Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why do south asians act white

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khan_star)
    Please note this only applies to SOME south Asians not all. So don't think I'm stereotyping

I'm a south Asian and proud and have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act white

Why though

I mean their really hypocritical and they claim they are from Dubai but they are desi.

They also make fun of other south Asians who take pride in their ethnicity if they watch bollywood and that

They disregard asian values, music, food, clothes

They try and get hangovers

Smh. I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same person

They also are sometimes ashamed of their religion.

Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity
    It's who they hang around with. I know what you mean though they have a proper British accent even one white people don't have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "I'm a south Asian and proud"
    So you're a race supremacist? That's not a great way to start a conversation!

"...have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act white"
    What does it mean to "act white" though? I have many white friends and they all speak with posh British accents, other than that I can't tell the difference between the whites, blacks and Asians!

"...watch bollywood..."
    If you have any sense of self worth, AVOID BOLLYWOOD AT ALL COSTS.

"They disregard asian values, music, food, clothes..."
    I hate Asian food but only because my rear end resembles a Japanese flag the day after.

"I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same person"
    I would've made fun of you too! You're in England, not Pakistan or India. I'd be laughed at too if I approached some Asian kid in France and started talking Urdu with them!

"They also are sometimes ashamed of their religion."
    If my religion advocated bigotry and superstitious thinking, I too would be ashamed of it. But thankfully I left my religion long ago (side affect of being able to think independently).

"Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity"
    I take pride in my achievments. You should also take pride in your achivements and if you don't have any, don't think having racial pride will fix it.

It won't.

But by all means, if you want to mirror your fellow white supremacists with their notions of ethnic and cultural superiority, maybe you should get a room together, you have more in common with them than you think.

ReputationRep:
    I'll say its more of the indians and pakistani's that do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    I can relate strongly to this. When you're one of the few or even the only one in your race of a dozen white people, you feel instantly isolated from everyone else because of how different YOU LOOK compared to everyone else. You can't help it, it's just THERE. I remember, guilty as it makes me feel now, wishing that I was "white" in primary school to be like everyone else.

I don't feel like this anymore, and like you, I am proud of my culture and ethnicity. Being different is something I now savour and value.

I totally agree that you should take pride in your culture/ethnicity. but for me, who a lot of Asians would consider me a "coconut", my parents taught me NOTHING of my indian culture. not that they aren't brilliant parents, but I know very little about my previous generations before me, no one taught me punjabi (very sad about this).

and I cannot cook roti ):

So what I'm trying to say is, it's not always the persons fault, for some people it's how they were raised to act as children by their parents.
    Lol, I can relate to this (sort of)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khan_star)
    Please note this only applies to SOME south Asians not all. So don't think I'm stereotyping

I'm a south Asian and proud and have seen many south Asian teens disregard their culture and act white

Why though

I mean their really hypocritical and they claim they are from Dubai but they are desi.

They also make fun of other south Asians who take pride in their ethnicity if they watch bollywood and that

They disregard asian values, music, food, clothes

They try and get hangovers

Smh. I got made fun of by saying salam alikum to a fellow asian by that same person

They also are sometimes ashamed of their religion.

Like deal with it you are asian. You can't change that. Take pride in your ethnicity
    Hey I'm like you and I am proud of my heritage

The people who dissociate from their cultures are those who feel insecure about their identity when they are especially regarded as a minority here in the UK. They think that by disregarding their culture they can more easily blend into western society. As a result they will not get singled out. This is completely sad in my opinion. Whilst it is important to assimilate to western culture to an extent it is also important to keep your identity(not just applicable to South Asians).

Having said that, I personally despise Asian food and clothes (I just don't like it). This does not mean I have abandoned my roots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsar101)
    Hey I'm like you and I am proud of my heritage

The people who dissociate from their cultures are those who feel insecure about their identity when they are especially regarded as a minority here in the UK. They think that by disregarding their culture they can more easily blend into western society. As a result they will not get singled out. This is
    completely sad in my opinion. Whilst it is important to assimilate to western culture to an extent it is also important to keep your identity(not just applicable to South Asians).

Having said that, I personally despise Asian food and clothes (I just don't like it). This does not mean I have abandoned my roots.
    couldn't agree more. I'm glad I finally found someone like you . You like bollywood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Don't Know 79)
    ur sinhala, im tamil, **** den this is not rite
    Sorry, I'm a bit lost. What's not right? Do you mean you're Tamil but speak Sinhala and Tamil, and I'm Sinhala but don't speak either language? Or something else? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    let them be. that's their life. why be bothered? technically, nothing is wrong with that. "asian" pride, "white" pride, "black" pride- those only creates divide. when you see a baby, he doesn't care what race he is and would hug everyone (if he is not shy). so, why should you complicate your life with worrying "why some asians act like white?"

ReputationRep:
    Um, why do you care, mate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Un sueño)
    I didn't choose to be brown. I am a Manc and associate myself with white people. I don't like people who watch Bollywood, eat Indian food or wear stupid clothes. My family were born here and we don't live in these crap areas like Wolverhampton.
    Excuse me, why are you calling it stupid? That's just how the traditional clothes are, look at some European traditional dress, they're different to modern clothes too, but that's not stupid to you is it?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Ukrainian woman in traditional clothes
    Spoiler:
    Show

Romanian traditional clothes
    Fair enough you don't like the culture yourself, your opinion that's fine. But why are you ****ging it off?

ReputationRep:
    What's it to you if some South Asians prefer being more Westernised?

ReputationRep:
    Lol my friend is south asian and hates being called desi LOL tbh i find it weird too because there are different ethnicities within south asia so why are you ALL calling yourself desi?

anyways, ethnicity is irrelevant lol

ReputationRep:
    maybe because south asia has a strong rape culture/the men throw acid on women/corrupt ? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    maybe because south asia has a strong rape culture/the men throw acid on women/corrupt ? lol
    Raping isn't part of the culture lmao, just because a lot of people do it it doesn't mean it's actually part of the culture, MAJORITY of South Asians aren't rapists only a fraction of 'em are........

ReputationRep:
    The person I quoted is banned lol

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.