Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Is it unusual to be in the situation I am in? Unemployment

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered moving abroad? Obviously we are out of the EU now so that is not an option. But the rest of the world? I would move in an instant if I got a job somewhere like Australia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James.Carnell)
    Yeah, they don't trust us. And I tried to omit graduate jobs from the CV but then they talked about gaps. I get really annoyed at this especially when companies invite you to an interview but then they say how they hire 90% of people internally anyway...

It's like why the **** did you waste my travel money then?

Also don't get me started on recruitment consultants contacting you just so that they fill their quota. Parasites.
    Some recruitment consultants (and agencies) are good though. That was how I got my first job even though it was temporary.

ReputationRep:
    Also don't get me started on recruitment consultants contacting you just so that they fill their quota. Parasites.
    If I can tell someone is BS'ing me or if it's a job that clearly doesn't match my CV (E.g all the Recruitment and Sales jobs) I just nod and agree with whatever they're saying, ask them if there's a job spec they can email me and then never contact them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I have a two month gap on my CV from the last time (when I had the offer but was waiting for my start date) and I have never, ever been asked about it.
    Actually come to mention it, my employers at my current workplace didn't ask me about my gap in my work history (as I took a 2 month break).

ReputationRep:
    I think employers probably don't ask about a 2 month gap is because it's really quite insignificant. Most grads take that gap even if they start a grad scheme straight out of uni. The gap is a normal amount for someone who leaves a job, gets a new job in a reasonable time frame (say a month - including first application, interview etc), then waits for when the new employer can take them (often people can't start straight away). If it's longer, though, an employer will probably ask because if it's true that you've spent 4+ months unemployed but looking for a job, that would be a red flag as to why you couldn't get employed in that time. And if it's a persistent problem - i.e. not just one gap during a job change, but consistent gaps throughout 2-3 years because you haven't had a permanent job, I imagine that would be a similar red flag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    I think employers probably don't ask about a 2 month gap is because it's really quite insignificant. Most grads take that gap even if they start a grad scheme straight out of uni. The gap is a normal amount for someone who leaves a job, gets a new job in a reasonable time frame (say a month - including first application, interview etc), then waits for when the new employer can take them (often people can't start straight away). If it's longer, though, an employer will probably ask because if it's true that you've spent 4+ months unemployed but looking for a job, that would be a red flag as to why you couldn't get employed in that time. And if it's a persistent problem - i.e. not just one gap during a job change, but consistent gaps throughout 2-3 years because you haven't had a permanent job, I imagine that would be a similar red flag.
    I know it is a problem because when I was working the employer just said a candidate for another role was "****ing useless" for having a year long gap. They don't care about the circumstances or even care to know and the individual just falls by the wayside dependent on the state.

Short of saying "I will work for free" there is nothing I can do about my situation. I think I might be ****ed after getting rejected from a call centre.

ReputationRep:
    I know it is a problem because when I was working the employer just said a candidate for another role was "****ing useless" for having a year long gap. They don't care about the circumstances or even care to know and the individual just falls by the wayside dependent on the state.

Short of saying "I will work for free" there is nothing I can do about my situation. I think I might be ****ed after getting rejected from a call centre.
    Thats how I felt when leaving temporary jobs but luckily managed find a permanent job afterwards. Its nice for someone to have faith in me and giving me a chance to 'shine.'
    Ironically my first temporary job was a call centre but the role wasn't sales based though.

I actually know someone who has never worked in their life and it took them nearly 2 years to find a first part time job after graduating from a not so good university. They are working in a warehouse and will be stuck in there for quite a while now. Resigned as they had enough but realising the tough competition they forced to go back!

A problem for most graduates is that they don't want an office job but the thing is almost all jobs are office work. All businesses have paperwork; even if you want to start up a business you still need to deal with all the paperwork first-hand!

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.