Black 13 Year Old Shot Dead

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Anyway I've read the article and there is not enough information to make a judgement. It's not very convincing for anyone yet alone a 13 year old to pull a weapon on an officer, chances are the cops found it after they killed him or he was trying to hand it over and the cop got trigger happy.

What I really want to know is they were actually responsible for the robbery. Because the alleged victim would have gave a description that would have specified age. Now if he stopped these kids when he was supposed to be looking for men, then clearly this is another deadly case of racial profiling.
    If somebody pulling a weapon on police is so unconvincing then hoe have thousands been murdered over the past few decades, pretty sure that involves pulling a weapon on the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Sounds like a very sad and unfortunate incident, where no-one is particularly to blame, but perhaps the police can learn from it.
    Well, they've certainly had enough 'practice incidents' fatalities to learn from haven't they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    If somebody pulling a weapon on police is so unconvincing then hoe have thousands been murdered over the past few decades, pretty sure that involves pulling a weapon on the police.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because one he is a child (who is most likely familiar with Tamar Rice at that). Two, he wasn't even carrying a real gun so what kind of stand off could he possibly expect to have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    What's the big deal over him being black? If he was a white robbery suspect would the police have laughed and let him off??? Of course they wouldn't people need to grow up and look past that at the fact that
    A) a boy pulled a gun (although it was fake it looked realistic) on an officer
    B) The police shot a kid.
    TBH in this circumstance I don't blame them, but I know if this was the UK he would have been shot non-lethally and be alive for questioning.
    So basically gun laws are poor, and the yanks need to grow a pair and knuckle down on their lax gun laws, then remove them from their officers.
    SOME of the cops in america are brutal due to a person being black over the slightest issue eg; walking 1 metre away to get out of the traffics way and you'll be shot 8 times (when you weren't even armed or under arrest). Another example: 'suspected' of selling loose cigarettes and you'll get put into choke and have your face shoved into the concrete while you tell them you cant breath 10+ times (once youre suffocated nobody will perform cpr)
    name of the person im talking about are Eric Garner
    Its also not just that, its the fact that they do stuff like edit the bible and go to so much effort to try hide that ancient egyptians weren't of african descent.
    ALSO i'm not black or white (mixed 1/4 puerto rican 1/4 cuban 1/4 samoan 1/4 columbian-carib indian)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempest II)
    I do sometimes wonder why police don't shoot for the leg; at least that way the guy should survive.
    I suppose it's easier to aim for the centre of mass though & if it's your life in danger you're going to want to safeguard it.
    Still, certainly for kids I definitely think a shot to a non-lethal area should be the first option where possible. At the end of the day, the officer has to make their own decision though.
    Centre of mass is more likely to hit and more likely to make it so they can't shoot you back. If you have the aim to shoot someone in the leg every time, and could ensure they wouldn't shoot back after they are hit then I would say you should shoot them in the leg.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who fully supports BLM in America...

That is one realistic as hell looking BB gun. Wouldn't have known the difference unless you were actually holding it

Shame the boy died though

ReputationRep:
    Because one he is a child (who is most likely familiar with Tamar Rice at that). Two, he wasn't even carrying a real gun so what kind of stand off could he possibly expect to have?
    And the police officer is supposed to know that it wasn't a real gun? Or should the police officer gamble with his life that the armed robbery suspect either is carrying a fake gun or is unwilling to shoot?

If he is familiar with Tamir Rice maybe he should of thought maybe pulling a gun out isn't a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    And the police officer is supposed to know that it wasn't a real gun? Or should the police officer gamble with his life that the armed robbery suspect either is carrying a fake gun or is unwilling to shoot?

If he is familiar with Tamir Rice maybe he should of thought maybe pulling a gun out isn't a good idea.
    You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true".

ReputationRep:
    You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true".

Well ok let's ignore what has been said even by his friend who was there at the time that he drew the gun and instead push something else as it helps a cause you like.

ReputationRep:
    Well ok let's ignore what has been said even by his friend who was there at the time that he drew the gun and instead push something else as it helps a cause you like.
    Link? I read the article in the OP and saw no such testimony.

ReputationRep:
    Link? I read the article in the OP and saw no such testimony.
    I misread it sorry the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run.

ReputationRep:
    I misread it sorry the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run.
    Link?

ReputationRep:
    Link?
    It mentions how he wanted to rob somebody and even people who had seen the gun up close couldn't tell it was fake.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/1...d-rob-someone/

ReputationRep:
    You missed the point completely. I'm saying that the likelihood that a kid will draw a toy gun a cop that's pursuing him is very improbable. You can't defend yourself with a toy, that makes no sense. In the wise words of Judge Judy Sheindlin, "if it doesn't make sense, it's usually not true"
    People don't always think clearly and make smart decisions when they're panicked (thirteen-year-old boys especially). They have a tendency to do dumb things.

He may have simply pulled it out in order to drop it or show that it wasn't a real gun, for instance. An adrenaline-fueled kid doesn't necessarily stop and think: "I should put my hands on my head and state calmly that I have a BB gun in my pocket."

ReputationRep:
    It mentions how he wanted to rob somebody and even people who had seen the gun up close couldn't tell it was fake.

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/09/1...d-rob-someone/
    Thats not what I was asking for. I was asking for a source that supports your claim that "the friend says he pulled the gun on the armed robbery victim and then after initially complying with police tried to run".

(Original post by Dandaman1)
    People don't always think clearly and make smart decisions when they're panicked (thirteen-year-old boys especially). They have a tendency to do dumb things.

He may have simply pulled it out in order to drop it or show that it wasn't a real gun, for instance. An adrenaline-fueled kid doesn't necessarily stop and think: "I should put my hands on my head and state calmly that I have a BB gun in my pocket."
    I understand all of this and I'm not denying the plausibility of this possibility. I didn't say he would have the most rational thoughtful reaction. But people are painting the story that this kid essentially tried to kill a cop with a toy gun is really absurd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    What's the big deal over him being black? If he was a white robbery suspect would the police have laughed and let him off??? Of course they wouldn't people need to grow up and look past that at the fact that
    A) a boy pulled a gun (although it was fake it looked realistic) on an officer
    B) The police shot a kid.
    TBH in this circumstance I don't blame them, but I know if this was the UK he would have been shot non-lethally and be alive for questioning.
    So basically gun laws are poor, and the yanks need to grow a pair and knuckle down on their lax gun laws, then remove them from their officers.
    No they'd have just taken him alive and picked up some fast food for him in case he was peckish. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-chief.html

I get what you're saying, the cop legitimately may not have been able to tell it was a fake gun, but there is a genuine race issue in the US as well (and your points about the gun laws are valid as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    No they'd have just taken him alive and picked up some fast food for him in case he was peckish. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ice-chief.html

I get what you're saying, the cop legitimately may not have been able to tell it was a fake gun, but there is a genuine race issue in the US as well (and your points about the gun laws are valid as well).
    It's amazing to push this racial agenda people supporting BLM only ever use this case because the number of whites killed by police is higher in pure numbers and proportional to violent crime.

ReputationRep:
    I thought assisted suicide was illegal.

ReputationRep:
    RAYSISM!

ReputationRep:
    So the police now have super powers meaning they can tell whether a gun I'd "real" or not the moment they see it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.