascribing any actions to atheism.

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?
    Loving the irony!

ReputationRep:
    well someone is scared of death.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why belief in afterlives is so appealling: if you're poor and downtrodden, there's always something for you to look up to. Everything will be sorted in the end, your persecutor will be punished, your suffering will be rewarded with endless pleasure, your loved ones looked after. It's a strong non-drug-based antidepressant. The real world is VERY harsh. People are being robbed, raped, murdered, etc with no recompense.

A placebo to make you happy Vs Harshness of reality

The fear of death kept me in the path of religion and believing in an afterlife and heaven.
    Honesty and inquisitiveness made me leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    I don't need to give you any 'evidence'. You know that an afterlife and God exist. You're just in denial because you are too proud.
    Are you actually fcking serious? Omg.. you couldn't sound any more stereotypical if you tried. EVERY claim needs evidence. No, I don't "know that an afterlife and God exists", in fact using my rational mind I can look at the universe around me, evaluate the evidence and see that it's next to impossible for a God to exist. A 'creator' God who made the universe and then buggered off somewhere is unlikely, but the Gods of scripture are clearly false by the many contradictions and scientific impossibilities contained in the very texts.

Why would I deny apparently knowing God existed? It may interest you to know that I actually would like a 'perfect' afterlife to exist, it would bring so much comfort to know that life doesn't end when I die on Earth. But there is no evidence to suggest that an afterlife does exist, and as you are suggesting to me that it is there the onus is on you to provide me with evidence.

I'm sorry, but saying you don't need evidence to support something as ground-breaking as an afterlife just makes you sound like an idiot. At least most religious people attempt to provide evidence (albeit weak). But not even trying is just lazy. Why then, do you "know" that an afterlife exists? Other than being brought up in a religious environment, what made you realise that religion is correct? What if I were to claim that I can fly and lift 100 tons with one hand, without providing evidence? Am I right or wrong? What if I just "know" I can do it? Were I to seriously suggest that you'd call me a fool, yet it's just as (un)justifiable as what you are claiming to be true.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.