why we need religion?

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who_Cider)
    2/10 trolling, you might want to take a few tips from 4chan.
    what the hell is 4chan? and what is trolling LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samantham999)
    what the hell is 4chan? and what is trolling LOL
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    We don't need fairytales in the 21st century.

Religion poisons everything good in this world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Gaben)
    We don't need fairytales in the 21st century.

Religion poisons everything good in this world.
    I'm happy for people to believe what they want privately. Even fairytales if they wish as long as it does not impede on public life. In my world you could set up a Jedi Knight Academy or an Islamic faith school but it would have to be a private school. It could receive no public funds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who_Cider)
    I'm happy for people to believe what they want privately. Even fairytales if they wish as long as it does not impede on public life. In my world you could set up a Jedi Knight Academy or an Islamic faith school but it would have to be a private school. It could receive no public funds.
    I absolutely agree with you. Live and let live is what I believe.

I don't have a problem with religion, just that I believe that religions should not get special concessions, and that laws should be based on secular values.

I just don't like it when people take religion too seriously, like when everything is centred around religion, and when religious people have this holier than thou attitude and look down upon those that have very little interest in religion.

ReputationRep:
    Homosexuals just expect everyone to agree with their orientation. Honestly, so what if religion is restrictive? its restrictive because its trying to protect you. God shows us what is right and wrong so what do you expect when someone does wrong? they get punished

You need to grow up, the world is sunshine & rainbows you weirdo
    And where do you think that the new testament says being gay is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Calling people 'cretins' and 'weirdos' - very god-fearing. NOT!

ReputationRep:
    society, homosexuals think its a cool trend to be gay.
    Let me give you an example, a guy for e.g is not macho/manly like the stereotype and he has some feminine qualities, he mistakes this for being interested in men and therefore effs men.
    Yes its definitely a cool trend.If they live in the middle east they get to enjoy hanging from a crane.If they lived 70 years ago they got to wear these really cool pink triangles.Its not a trend you *******.Thats why gay people have been around for millenia in many different societies, irregardless of there oppressiveness.

Thats no fun they edited out my insult.I called you a bell end.Hopefully it works like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    In what way can I not know yet?
    Of my 7 children, two of them are gay. I have always known they were gay from when they were young as did their siblings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunnysideSea)
    Why do atheists care so much? Seriously, if your atheistic lives are so darn fulfilling why feel the need to keep going on about it?
    because we're generous and altruistic

truth clearly stands out from error, and we would like that other people benefit from it

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    because we're generous and altruistic

truth clearly stands out from error, and we would like that other people benefit from it

best
    There's no 'truth' in atheism by definiton I'm afraid. By defining it as the 'absence of belief' atheism is no longer an intellectual position but a description of your psychological state, hence neither true nor false. Be careful with your words.

Best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufassir Ahmad)
    Cause, we need to manage our life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erm, no, there is no 'we'. You might need it. Speak for yourself, and no one else.

ReputationRep:
    There's no 'truth' in atheism by definiton I'm afraid. By defining it as the 'absence of belief' atheism is no longer an intellectual position but a description of your psychological state, hence neither true nor false. Be careful with your words.

Best
    Pardon if I'm mixing you with another person, but have you claimed in the past that atheism is indeed a belief, and thus an intellectual position? (it could be another person -- but I remember someone trying to argue that)

ReputationRep:
    Because its the only truth in this world?
    ???
    So we all decended from Adam and Eve, despite the biological impossibility?
    The firmament is a real thing that acts as a solid roof over the world?
    The Earth was formed before the sun?
    The Earth is flat?
    Humans were built of clay?
    Women on their periods are dirty?
    A boat was created that held 2 of every species?

And these are just mostly the non-contradictory Abrahamic ones, there's plenty of other religions in direct opposition to these views.
    How can they all simultaneously be the truth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Pardon if I'm mixing you with another person, but have you claimed in the past that atheism is indeed a belief, and thus an intellectual position? (it could be another person -- but I remember someone trying to argue that)
    I have no idea what I've argued in the past but it doesn't really matter, on your own definition atheism becomes a description of your psychological state, so not something to be shown to be true or false.

Of course, if atheism were a positive claim that the big G doesn't exist (which some argue it is), and therefore not a description of your psychological state, atheism would indeed be a belief and a verifiable intellectual position.

ReputationRep:
    To be anti black/asian/women is not the same as being against homosexuality you cretin. Homosexuality is a man made corrupt thought where you choose to enjoy effing the same gender not something that is given to you.
    So you think a gay Muslim chooses to be gay, even though this choice will at best make his life much harder than if he "chose" heterosexuality, and in some Muslim country's cause him to lose his liberty or even his life?

Sounds plausible. Yeah, I can really see where you are coming from here. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what I've argued in the past but it doesn't really matter, on your own definition atheism becomes a description of your psychological state, so not something to be shown to be true or false.

Of course, if atheism were a positive claim that the big G doesn't exist (which some argue it is), and therefore not a description of your psychological state, atheism would indeed be a belief and a verifiable intellectual position.
    Yes, I do understand that stance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    ???
    So we all decended from Adam and Eve, despite the biological impossibility?
    The firmament is a real thing that acts as a solid roof over the world?
    The Earth was formed before the sun?
    The Earth is flat?
    Humans were built of clay?
    Women on their periods are dirty?
    A boat was created that held 2 of every species?

And these are just mostly the non-contradictory Abrahamic ones, there's plenty of other religions in direct opposition to these views.
    How can they all simultaneously be the truth?
    Can't say with certainty, but I'm fairly sure that Catholicism doesn't uphold any one of those things as true in reality. The OT is not interpreted literally.

Likewise, no one particularly believes all religions are simultaneously true. Perhaps many have elements of truth, but this is where discourse between religions is so vital. Theology is a human enterprise, and humans make errors all the time.

ReputationRep:
    There's no 'truth' in atheism
    of course there is

since there is no God, atheism perfectly describes truth

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    of course there is

since there is no God, atheism perfectly describes truth

best
    Well done for not reading/understanding the rest of my reply. And to think atheists parade themselves as being the intellectuals among us lol

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.