The Student Room Group

Need to decide by tommorrow if I want to take my hijab off

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
You lot are stressing me out :frown:
And I didn't write this is my initial post because I didn't want a full blown religious debate but seeing as it has already turned into that I might as well say my piece. My sister read around Islam a lot and she left Islam because she didn't find the religion to make any sense whatsoever. She then told me to do my own research instead of blindly following a religion I was born into. This past summer I have been reading around Islam and so many things unnerve me about this religion, why can a man 'plough his field whenever he wants to'? Why did the prophet marry a six year old and have sex with her when she was 9? Why is homosexuality punishable by death? Why can a wife not frown in the presence of her husband but her husband can 'lightly beat her with a miswaak?' So yh in addition to my initial post, I really am starting to become disillusioned with Islam. But again I'm scared of what people will say/do if I take off the hijab. My uncle left islam and became a priest and he was beaten by the community and forced to move elsewhere. His whole family also disowned him so yh I just want to take things one step at a time rn

This is a good place to start, critical thinking and analysis and the realisation that Islam is full of flaws and contradictions.

You could take it one step at a time and if necessary, pretend you're a Muslim until you are financially independent enough to move away. This is something many ex-Muslims have done and there's an ex-Muslim Society on this website if you need support and advice from people who have actually left Islam.

If you want to take your hijab off I'm sure you can give examples to the haters in your community of Muslim women who don't wear it and reason with them that a piece of cloth on your head doesn't determine someone's integrity. But in the long term I don't think it's a good idea to wear the hijab because of toxic individuals in a poisonous community, otherwise you are sacrificing your own happiness and opportunity for a fresh start by being at their mercy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar
You're going to get both very different opinions on here.
Muslims on one hand will tell you to keep it on, non Muslims on the other will tell you to ditch it.
This will probably confuse you even more.

I think the problem is you don't understand the reasoning behind wearing the hijab. You're just wearing it because you were told you had to, or for some other reason which has led you to wear it just for the sake of it.

Before you make your decision just make an effort to research why Allah (SWT) has sent down this command, what the actual purpose is behind wearing it and why it's important.
Have a read online and offline, and watch some videos to help you.
Then make your decision after this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

YESSS!!! JazakAllah Khairan someone knows whats its all about! :smile:
Smh at the responses in this thread :colonhash: OP, you are the only person who will have to answer for your own actions, you cannot point the finger at other people and say they recommended that I take it off or keep it on. The choice is your own, I've known close friends who made the decision to wear it, it was a huge step for them and one they felt happy to take after feeling very nervous indeed.

Just remember: 'For indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.' (Qur'an 94:5-6)
Reply 63
Original post by MiszShortee786
YESSS!!! JazakAllah Khairan someone knows whats its all about! :smile:

BarakAllahu feeki :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Is your mum ok with your sister leaving Islam? If she is then respect to her. Muslim communities need more people like your mother.

She ignores it because she knows she can't do anything about it
You lot are stressing me out :frown:
And I didn't write this is my initial post because I didn't want a full blown religious debate but seeing as it has already turned into that I might as well say my piece. My sister read around Islam a lot and she left Islam because she didn't find the religion to make any sense whatsoever. She then told me to do my own research instead of blindly following a religion I was born into. This past summer I have been reading around Islam and so many things unnerve me about this religion, why can a man 'plough his field whenever he wants to'? Why did the prophet marry a six year old and have sex with her when she was 9? Why is homosexuality punishable by death? Why can a wife not frown in the presence of her husband but her husband can 'lightly beat her with a miswaak?' So yh in addition to my initial post, I really am starting to become disillusioned with Islam. But again I'm scared of what people will say/do if I take off the hijab. My uncle left islam and became a priest and he was beaten by the community and forced to move elsewhere. His whole family also disowned him so yh I just want to take things one step at a time rn

Your issues go far deeper than hijab. I would really recommend sitting down with someone knowledgeable in real life and going through them one by one or message one of the sisters from the isoc and talk it through. Like I do understand the hijab is one issue for you right now but you have other bigger issues which may push you to leave Islam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by getfunky!
Smh at the responses in this thread :colonhash: OP, you are the only person who will have to answer for your own actions, you cannot point the finger at other people and say they recommended that I take it off or keep it on. The choice is your own, I've known close friends who made the decision to wear it, it was a huge step for them and one they felt happy to take after feeling very nervous indeed.

Just remember: 'For indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease.' (Qur'an 94:5-6)

But Heir FuhrerFunky, I haven't k0ed anyone on this thread, pls no smh at me :frown:
Just you do what makes you more comfortable. Try it off for a while and if you don't like it or feel uncomfortable then put it back on. And please don't only keep it on because you feel pressured because that will just make you feel rubbish and you won't be wearing it for the right reasons
Original post by MiszShortee786
And how does one cover their modesty? And I dont listen to Male scholars so please get your information right.

The idea you have that Muslim women should wear a hijab because that equates to modest is rooted from scholars in the past making this interpretation for themselves and passing it along to gullible believers.
As I said earlier in this thread, the Quran says something along the lines of a woman should cover her bosom and modesty with a Khumir. Khumir is a cloth which covers something. Taking this away from the context of modesty it could mean a cloth covering a table even.
So actually modesty could mean everything from not walking around everywhere in a bikini or nude to simply covering your chest and not letting everything hang out by placing a cloth or clothing over your chest to cover it
(edited 7 years ago)
You ask a bunch of strangers whether or not to wear the hijab. What has this world come to :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i agree with your friend
the reasons you stated on why you want to keep it on has nothing to do with religion, so clearly you're not doing it for God
might as well take it off

Spoiler

Original post by IdeasForLife
Your issues go far deeper than hijab. I would really recommend sitting down with someone knowledgeable in real life and going through them one by one or message one of the sisters from the isoc and talk it through. Like I do understand the hijab is one issue for you right now but you have other bigger issues which may push you to leave Islam.

I have. I sat down with a scholar from my local mosque. I asked him why the prophet married aisha when she was 6 years old and had sex with her when she was 9. He said women matured earlier back then. I asked him why Allah didn't tell the prophet that it was still morally wrong. The scholar said that after the age of puberty a girl is biologically a woman so there is nothing wrong with having sex with her. I then asked him if it was okay for a grown man to have sex with a 9 year old who has hit puberty in this day and age (because he is following the sunnah of the prophet) The scholar said yes, it is permissible in Islam. I stopped listening to him after he said that.
I'd say try working with e.g. learn about the Hijab and what it means etc & the rewards behind it. this is so you can understand the religious reasons that may encourage you to carry on wearing it & if you 100% feel you don't want to wear it then take it off. Don't consider it 'taking off' consider it as a way of improving your faith and start learning more about the religion. As far as others, ignore them and take pride in yourself. :smile: Goodluck inshaAllah youll be fine lovely Xx
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
So what was her reaction to when your sister left it? I admire both her and your uncle. It must be incredibly difficult and scary to openly come out to the community and leave Islam.

My mum doesn't react to it or she just tuts. My sister openly calls Islam bs and the prophet a schizophrenic. My mum just shakes her head and tells her that she'll learn when 'she's in her grave'..my mum isn't one to force religion on us tbh
She just worries that if I take my scarf off I'm going to go off the rails at uni with clubbing etc
Original post by Studentxoxo
I'd say try working with e.g. learn about the Hijab and what it means etc & the rewards behind it. this is so you can understand the religious reasons that may encourage you to carry on wearing it & if you 100% feel you don't want to wear it then take it off. Don't consider it 'taking off' consider it as a way of improving your faith and start learning more about the religion. As far as others, ignore them and take pride in yourself. :smile: Goodluck inshaAllah youll be fine lovely Xx

This was a sweet, encouraging post :smile: Thank you x

I see. It was good of you to go out and ask that. How do you think marriage age should work? Should there be a set age or should there be some other indicator?
I have. I sat down with a scholar from my local mosque. I asked him why the prophet married aisha when she was 6 years old and had sex with her when she was 9. He said women matured earlier back then. I asked him why Allah didn't tell the prophet that it was still morally wrong. The scholar said that after the age of puberty a girl is biologically a woman so there is nothing wrong with having sex with her. I then asked him if it was okay for a grown man to have sex with a 9 year old who has hit puberty in this day and age (because he is following the sunnah of the prophet) The scholar said yes, it is permissible in Islam. I stopped listening to him after he said that.

Well... at least he's consistent.:s-smilie: I would advise you to take a small break from organised religion, find where you stand before joining anything. You don't subscribe to 'People' magazine if you hate tabloids.

Spoiler

This thread has thoroughly stressed me, and got worse with every post. I can't believe there are so many judgemental people on here. I'm Muslim and because I don't wear hijab, that makes me a muslim just by name? Who the hell are you to make such a statement about non hijabis? So, according to you, they aren't muslim enough and will not go to Jannah? Alhamdullilah, I have read the Qur'an and I pray five times a day. So, if I don't wear hijab, people will not take me seriously as a Muslim. What a stupid statement to make. And, my sister is a hijabi, and I'm not. But, let me tell you she gets more compliments than me out on the streets.

Also, I've seen many hijabis with see through clothing and tons of makeup. They also only have guys as friends.

I, on the other hand don't have any guy friends in real life, I don't hang out with guys like I've seen most hijabis do.

Once, I saw a hijab with skin coloured tight tight trouser. And, I could see her underwear and all of the guys on the train were staring at her voluptuous butt. So that's ok? After we got off the train, I asked her the purpose of her hijab when she is wearing such clothes. Do you know what she said to me? 'You don't even wear hijab so don't lecture me'. I was shocked.

I shop at the men's section. I wear clothes which are so so so baggy (long jumpers and loose track bottoms). You can't even see my figure. So, just because I don't wear hijab but cover the rest of my body with baggy clothes, I'm still destined for hell? Lol you guys make me laugh with your double standards.

(Not saying everyone has this kind of mentality but whoever does should try reevaluate theirs.)
Original post by Saba XD
This thread has thoroughly stressed me, and got worse with every post. I can't believe there are so many judgemental people on here. I'm Muslim and because I don't wear hijab, that makes me a muslim just by name? Who the hell are you to make such a statement about non hijabis? So, according to you, they aren't muslim enough and will not go to Jannah? Alhamdullilah, I have read the Qur'an and I pray five times a day. So, if I don't wear hijab, people will not take me seriously as a Muslim. What a stupid statement to make. And, my sister is a hijabi, and I'm not. But, let me tell you she gets more compliments than me out on the streets.

Also, I've seen many hijabis with see through clothing and tons of makeup. They also only have guys as friends.

I, on the other hand don't have any guy friends in real life, I don't hang out with guys like I've seen most hijabis do.

Once, I saw a hijab with skin coloured tight tight trouser. And, I could see her underwear and all of the guys on the train were staring at her voluptuous butt. So that's ok? After we got off the train, I asked her the purpose of her hijab when she is wearing such clothes. Do you know what she said to me? 'You don't even wear hijab so don't lecture me'. I was shocked.

I shop at the men's section. I wear clothes which are so so so baggy (long jumpers and loose track bottoms). You can't even see my figure. So, just because I don't wear hijab but cover the rest of my body with baggy clothes, I'm still destined for hell? Lol you guys make me laugh with your double standards.

(Not saying everyone has this kind of mentality but whoever does should try reevaluate theirs.)

I wish there were more open minded people like you.:h:

You're awesome :top::top:
Original post by Saba XD

I think only one person sorta said that. The vast majority of Muslims in the thread didn't say anything along those lines.

What you said is correct. If anyone says otherwise, ignore them.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending