Exam reform and more: education secretary Justine Greening Q&A: post your questions!

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What are your views on making SRE compulsory in all schools, and are there any plans to possibly enforce this?

ReputationRep:
    Why did I never get any SexEd?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuWill2001)
    Can I ask a question about equality? She is also Minister for Equalities
    Definitely - go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    How will we combat the new reformed remarking system when many of us have experiences of marks changing drastically due to poor marking and stop this from occurring in the future?
    You need to improve your gaming strategies, now that Ofqual have decided not to improve the quality of marking, by bringing a system that makes it harder to challenge. The aim being able to say that the quality of marking is improving (as the number of re-marks fall due schools understanding the system is rigged against them).

Doing A levels and GCSEs is nothing to do with education. If it occurs then it just a happy by-product. Window dressing is more important than fairness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    On 8 November, TSR has been invited to Westminster to film an interview with Justine Greening, secretary of state for education.

In her role, Greening heads up the Department of Education, having the final say on policy covering every stage of the school system, colleges, universities, apprenticeships, A-level/GCSE reform and more.

We're just going to need two things:

- Some questions to ask
    - Someone to ask them

And you can help with both.

Post your questions for Justine Greening below - we're going to take all of them with us to the interview and will ask as many as we have time for.

Plus, if you choose to post your question as a video clip, you'll go in the hat to join the TSR community team on the trip to Westminster. Not only that, you will get to host the interview, asking all the questions to the education secretary on camera.

We'll judge all the videos submitted and choose one person to come along on the day.

Wondering what to ask? Here are a few facts about Justine Greening to get you started:
    - She is the first education secretary to have attended a comprehensive secondary school.
    - She will oversee the first round of new GCSE grades, with grades A*-G set to be replaced by 9-1 in some subjects next summer.
    - She will also take on responsibility for reformed A-levels, with the first results for the new A-levels coming out next August.
    - As education secretary, she has the final say on school budget plans - at a time when more school places are required than ever before.
    - She has recently announced a £4.4m fund to tackle bullying in schools.
    - She is also minister for women and equalities and is believed to be the first openly LGBT person to hold the role.
    - She was an accountant before becoming a politician, working for several big firms including PwC and GlaxoSmithKline.
    - She studied economics at the University of Southampton.
    Did Michael Gove make her job now easier or harder?
    whyohwhy

Has she listened to this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07x20bz

ReputationRep:
    Did the interview go ahead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james813)
    Did the interview go ahead?
    It did indeed - we filmed this last Monday and we're just getting the final edit sorted now. We'll have it all ready by tomorrow - I'll give everyone from this thread a nudge once it's live so you don't miss it. Topics covered include grammar schools, tuition fees, mental health support, sex ed, exam reform, marking standards, careers advice and Michael Gove. We even got her to answer a couple of questions from the Chat forum...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    We even got her to answer a couple of questions from the Chat forum...!
    …she's braver than most…

ReputationRep:
    Slightly disappointed in some of the answers, Justine Greening didn't really answer the questions on tuition fees - just more government rhetoric (why does she think removing student caps is a good idea when the Conservatives have spent years denigrating Labour for their 50% of people having a degree target? :confused:).

Thanks for asking my question on tuition fees being made available to students wanting to study abroad, I hope Greening will take that idea and give it some serious consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Justine Greening, the secretary of state for education and equalities, answers your questions

We collected over 60 questions from the TSR community, organised them into themes and merged them together where we could. We ended up with 14 questions on:
    • Grammar schools
    • Exam reform
    • Tuition fees
    • Mental health
    • Sex and relationship education
    • Technical education
    • Careers education

And we even slipped in PQ's question on Michael Gove.

Then came a couple of personal questions about inspiring teachers and quotations and our time was up.

The interview took place at the Department of Education on Monday 7th November. The interviewer is PerfectBrew4 .

We think the results are well worth watching.

But what do you think? Is the government is moving in the right direction or heading up some blind alleys?

quote list

this woman makes me so angry just listening to her! bloody tory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Justine Greening, the secretary of state for education and equalities, answers your questions

We collected over 60 questions from the TSR community, organised them into themes and merged them together where we could. We ended up with 14 questions on:
    • Grammar schools
    • Exam reform
    • Tuition fees
    • Mental health
    • Sex and relationship education
    • Technical education
    • Careers education

And we even slipped in PQ's question on Michael Gove.

Then came a couple of personal questions about inspiring teachers and quotations and our time was up.

The interview took place at the Department of Education on Monday 7th November. The interviewer is PerfectBrew4 .

We think the results are well worth watching.

But what do you think? Is the government is moving in the right direction or heading up some blind alleys?

quote list

Rather tangential towards the end:sadnod:. Definitely didn't address at least 40% of what she was asked.:sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    This interview makes me so angry - Justine Greening quite obviously has no idea and is completely ignorant to what the school system is really like...GCSEs were a huge waste of time: I got an A* in science through memorising a textbook, and had no idea what I was memorising. One year on, I don't remember a word of it. GCSEs are a test of memory of one particular day at one particular time on a few particular topics...her failure to understand that and her defence of a broken education system is frankly insulting...
    As for the idea that creating a grade above an A* gives students more leeway to achieve more, I think that's rubbish. Giving a grade above an A* is absolutely detrimental to the already deteriorating mental health of young people, reinforcing Gove's idea that there is never a good enough, that there is always more to do. I wish this interview could have been more of a debate and less of an acceptance of this ignorance...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenstressaddict)
    This interview makes me so angry - Justine Greening quite obviously has no idea and is completely ignorant to what the school system is really like...GCSEs were a huge waste of time: I got an A* in science through memorising a textbook, and had no idea what I was memorising. One year on, I don't remember a word of it. GCSEs are a test of memory of one particular day at one particular time on a few particular topics...her failure to understand that and her defence of a broken education system is frankly insulting...
    As for the idea that creating a grade above an A* gives students more leeway to achieve more, I think that's rubbish. Giving a grade above an A* is absolutely detrimental to the already deteriorating mental health of young people, reinforcing Gove's idea that there is never a good enough, that there is always more to do. I wish this interview could have been more of a debate and less of an acceptance of this ignorance...
    couldnt agree more, gcse's are simply a basic memory test, and still people like Greening wonder why our education system lags so far behind others

(btw i also got A*A*A in the sciences and can literally remember nothing a year on as well lol, literally just spent the week before the exam memorising facts from a textbook- it shouldnt work like that. The German education system is so much better, you get your grades based on average performance throughout an entire year (tests, coursework, etc) you actually have to learn in a system like that. Plus it means less mentally strong kids dont crumble under pressure from "life-changing, have a bad day and yer f*****d" exams

ReputationRep:
    It's probably worth pointing out (given that most GCSE and A level students would have been 12-15 when this happened and be completely unaware) that Gove scrapped all coursework from GCSEs and most A levels as one of his first actions back in 2010 (with controlled assessments getting scrapped later on).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    why do you hold the belief, like most politicians, that taking someone's money against their will isn't theft? thank you
    ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    ???
    He's most likely an anarcho-capitalist.

ReputationRep:
    How ready are school and university leavers for a new digital world? Have developments in teaching & education kept up with changes in industry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    He's most likely an anarcho-capitalist.
    Bingo.

Makes me laugh how they managed to ask what her favourite quote is, yet completely ignore my question. Seems they don't want to ask the questions that actually matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    PRSOM
    But if Justine is as awesome as I believe she is, she'd love to answer the following question:Which MP has the pointiest nose? Explain in detail. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar. A bonus mark will be awarded for a reference to tanks. [9 marks]
    :rofl:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.