unrealistic to go from a C to an A

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    I'm just speaking from my own personal experience but I believe it is highly possible provided you really do put the work in. I took AS chemistry and came to a shock on results day as I attained an E having got a U in one exam, a very low E in another and a C in the coursework component (old OCR) My teacher didn't even want me to study chemistry anymore and certainly wouldn't allow me to carry on into A2. I ended up taking an extra year and restarted AS. I've just finished sixth form now and having got my A2 results I attained an A in A level chemistry. Trust me if you put the work in (and I mean going to see your chem teacher atleast once a week during lunch times, after school etc) and revise every past paper under the sun you can do it

I'm hopefully going on to study veterinary medicine and have been told by tutors the resits should not harm my application too greatly
    congrats!! all the best for your future, thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwaks)
    Hey, I was in the same position as you after I did my AS last year...I got a C and my teacher said it wasn't possible for me to get an A (got C's in all units). I changed classes in year 13 and my new teacher said I should resist my AS exams. During year 13 I tried to work really hard (although sometimes I went back to procrastinating). I sat both my Chemistry AS exams on top of my current A2 exams. Fast forward to results day...I got an A in all my chemistry units and an A overall. So it's definitely possible, don't be disheartened!! You can do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks for the reply! you did so well m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elastichedgehog)
    Easily, I went from ACC to AAAC at A level
    well done! thats so good thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    I want to go from a C to an A* in bio so if you beleive you can and you know how to improve then anything is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parrotperson)
    Don't worry, my sister managed to go from a D to a high B in chemistry and a C to a high A in biology A-level along with 7 resits and having panic attacks in the final exams If you have the motivation to do it, you can achieve it
    thanks for replying, thats great! hope your sister is okay now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GabbytheGreek_48)
    I want to go from a C to an A* in bio so if you beleive you can and you know how to improve then anything is possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    that is exceptional, well done!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryamkhawaja)
    Is there any point of retaking AS? If you got C's and D's? In linear exams.
    hi, I'm guessing you didn't read the earlier replies I live in Wales and so the exams aren't linear, AS contribute to 40% of the A-Level grade

ReputationRep:
    One guy in my class went from a U in his AS Business exam to an A in the real one. It's possible

ReputationRep:
    I went from a E to an A in a graphics exam! You can do anything if you believe in yourself and work hard!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 543216789)
    I had a C in as chemistry because of personal circumstances and my chemistry teacher said that it is unrealistic to get from a C to an A (even with resits). I'm looking for opinions/experiences because i need an A and what she said really disheartened me
    I did exactly this. It's definitely possible

ReputationRep:
    I had a C in as chemistry because of personal circumstances and my chemistry teacher said that it is unrealistic to get from a C to an A (even with resits). I'm looking for opinions/experiences because i need an A and what she said really disheartened me
    At GCSE I was doing foundation for additional science for chemistry physics and biology always got C's however a few months before the exam I decided to do higher chemistry and biology in which I got an A in chemistry a A in biology, however the day before the physics exam I got my Physics paper changed to a higher paper and I got a high B (2 marks off an A)
    So yes it's possible
    btw overall science I got an A

ReputationRep:
    Never listen to your teachers when they discourage you from something like this by saying it's unrealistic and being negative. It is definitely possible if you work hard. I know someone who a teacher told would never pass a particular subject and guess what? They did. Remember it is possible and it doesn't matter what your teacher thinks. Work hard and your results will be ones to be proud of.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your replies! I've realised there's no point taking teachers so seriously. Another teacher told me today it's very rare that someone has two grade jumps but I'm so motivated to prove them wrong now!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think sex education should be compulsory in schools?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.