Black woman doctor on flight dismissed as passenger chokes

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooFocused)
    - You still can't give any actual evidence for what you believe in. Maybe because its just a belief.
    - It's ironic that you mention confirmation bias, must be your new buzz word when you can't say anything meaningful
    - I stated that you should not play the card, not that you had played it. No need to get all ad hominen.
    I've already explained why im not giving you my points. Let me put it in bold for you.

You jumped into the convo so the burden is wholly on you. If you dont give me the courtesy to state your points then ill return the favour, its as simple as that.

oh, and google the definition of irony

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    I like how you shut up about M.L King. It's good to know when you're beaten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dropoutbear)
    I like how you shut up about M.L King. It's good to know when you're beaten.
    That would only work if I did.

I just had no new material to work with.

(Original post by squish562)
    If they don't like it they can move back to africa
    So racism is accpetable and something people should have to put up with?

ReputationRep:
    That would only work if I did.

I just had no new material to work with.
    You only had out of context material anyway

ReputationRep:
    You only had out of context material anyway
    How is it out of context?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Since you like repetition so much:

Not condemning the people who riot is not the same as condoning rioting.

How is it meaningless?
    Violence does not stop being violence just because it is during a hate and prejudice fuelled riot.

"Man was born into barbarism
    when killing his fellow man
    was a normal condition of existence.
    He became endowed with a conscience.
    And he has now reached the day
    when violence toward another human being
    must become as abhorrent as eating another's flesh."

ReputationRep:
    How is it out of context?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Since you like repetition so much:

Not condemning the people who riot is not the same as condoning rioting.

How is it meaningless?
    Violence does not stop being violence just because it is during a hate and prejudice fuelled riot.

"Man was born into barbarism
    when killing his fellow man
    was a normal condition of existence.
    He became endowed with a conscience.
    And he has now reached the day
    when violence toward another human being
    must become as abhorrent as eating another's flesh."
    It isnt in the context of a riot, where MLK clearly has a change of opinion

So once again, i rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    So racism is accpetable and something people should have to put up with?
    there won't be any racism in their home nations which are black and where white people would be eaten alive. They are treated very well here by us in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt in the context of a riot, where MLK clearly has a change of opinion

So once again, i rest my case.
    Read your own quote, at least try to understand it. He doesn't contradict himself or change his mind.

Have a taste of added context.

"And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

He's saying that riots are an inevitability when plights are ignored and he therefore can't condemn the people that do riot because it is in response to the systematic and wide-spread oppression and abuse they faced, but he still did not condone violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yudothis)
    You are right. A single incidence does not show something is pervasive.

How many "single" incidents would it take, though, to show something is pervasive?
    How many single incidents are there?

ReputationRep:
    Read your own quote, at least try to understand it. He doesn't contradict himself or change his mind.

Have a taste of added context.

"And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard."

He's saying that riots are an inevitability when plights are ignored and he therefore can't condemn the people that do riot because it is in response to the systematic and wide-spread oppression and abuse they faced, but he still did not condone violence.
    So let's get back to what you originally said:

M.L King would be disgusted with the men and women rioting in that video.
    MLK would not be disgusted.

Nice try with that straw man though.

ReputationRep:
    So let's get back to what you originally said:

MLK would not be disgusted.

Nice try with that straw man though.
    Yeah, I think he would have been. Considering the nature of these attacks, the motivations behind these riots and the contextual difference of our time periods.

How did I use a straw-man? You don't even understand the concept of a straw-man fallacy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think he would have been. Considering the motivations behind these riots and the contextual difference of our time periods.

How did I use a straw-man? You don't even understand the concept of a straw-man fallacy.
    "He's saying that riots are an inevitability when plights are ignored and he therefore can't condemn the people that do riot because it is in response to the systematic and wide-spread oppression and abuse they faced"

Your own words, i dont see how it could be so extreme for him to be "disgusted", even disapproved would be far fetched considering, as you said, he wont be able to condemn rioters.

It must hurt to see yourself getting beaten by your own words

ReputationRep:
    "He's saying that riots are an inevitability when plights are ignored and he therefore can't condemn the people that do riot because it is in response to the systematic and wide-spread oppression and abuse they faced"

Your own words, i dont see how it could be so extreme for him to be "disgusted", even disapproved would be far fetched considering, as you said, he wont be able to condemn rioters.

It must hurt to see yourself getting beaten by your own words
    Being 'disgusted with' doesn't equate to condemning someone.
    I may be disgusted by (or disappointed with) someone but it doesn't mean I hate them and can't see where they're coming from.
    To put it this way, given the facts of the situation would he be closer to disgusted or pleased with their actions?

Plus it's not as if I'm going to research every word that came out of his mouth before I make a post like that, just to prove that I'm using the correct description.

ReputationRep:
    I may be disgusted by someone but it doesn't mean I hate them and can't see where they're coming from.
    To put it this way, given the facts of the situation would he be closer to disgusted or pleased with their actions?

Plus it's not as if I'm going to research every word that came out of his mouth before I make a post like that, just to prove that I'm using the correct description.
    I rest my case, this reply has hardly countered what ive said.

But if you condemn something, you could be disgusted by it, it doesnt work the other way around. point proven.

ReputationRep:
    I rest my case, this reply has hardly countered what ive said.

But if you condemn something, you could be disgusted by it, it doesnt work the other way around. point proven.
    And with that comment, your stupidity is more evident now than it ever was. Please, for the love of all that is h0ly, do not use the phrase 'I rest my case' again.

He's already stated he thinks violence should be considered as abhorrent as cannibalism. The quote you brought up does not contradict that.

I'd also like to point out that you can actually be disappointed or disgusted and 'not condemn' someone, like I'm disgusted with your lack of intelligence but I can't condemn you for it, considering the lack of decent education nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MildredMalone)
    How many single incidents are there?
    Far too many.

(Original post by squish562)
    there won't be any racism in their home nations which are black and where white people would be eaten alive. They are treated very well here by us in comparison.
    You are a lot bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    You can't use Americans to judge humanity, they're half-bred.
    The likes of the BBC and the Daily Mail would love us to, though.

ReputationRep:
    That title could have been worded better... I thought the black doctor dismissed the choking passenger!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.