Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

What is Birmingham like to visit and live in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    I've lived in Birmingham all my life (well minus 3 years in Bristol for uni and 3 months in the US) and I quite like it. I come from a pretty well-off area but I like the city centre too. The Bullring and the main streets off there (New Street etc) are good for shopping, the area round by the canals is pretty (Broad Street) and I love the Museum and Art Gallery in Chamberlain Square. Just don't go to Propaganda for a night out.
    propaganda is great!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdotd)
    propaganda is great!!
    If you're 17, maybe

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who thinks the Bullring is shite? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Am I the only person who thinks the Bullring is shite? :confused:
    It's infinitely better than the old bullring (yes I'm old enough to remember).

The bullring serves a purpose, I'm not a huge fan, but then I avoid town tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    It's infinitely better than the old bullring (yes I'm old enough to remember).

The bullring serves a purpose, I'm not a huge fan, but then I avoid town tbh.
    I can't remember the old one but remember Selfridges being built, used to walk past it on the way to Digbeth, the buildings are nice it's just the shops, probably just me tbh.

Can't wait for Arena Central, 103 Colmore Row, Beorma phase 3 & Paradise to go up :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember the old one but remember Selfridges being built, used to walk past it on the way to Digbeth, the buildings are nice it's just the shops, probably just me tbh.

Can't wait for Arena Central, 103 Colmore Row, Beorma phase 3 & Paradise to go up :cool:
    Just imagine Erdington high street in a shopping centre and you'll get the image

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its preferable to be rodgered by a cactus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I have a friend down in Birmingham who I'm considering going to visit for a weekend, can anybody who lives there recommend me good places to go and places to avoid? I would really appreciate it in advance to plan my activities
    If you value your life don't go to Burmingham.

ReputationRep:
    T

Reallllllllllly nice city. visited the city centre and got food at the market. Theres a really really big China town. And you can actually afford food in this city (unlike London). For £3 I got a 9 inch baggeutte full of eggs, sausage, mushroom, tomato and bacon. And tea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I've heard its preferable to be rodgered by a cactus.
    (Original post by Ttingox)
    If you value your life don't go to Burmingham.
    :toofunny:

(Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Reallllllllllly nice city. visited the city centre and got food at the market. Theres a really really big China town. And you can actually afford food in this city (unlike London). For £3 I got a 9 inch baggeutte full of eggs, sausage, mushroom, tomato and bacon. And tea.
    You are actually awesome for keeping your word and posting this here; thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    :toofunny:

You are actually awesome for keeping your word and posting this here; thank you so much!
    no problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Big up you, glad you enjoyed it. Did you get a chance to try any of the Asian restaurants?

ReputationRep:
    Big up you, glad you enjoyed it. Did you get a chance to try any of the Asian restaurants?
    nah only visited the city centre for a few hours. Spent the rest of the time at the NEC and a hotel near the airport.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is such a divided city. The south is lovely though. The further south you go, the better Birmingham gets. Venture too far south, and you'll end up in Warwick, Worcester or Stratford upon Avon, which are all very posh places indeed!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend down in Birmingham who I'm considering going to visit for a weekend, can anybody who lives there recommend me good places to go and places to avoid? I would really appreciate it in advance to plan my activities
    Go to bearwood, to this place called Neelams Kebab House. Ask for a chicken donner burger meal, it's only £2.00.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyx)
    Go to bearwood, to this place called Neelams Kebab House. Ask for a chicken donner burger meal, it's only £2.00.
    Technically, Bearwood isn't in Birmingham

Never been to Neelams, might have to give it a try now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voi)
    Birmingham is such a divided city. The south is lovely though. The further south you go, the better Birmingham gets. Venture too far south, and you'll end up in Warwick, Worcester or Stratford upon Avon, which are all very posh places indeed!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Aston
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Coldfield
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Oaks,_Birmingham
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutton_Park

Quite a lot of nice areas in North Brum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Technically, Bearwood isn't in Birmingham

Never been to Neelams, might have to give it a try now.
    You do

Never been there myself but I hear its primarily populated by dark matter. Anyway I would suggest visiting Glen Coe instead.

ReputationRep:
    They live in Solihull, wherever that is

Is there anywhere particular noteworthy?
    Solihull is nice. So is Edgbaston and Harborne, the latter of which I live in. Bartley green is meh but I suggest you don’t go anywhere apart from Solihull, Edgbaston, Harborne, and the city centre.

EDIT: Oh, and Sutton Coldfield.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.