Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    This is in response to you saying
    'Meeting the offer is harder'. Nothing to do with imperial.
    Way to beat urself.
    I'm pretty sure I've stuck by that. You're going off-tangent here into your own universe. You've stated that many Cambridge applicants apply with A*A*A, well so do Imperial. You've also said only a small number get offers, well same for Imperial. You've said some get higher offers, well so do Imperial.What have I said wrong?

Ironically, you remind me of an alpha particle, extremely slow and unable to penetrate through the most simple things :/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Ironically, you remind me of an alpha particle, extremely slow and unable penetrate through the most simple things :/.

Just saying but physicsmaths recently got into Cambridge to study Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Just saying but physicsmaths recently got into Cambridge to study Maths
    Really? After what he said above? 😂

That kind of reveals a conflict of interest with regards to his bias on the topic.

He should stick to maths, because debates aren't his thing, clearly.

ReputationRep:
    Really? After what he said above? 😂

That kind of reveals a conflict of interest with regards to his bias on the topic.
    Yeah, I'm one of his stalker fanboys. His insurance was Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm one of his stalker fanboys. His insurance was Imperial.
    Doesn't the fact that he put his insurance as Imperial agree with what I'm saying with regards to the same applicants applying to both unis and having A*A*A then?

I'm surprised my physics joke didn't get more laughs to be quite honest.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the fact that he put his insurance as Imperial agree with what I'm saying with regards to the same applicants applying to both unis and having A*A*A then?

I'm not sure because his qualifications were different from the average applicant. Pretty sure he took a gap year after getting A-levels and did more A-levels (or resits IDK) in Physics and Additional Further Maths. From his profile he had an A*A* offer with S, 1 in STEP from Cambridge and AA offer from Imperial, but still got in with BB and 1,1 in STEP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure because his qualifications were different from the average applicant. Pretty sure he took a gap year after getting A-levels and did more A-levels (or resits IDK) in Physics and Additional Further Maths. From his profile he had an A*A* offer with S, 1 in STEP from Cambridge and AA offer from Imperial, but still got in with BB and 1,1 in STEP.
    B grades at Cambridge?

Edit: How do you get 1s in STEP, then Bs?

ReputationRep:
    B grades at Cambridge?

He got A*A*BB.

Because A-Levels are a pile of ****?

ReputationRep:
    B grades at Cambridge?

he has learning difficulties

ReputationRep:
    And... the thread devolves into an Oxbridge versus Imperial contest.

(Nice to see someone standing up for Imperial for once, lately that honour has been reserved for Warwick/King's )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    And... the thread devolves into an Oxbridge versus Imperial contest.

(Nice to see someone standing up for Imperial for once, lately that honour has been reserved for Warwick/King's )
    What arguement does anyone have for Kings' versus Oxbridge? They're a poor man's UCL.

ReputationRep:
    What arguement does anyone have for Kings' versus Oxbridge? They're a poor man's UCL.
    It was more of a Warwick versus the rest and King's versus the other London unis and places like Manchester/Durham...

...and I agree, they just manage to do everything worse

ReputationRep:
    You stated that Oxford was better for Engineering in your previous post regarding firming lower offers from Oxford over higher offers from Imperial, because Oxford was "better".It's not the students, it's general everyday people at my sixth form. It seems to have a better domestic and global reputation for some reason.You could argue that many people who fail to get an offer from Imperial also get A*A*A, as they would of likely been predicted this before they applied in order to meet the requirements for the A*A*A courses.Again, I'm not sure the slacking off bit due to lower entry requirements is realistic. These guys/girls are evidentially very hard workers and just because they need AAA doesn't mean they're going to work to the bare-minimum. One could in fact argue they'd be encouraged to work harder. I'm predicted A*AA, though most of my medical schools need AAA. Does that mean I'm going to slack off? No.
    No, I literally didn't. I said people firm Oxford over Imperial because "it's Oxford". It's the prestige, the name.

Meh, whatever.

Being predicted A*A*A doesn't mean you'll get it. And there's no need to argue, just find some numbers for how many Imperial rejects get A*A*A and then find some numbers for how many science Oxford/Cambridge rejects get A*A*A (if you can). I'm pretty sure Cambridge science rejects will get it more often, considering how many of them go to Imperial. :teehee:

He should stick to maths, because debates aren't his thing, clearly.
    not sure what you mean, that was a winning roast

No, him putting his insurance as A*A*A (as well as me, for the record), shows that getting those grades is piss easy for most successful Cambridge applicants.

yeah it got no laughs because it was dead mate

ReputationRep:
    You cannot conclusively state that more UCAS points = better A Level grades. It generally means more A Levels taken.

Imperial has standard offers of A*A*AA for all engineering courses, with A*AA-A*A*A for nearly everything else. This is easily higher than Oxford's, but marginally lower than Cambridge's - but since I was comparing it to the average Oxbridge student - Imperial comes out on top (as you need AAA to get into lots of courses at Oxford).

GG.
    Most Cam students achieve higher than the standard offer, so the offer's just another hoop to jump through having got an offer. The average science student gets ~3A*, whereas the standard offer requires 2A*, and the average arts student gets ~2A*, whereas just one is required in the offer. The offers Cam gives out are usually exceeded by most offer holders. When Cam increased the standard offer in sciences a couple of years ago, it was just changing it closer to what most offer holders achieved anyway.

Imperial probably have high offers as a way of selecting applicants i.e. only the best make the offer.

It is in this sense that standard offers may not be representative of the calibre of the students selected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    No, I literally didn't. I said people firm Oxford over Imperial because "it's Oxford". It's the prestige, the name.

Meh, whatever.

Being predicted A*A*A doesn't mean you'll get it. And there's no need to argue, just find some numbers for how many Imperial rejects get A*A*A and then find some numbers for how many science Oxford/Cambridge rejects get A*A*A (if you can). I'm pretty sure Cambridge science rejects will get it more often, considering how many of them go to Imperial. :teehee:

not sure what you mean, that was a winning roast

No, him putting his insurance as A*A*A (as well as me, for the record), shows that getting those grades is piss easy for most successful Cambridge applicants.

yeah it got no laughs because it was dead mate
    There was actually no word on whether Imperial would've accepted him or not, as he did miss his offer.

What is your response even meant to entail? That getting A*A*A is piss easy? It doesn't actually contribute anything. He said that applicants applying to Cambridge have A*A*A, but not those of imperial, then he contradicted himself by saying he put Imperial as his insurance, when he had those predictions. : /

Also, if you'd remember, I never stated that Imperial was better than Cambridge, I said it was better than Oxford, specifically for engineering. The other guy went off-tangent to something separate and you went along with him.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Also, if you'd remember, I never stated that Imperial was better than Cambridge, I said it was better than Oxford, specifically for engineering. The other guy went off-tangent to something separate and you went along with him.
    To remind you what you originally posted (and note it was a general statement, not specifically to do with engineering):

The average Imperial student probably has better A Level grades than the average Oxbridge student
    You still haven't shown this to be true. Your entire proposition is a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    Most Cam students achieve higher than the standard offer, so the offer's just another hoop to jump through having got an offer. The average science student gets ~3A*, whereas the standard offer requires 2A*, and the average arts student gets ~2A*, whereas just one is required in the offer. The offers Cam gives out are usually exceeded by most offer holders. When Cam increased the standard offer in sciences a couple of years ago, it was just changing it closer to what most offer holders achieved anyway.

Imperial probably have high offers as a way of selecting applicants i.e. only the best make the offer.

It is in this sense that standard offers may not be representative of the calibre of the students selected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My original point centred around both Oxford and Cambridge, which likely means the statistics you've mentioned would probably be brought down to a level possibly lower than Imperial's. I mentioned earlier that Cambridge students would have better A Levels, though I don't think it's the case for the Oxford students. Imperial and Cambridge's requirements are comparable for quite a lot of science courses, though that's less the case for Oxford - and when you consider the plethora of AAA courses they have, it gives a good possibility that average imperial student may have better grades overall. https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/ww...stics_2013.pdf

Page 26 shows that over 50% gain A*A*A or greater at Oxford for 2013.

I can't find any for Imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    To remind you what you originally posted (and note it was a general statement, not specifically to do with engineering):

You still haven't shown this to be true. Your entire proposition is a guess.
    You yourself offer an inflated statistic on the proportion of Oxford students gaining A*A*A or greater. As I said, this isn't something that can easily be concluded, due to a lack of data on Imperial's part.

Additonally, the conversation diverged from that statement to another, when someone mentioned that someone would firm Oxford over Imperial because it's better. I simply stated that it wasn't true in all cases, then highlighting engineering as being one of them.

Are you a Cambridge student too?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You yourself offer an inflated statistic on the proportion of Oxford students gaining A*A*A or greater. As I said, this isn't something that can easily be concluded, due to a lack of data on Imperial's part.
    What do you mean inflated?

Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/media/global/ww...stics_2013.pdf

Acceptances for 2013 entry: A-levels
    A*A*A*+ : 37.1%
    A*A*A : 27.2%
    A*AA : 24.0%
    Add A*A*A*+ and A*A*A = 37.1% + 27.2% = 64.3% : where's the inflation?

And you admit your assertion can't be concluded due to your inability to provide any evidence at all. I gave you the numbers for Cambridge and Oxford. You failed to find anything for Imperial.

I'm glad you have withdrawn it.

Great talking with you.

ReputationRep:
    ba dum tss

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.