Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would members of the public feel comfortable seeing burqa clad police officers holding firearms in Euston station or Heathrow airport for example? It really Dosent inspire confidence in being able to approach and neither is it the most reassuring thing to see after an inevitable Islamic terror attack. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that extremists could infiltrate the police force and use this to their advantage. Plus, do you really think that Muslim women who wear the burqa would be permitted by their family to join? Many Muslims hate British institutions like the police and armed forces. What if they turn a blind eye to the goings on in their communities? With Rotherham Oxford dewsbury and countless other examples, this is the last thing Britain needs

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48laJC8wYl4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    It wasn't muslims refusing to stand in solidarity with the Orlando LGBT community after the attacks - it was far-right extremists and Christian pastors.
    People don't need "Muslims standing in solidarity", they want to cease Muslim terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jee1)
    So what? Who are you to dictate what women should wear?

Freedom
    Almost all schools, and places of work have a dress code..*

Infact even being out in public has a legal dress code (though a very loose one)

- you spend almost all your life living under dictation of what you can and cant wear, with the only exception being in the privacy of your own home. *

--

The real question in this debate is not should we be able to dicate what women wear, as all female police officers are told what to wear, and what not to wear.. the question is should the burqa be on the allowed list, or the not allowed list, which requires a detailed analysis of the job requirements and whether the burqa would ever impeed them.

Freedom has no place in this argument, as no police offers have the freedom to wear anything they like. Only what is allowed and what is not. **

ReputationRep:
    Also how the hell would they do routine on the beat tasks l, such as seizing alcohol from minors in public places when they can't even touch alcohol. Will they give chase if a customer has stolen pork from a supermarket etc? There is to many variables that make the pursuit of a potential offender unlikely to be completed. There have been quite a few stories over the past few years where Muslims have refused to serve alcohol or pork products when working on checkouts. Transfer that same attitude to policing on the beat; what if they refuse to restrain another Muslim "because it's unislamic" or "not gods will" and then that person goes on to blow himself to smithereens in a busy public space?

ReputationRep:
    "our side" is what, exactly? My side is the right to wear whatever the **** you want and believe in anything you ****ing want. That's what this country has stood for, for many years now. Don't like it? Sod off out then.
    correct

e.g. police officers should be allowed to wander around in the nude while on duty, provided they wear adequate identification

the only problem is : where would they pin their badges ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    correct

e.g. police officers should be allowed to wander around in the nude while on duty, provided they wear adequate identification

the only problem is : where would they pin their badges ?
    Not the faintest clue why people compare modest dress, normal clothing, and overly-modest religious dress to nudity. Where even is the comparison? It's nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Not the faintest clue why people compare modest dress, normal clothing, and overly-modest religious dress to nudity. Where even is the comparison? It's nowhere.
    well, you are for absolute freedom, and defending
    the right to wear whatever the **** you want
    so, is wearing just a pair of earrings OK ?

and please, define what constitutes "normal clothing"

ReputationRep:
    well, you are for absolute freedom, and defending
    so, is wearing just a pair of earrings OK ?

and please, define what constitutes "normal clothing"
    I am not in favour of absolute freedom at all. How does defending the right to wear what you want providing it doesn't cause rational offence or harm, suddenly mean I'm pro-everything? There are limits. It depends on the law and each individual what they see as the limits, however. And I respect that but I don't have to agree with people who have a different opinion on those limits.

In my opinion, no.

Normal clothing - just day-to-day standard attire for the majority, you know, like shirts/t-shirts/skirts/trousers/joggers/shorts/whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Uh, yes they do, pal. And Muslim terrorism does not equals Muslim. It equals muslim terrorism. By you saying that, you're more or less condemning them either way - they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. You are the problem.
    Nope. Muslim terrorism is a product of Islam and Muslim communities. I'm not a part of either of them.

ReputationRep:
    I am not in favour of absolute freedom at all. How does defending the right to wear what you want providing it doesn't cause rational offence or harm, suddenly mean I'm pro-everything? There are limits. It depends on the law and each individual what they see as the limits, however. And I respect that but I don't have to agree with people who have a different opinion on those limits.

In my opinion, no.

Normal clothing - just day-to-day standard attire for the majority, you know, like shirts/t-shirts/skirts/trousers/joggers/shorts/whatever.
    there is no "normal clothing" in the absolute

each specific situation has some sort of dress code, and it can vary hugely (nudist beach/reception at Buckingham Palace.

The law simply tries to apply some sort of common standard : and this evolves with the times and the state of public opinion

for this reason, posting catch phrases and defending

the right to wear whatever the **** you want
    means nothing at all

people have fought wars about clothing rules. Especially when clothes indicate belonging to some group, they may be a political as well as a religious statement

we cannot ignore those aspects : and the devil, as usual, is in the detail

ReputationRep:
    This is literally the most draining debate - it's like talking to a brick wall
    please, feel free to take advantage of the wonderful late-summer weather

best

ReputationRep:
    So being a muslim instantly means = terrorism? Right, grow the **** up and get some basic education. That's not how it works. If anybody's to blame for the rise of Islamic extremist terrorism, it's the West, and our actions in the Middle East.
    Surely the blame for Islamic terrorism lies on Islam? Without Islam, there would be no Islamic terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Surely the blame for Islamic terrorism lies on Islam?
    by this logic, we should blame christians for the KKK

ReputationRep:
    If anybody's to blame for the rise of Islamic extremist terrorism, it's the West, and our actions in the Middle East.
    so, it's not the terrorists who are to blame, it's the "West". Understood.

yes, do enjoy the sunshine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Surely the blame for Islamic terrorism lies on Islam? Without Islam, there would be no Islamic terrorism.
    No. Not entirely. It's about the fact it's terrorism. Not Islamic. the IRA and many other organisations caused much higher rates of devastation in the world than any Islamic group to date. But nobody ever whinges about the religion, skin colour, or origin of those groups and they pleasantly forget the statistics.

"blame for the RISE of Islamic EXTREMIST TERRORISM".

ReputationRep:

He is like a Jew defending Nazis.

ReputationRep:
    "blame for the RISE of Islamic EXTREMIST TERRORISM".
    understood

we Westerners are to blame only for the "RISE of Islamic EXTREMIST TERRORISM", while Islam is to blame for its "normal" level and qualities

thanks for the specification

ReputationRep:
    My best friend is a practising muslim... so is his family... I have never been accepted with more love and respect in my life other than by my boyfriend's family.

It wasn't muslims refusing to stand in solidarity with the Orlando LGBT community after the attacks - it was far-right extremists and Christian pastors.
    There were Christian pastors that stood in solidarity with the victims and there were others that did not. There were Muslims who stood in solidarity with the victims and also some Muslims who did not. So I don't see why you're trying to suggest that Muslims somehow cared more than Christians about the Islamic terror attack in Orlando.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    He is like a Jew defending Nazis.
    This, there is no better example than what this user and people of similar ilk do.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.