Maths C3 - Trigonometry... Help??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    No need, the quadratic is all in terms of a single unknown variable and that's as simple as it gets.
    OMG, I actually got it

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

So happy!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    OMG, I actually got it

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

So happy!!
    No problem, well done.

ReputationRep:
    How have I been stuck on Chapter 6: Trigonometry of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook for so long? Feel's like it's taking me ages to get through the book I was hoping to have finished all of it by now!

ReputationRep:
    How have I been stuck on Chapter 6: Trigonometry of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook for so long? Feel's like it's taking me ages to get through the book I was hoping to have finished all of it by now!
    Anything particular that you're stuck on?

ReputationRep:
    Anything particular that you're stuck on?
    Practically everything! :P

I'm constantly asking for help and still make stupid little mistakes. Feel like I have no hope of succeeding at A2 Barely even succeeded at AS!!

Feel like I need a tutor but really can't afford it :/

ReputationRep:
    Practically everything! :P

I'm constantly asking for help and still make stupid little mistakes. Feel like I have no hope of succeeding at A2 Barely even succeeded at AS!!
    Just practice otherwise you'll carry those stupid little mistakes to the exam which is not what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Just practice otherwise you'll carry those stupid little mistakes to the exam which is not what you want.
    Yeah true. But sometimes I feel like I'm practicing loads and loads but still struggle later on :/

How do I make sure I don't lose motivation?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true. But sometimes I feel like I'm practicing loads and loads but still struggle later on :/

How do I make sure I don't lose motivation?
    Er, dunno. If I don't succeed in one question, I learn from it, and take on then next one because I want to get it right, I suppose. Exams are still a loooong way away so you'll get it by then.

ReputationRep:
    Er, dunno. If I don't succeed in one question, I learn from it, and take on then next one because I want to get it right, I suppose. Exams are still a loooong way away so you'll get it by then.
    Yeah, I guess I've just got to keep powering my way through and learn from my mistakes. But I seem to struggle to get the answer in the first place unless you're there prompting me like you have been

That's true, exams are a long way away, but in terms of the time that I have, I don't actually have a lot of study time

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm stuck on Example 13 from chapter 6 of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook part (a) ... For now :P ... Anyway I have a lot of questions to ask about this so if anyone could help I'd be more than thankful

Name:  C3 - Trig Identities.png
Views: 27
Size:  36.2 KB

1) What gives the impression that ...  \mathrm{cosec}^4 \theta - \cot ^4 \theta is the difference of two squares??

2) With this situation how do you find the difference of two squares, as I only know how to when an equation is in the form Ax^2-b

3) How/where is the identity 1+\cot ^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta is being used??

Again, sorry for the ridiculously silly questions :/

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm stuck on Example 13 from chapter 6 of the Edexcel C3 Modular Maths Textbook part (a) ... For now :P ... Anyway I have a lot of questions to ask about this so if anyone could help I'd be more than thankful

1) What gives the impression that ...  \mathrm{cosec}^4 \theta - \cot ^4 \theta is the difference of two squares??

2) With this situation how do you find the difference of two squares, as I only know how to when an equation is in the form Ax^2-b

3) How/where is the identity 1+\cot ^2 \theta = \mathrm{cosec}^2 \theta is being used??

Again, sorry for the ridiculously silly questions :/
    1) Because both terms have the same even power and the whole expression is a difference. For any even power you can factor out a 2 which would make some arbitrary term to the power of 2, ie a square. So something like a^6=(a^3)^2 which is a square of some term to the third power.

2) \mathrm{cosec^4 \theta} - \mathrm{cot^4 \theta} = (\mathrm{cosec^2 \theta})^2-(\mathrm{cot^2 \theta})^2=...

Also Ax^2-b is not a form for a difference of two squares.. Difference of two squares is a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b). So something like A^2x^2-b^2 would indeed be a difference of two squares because A^2x^2=(Ax)^2

3) Second line. Second bracket equals 1.

ReputationRep:

A difference of two squares is this: a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b).

Here you have (\csc^2 \theta)^2 - (\cot^2 \theta)^2  = (\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta)(\csc^2 \thetaa + \cot^2 \theta).

Now the first bracket is \csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta but from your identity you know that \csc^2 \theta = \cot^2 \theta + 1 so subtracting \cot^2 from both sides, we have \csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta = 1.

So your factorisation becomes (1)(\csc^2 \theta + \cot^2 \theta)

ReputationRep:
    3) Second line. Second bracket equals 0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    lol...

ReputationRep:
    1) Because both terms have the same even power and the whole expression is a difference. For any even power you can factor out a 2 which would make some arbitrary term to the power of 2, ie a square. So something like a^6=(a^3)^2 which is a square of some term to the third power.

2) \mathrm{cosec^4 \theta} - \mathrm{cot^4 \theta} = (\mathrm{cosec^2 \theta})^2-(\mathrm{cot^2 \theta})^2=... try this.

Also Ax-b is not a form for a difference of two squares.. Difference of two squares is a^2-b^2=(a+b)(a-b)

3) Second line. Second bracket equals 1.
    Oh yeah. The difference of two squares never really made perfect sense to me until now. Thank you! I only knew how to solve the difference of two squares if it was written for example as... x^2-4 = (x+2)(x-2) but that's as basic as I could work out

(Original post by Zacken)
    A difference of two squares is this: a^2 - b^2 = (a-b)(a+b).

Here you have (\csc^2 \theta)^2 - (\cot^2 \theta)^2  = (\csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta)(\csc^2 \thetaa + \cot^2 \theta).

Now the first bracket is \csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta but from your identity you know that \csc^2 \theta = \cot^2 \theta + 1 so subtracting \cot^2 from both sides, we have \csc^2 \theta - \cot^2 \theta = 1.

So your factorisation becomes (1)(\csc^2 \theta + \cot^2 \theta)
    Thank you!!! That step by step process has really helped me!! These new Trig Identities that are introduced in C3 are really intimidating but I'm glad you're there to help I just need to keep familiarising myself. Hopefully it won't be too much of a struggle :doh:

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but keep you the good work mate. Oh and I can't help because I am learning C3 now

ReputationRep:
    Trying to understand how for part (b) that...
    sin^2 \theta +tan^2 \theta <<<goes from...
    ...to this... (1-cos^2 \theta)+(\sec ^2 \theta -1)

Edit: False alarm, I was being stupid. I realised that I just had to re-arrange using Trig Identities
    Edit: False alarm, I was being stupid. I realised that I just had to re-arrange using Trig Identities

Name:  C3 - Trig Identities.png
Views: 21
Size:  36.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    Trying to understand how for part (b) that...
    sin^2 \theta +tan^2 \theta <<<goes from...
    ...to this... (1-cos^2 \theta)+(\sec ^2 \theta -1)
    Because
    \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1

and (from dividing both sides by cos squared)

1+\tan^2 \theta \equiv \sec^2 \theta

Rearrange for sine squared, and tan squared, then sub them in.

ReputationRep:
    Because
    \cos^2 \theta + \sin^2 \theta \equiv 1

and (from dividing both sides by cos squared)

1+\tan^2 \theta \equiv \sec^2 \theta

Rearrange for cos squared, and tan squared, then sub it in.
    Thank you. I think all these Trig Identities are making me lose my mind which is why I've been making silly mistakes like that!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I think all these Trig Identities are making me lose my mind which is why I've been making silly mistakes like that!
    As long as you remember \sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \equiv 1 you can pretty much derive the rest from it so you don't necessarily have to remember all of them.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.