MHoC By-Election: Notification

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Given that it says "or fewer". I feel that just giving seats to the fewer that stand and then leaving others empty seems a weird call, I'd interpret it as being that all the seats are left or the seats are returned.
    Pipe down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Pipe down
    He does have a point tbf, though of course it's for the Speaker to interpret and act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Given that it says "or fewer". I feel that just giving seats to the fewer that stand and then leaving others empty seems a weird call, I'd interpret it as being that all the seats are left or the seats are returned.
    Not really, it's quite normal in here to give out a seat to all who stand if there are more seats than candidates.

The only call that would need to be made there is if and when to put the unfilled seats back up for election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    You're the ones who went there lol
    I think i remember that clip. Apparently Corbyn did not feel betrayed about the individuals going against him but was absolutely broken that the Labour Party as a whole could do this to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Not really, it's quite normal in here to give out a seat to all who stand if there are more seats than candidates.

The only call that would need to be made there is if and when to put the unfilled seats back up for election.
    I mean the point of that section is surely to make sure members are actually elected and not appointed because you need a democratic mandate to be an MP.

I would argue that with your interpretation you need to run the election with them against RON and if RON wins you do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I mean the point of that section is surely to make sure members are actually elected and not appointed because you need a democratic mandate to be an MP.

I would argue that with your interpretation you need to run the election with them against RON and if RON wins you do that.
    We don't do RON in House-wide elections, we follow (albeit with the d'Hondt voting system) the RL setup as closely as realistically possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    We don't do RON in House-wide elections, we follow (albeit with the d'Hondt voting system) the RL setup as closely as realistically possible.
    We use RON in by-elections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)

And even if everybody spoilt their ballots they would still be duly elected, it is an uncontested election and as such the election does not take place, their mandate comes from the lack of competition. My parish IRL hasn't had a council election for decades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    We use RON in by-elections
    No we don't, we use Spoilt Ballot like in GEs.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, Premier_Hirohito: last activity three weeks ago, just a single post. Should we get a dupe check? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I forgot the two are different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Yes, I forgot the two are different.
    Hillary Clinton, is that you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Hmm, Premier_Hirohito: last activity three weeks ago, just a single post. Should we get a dupe check? :laugh:
    Do not fear, for he is a Redditor XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    Do not fear, for he is a Redditor XD
    I don't know which alternative is worse, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know which alternative is worse, to be honest.
    Well, at least we know ukip is out of people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    UKIP's manifesto is like a satire on 'project fear' politics.
    Beautiful dystopia material, though.

ReputationRep:
    Good Idea .. I will request one now

ReputationRep:
    Wonderful!

ReputationRep:
    I thought you had to have a certain amount of posts before being allowed into the MHoC Saracen's Fez?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoggyCabbages)
    I thought you had to have a certain amount of posts before being allowed into the MHoC Saracen's Fez?
    Nope, only to vote in an election

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.