Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

B1059 – Quota Discrimination Bill 2016

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Nay for the basic reason that if a private company feels that they benefit from quotas then who are we to say otherwise.

I feel that a lot of people here are too focussed on their own ideology and ideological reasonings to think about the practical implications of their ideas.

I've said this on another thread but when affirmative action had taken place in the USA it had shown employers that black people were just as capable as anyone else. In the UK today, we don't have that much of an issue however there is still a long way to go. If you're like me, a white male, and you feel discriminated against then I put it to you that you should probably get your head out of your arse (I say the same thing to a lot of middle class white women too).

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Lime-man)
    Nay for the basic reason that if a private company feels that they benefit from quotas then who are we to say otherwise.

I feel that a lot of people here are too focussed on their own ideology and ideological reasonings to think about the practical implications of their ideas.

I've said this on another thread but when affirmative action had taken place in the USA it had shown employers that black people were just as capable as anyone else. In the UK today, we don't have that much of an issue however there is still a long way to go. If you're like me, a white male, and you feel discriminated against then I put it to you that you should probably get your head out of your arse (I say the same thing to a lot of middle class white women too).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you don't think quotas are discrimination then you should look up the word discrimination.

"In human social affairs, discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit." That is exactly what quotas do.

Do you say it like this?
    https://youtu.be/0diJNybk0Mw

I like this idea that now companies should be allowed to use quotas and people shouldn't get involved well surely if a private company feels the need to hire 100% white straight able bodied male who are we to stop that we better remove all equality legislation.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm the head of the Red Cross for example, why shouldn't I wish to ensure at least 50% of my staff can speak French?

The fine is stupid.

In it's current form No, though I may well be convinced to vote for a superior version of this bill. Unfortunately, Nigel proves again and again to be too stubborn to amend his legislation to make it passable.

(Original post by joecphillips)
    If you don't think quotas are discrimination then you should look up the word discrimination.

"In human social affairs, discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit." That is exactly what quotas do.

Do you say it like this?
    https://youtu.be/0diJNybk0Mw
    Not all discrimination is a bad thing and discrimination and meritocracy don't have to be mutually exclusive, as TDA explained earlier.

I like this idea that now companies should be allowed to use quotas and people shouldn't get involved well surely if a private company feels the need to hire 100% white straight able bodied male who are we to stop that we better remove all equality legislation.
    Equality legislation protects minorities and those vulnerable from discrimination, you're not a minority and you're probably not vulnerable either. As much as you want to play the oppressed character because you feel left out or whatever, you're not at the end of the day so suck it up like the rest of us and get on with your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Actually upon reading the debate it appears that Saoirse:3 has utterly demolished this bill to the point where it would require revisions as to make it an almost unrecognisable bill for me to consider voting for it.

(Original post by RayApparently)
    Actually upon reading the debate it appears that Saoirse:3 has utterly demolished this bill to the point where it would require revisions as to make it an almost unrecognisable bill for me to consider voting for it.
    Hear hear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not all discrimination is a bad thing and discrimination and meritocracy don't have to be mutually exclusive, as TDA explained earlier.

Equality legislation protects minorities and those vulnerable from discrimination, you're not a minority and you're probably not vulnerable either. As much as you want to play the oppressed character because you feel left out or whatever, you're not at the end of the day so suck it up like the rest of us and get on with your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are mutually exclusive you are either picked by identity politics or you are picked on merit.

You can't argue that it's to use quotas because discrimination is good.

What one is it discrimination is good or it isn't discrimination because it's against a certain group?

They are mutually exclusive you are either picked by identity politics or you are picked on merit.

You can't argue that it's to use quotas because discrimination is good.

What one is it discrimination is good or it isn't discrimination because it's against a certain group?
    The points have already been raised and I'm not going to repeat myself or repeat what others have already said over and over again. If you're so deluded that you can't see that not all discrimination is bad or that discrimination and meritocracy aren't mutually exclusive then that doesn't affect me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The points have already been raised and I'm not going to repeat myself or repeat what others have already said over and over again. If you're so deluded that you can't see that not all discrimination is bad or that discrimination and meritocracy aren't mutually exclusive then that doesn't affect me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least you are clear that you don't care if one group is discriminated against.

Personally I don't support giving people things to people because of race gender etc but it seems you do

At least you are clear that you don't care if one group is discriminated against.

Personally I don't support giving people things to people because of race gender etc but it seems you do
    Do you feel inadequate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you feel inadequate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No but unlike you I see people of colour, women, LGBT people as equal to me and not needing me to hold their hand so they can succeed like children.

No but unlike you I see people of colour, women, LGBT people as equal to me.
    Have you ever been effected by an employer using quotas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you ever been effected by an employer using quotas?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you ever been effected by this discrimination you say exists for people?

If we were only able to discuss things that we have been personally effected by then we won't have a lot to discuss here.

Have you ever been effected by this discrimination you say exists for people?

If we were only able to discuss things that we have been personally effected by then we won't have a lot to discuss here.
    Do you feel discriminated against by quotas?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I'm applying for a job and I know that there are jobs available that I can't get because of my gender, skin colour etc. then it's not just feeling discriminated against it is actually being discriminated against.

I think it would be a good time to point out that I actually could qualify for some of these quotas due to me having dyspraxia, why should i be rewarded for it? It is the reason when asked if I have a condition on application forms I put prefer not to answer.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Given that I am in one of the groups discriminated against by all quotas seriously called for, by definition, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I'm applying for a job and I know that there are jobs available that I can't get because of my gender, skin colour etc. then it's not just feeling discriminated against it is actually being discriminated against.

I think it would be a good time to point out that I actually could qualify for some of these quotas due to me having dyspraxia, why should i be rewarded for it? It is the reason when asked if I have a condition on application forms I put prefer not to answer.
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Given that I am in one of the groups discriminated against by all quotas seriously called for, by definition, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fair enough guys. If that's the case then you should easily be able to find me a job that you can't apply for because of your race, sex, sexuality etc then.

Care to find me one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough guys. If that's the case then you should easily be able to find me a job that you can't apply for because of your race, sex, sexuality etc then.

Care to find me one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Quick enough for you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...ing-placement/

An old one but still relevant http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ply-white.html

A subway tried it http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/8216-fe...ail/story.html

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/concierge...using/30402813

I believe this http://www.bestjobsuk.co.uk/jobs/job...B2E0C522F448E4

Nice effort but those weren't even jobs and they weren't paid.

If you'd read the article you'd have realised. Fancy trying again?

A spokesperson said: "This is a training and development programme designed as a positive action scheme to address an identified under-representation of people from ethnic minority backgrounds in script editing roles at the BBC."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Updated: September 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.