Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why are females abused for gaming?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dheorl)
    This isn't entirely true. I'm not aware of the deal with nudes, but plenty of male gamers have been "swatted" over the years.
    That is targeted. I forget about that kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    For sure it's because they are women. Before menisists start crying, that does not mean this never happens to men, but if you look at the proportion of women it's happening to, versus the proportion of men...
    ... you'll find that men are abused more

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/2...e-harassment/*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    ... you'll find that men are abused more

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/2...e-harassment/*
    "Young women suffer particular severe forms of online harassment".

Thanks mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    "Young women suffer particular severe forms of online harassment".

Thanks mate.
    We call this fallacy shifting the goalposts. You made the claim that online abuse happens more to women than it does to men and I provided evidence for the contrary. I wasn't addressing any claims on severity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    We call this fallacy shifting the goalposts. You made the claim that online abuse happens more to women than it does to men and I provided evidence for the contrary. I wasn't addressing any claims on severity.
    You will also see from my other posts, that the other part of my argument is that what women experience is much worse. I never denied that there is toxicity everywhere. In fact, I myself, as a man, have on multiple occasions been wished anything from cancer to aids to death, or my mum being raped. All I am saying is that what women experience is worse. And that while some men get that, too, women get it a lot more. But I admit that reading only that post you are right and it reads as overall women are abused more, which is wrong. So sorry about that. Though I must question your use of we...

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.