The Student Room Group

How would most Muslims react if a Muslim girl got married to a non-Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HAnwar
Oh YOU look at the Quran and see what's relevant and what's not.
Sorry didn't realise we had a sheikh on TSR.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you renounce your own powers of thinking and deciding what's relevant to your life then that's your own problem I'm afraid.
Original post by Anonymous
You to your Islamic beliefs and to me mine. My marriage is both valid islamically and legally and there's nothing you can do to change that.

We can marry non muslim men and I'm married to one

You are wrong. You cannot and must not marry a non-Muslim man if you want to be Muslim. That's is absolutely not Islamic. There is no "my Islamic belief" and "your Islamic belief"- there is only one Islamic stance on the issue and that is that it is completely sinful to marry a non-Christian.
If you renounce your own powers of thinking and deciding what's relevant to your life then that's your own problem I'm afraid.

Well in order to be a Muslim you are supposed to get your knowledge from the Quran, not from your own head. Your head is not as powerful as God and your views are not important.
Original post by showmethat
You are wrong. You cannot and must not marry a non-Muslim man if you want to be Muslim. That's is absolutely not Islamic. There is no "my Islamic belief" and "your Islamic belief"- there is only one Islamic stance on the issue and that is that it is completely sinful to marry a non-Christian.

No you're wrong. My marriage is valid islamically and legally. Err, honey, yes there is different Islamic beliefs that's why there are loads of different sects in Islam in case you hadn't noticed!

She's still a muslim but yeh this "marriage" isn't islamically recognised.
I know this Muslim woman who got married to a Christian guy. I don't know whether this is accepted by all denominations since neither wanted to convert, they had to go through some stuff with the guy's church and the girl's mosque. They are happy now so yes you can - if your sect accepts it.
Coming from a religious Muslim family who also keeps in very close touch with his Imam (to gain better understanding of Islam), this would be haram. The guy HAS to convert. I would seriously speak to her parents and get it sorted because first of all she has been "dating". Doesn't take long to realise that's haram. The guy has to convert otherwise it could be haram. Just to clarify that means she will be getting punished and possibly in the eyes of Allah doing what is classified as an unforgiving sin.

Tbh, knowing the public, they would gossip the hell out of her. Knowing girls (without sounding sexist) lots of them can be immature (like men). My point is that it could just be an infatuation in the same way that many teenagers have crushes and think they have found love. I highly doubt she is in love seriously. Although if she does istakharah and still and gets others to do it also and the same result, then speak to parents etc and get him to convert. Obviously he won't feel comfortable because of obvious reasons I don't want to state so then move on.

If she really is a good Muslim, she will find someone even better. Allah's rule is you get in what you put in. You put hardwork in you will succeed in exams , otherwise fail. You be a good muslim and person, you will find what you desire in a partner.

Did you just say that this christian man is inferior to a muslim man based solely on that premise?
For me it is valid islamicaly end of and you're not going to change my opinion on that

Are you qualified to make fetwas? if not then what does that make of your opinion regarding this matter? We cannot change religions to suit our interests they wouldn't be religions.

In islam, the reality is that marriage between a muslim and a non-muslim is forbidden but this depends on which school of thought you follow and different clerics within the same school have different opinions on this matter.

Make your choices based on informed opinions. if you are a muslim and interested in marrying a non-muslim, seek consultation from a learned cleric about this issue. Ask around. Go to the biggest clerics in the world. The beautiful thing about our relgion is that our biggest clerics are very accessible. They're obliged to reply to every single person that contacts them for advice.

I am a shia. Before I got married I contact the grand Ayatollah sistani concerning my wanting to marry a christian girl. This was back in Saddam's era....lol it took him 6 months to reply. I still have his letter. Its like getting a letter from a president really...lol I'm very honoured by it. it acted as an informed guide for me in my choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
I look at the Quran holistically and see what is relevant to today's society and what isn't. What's the point in following rules blindly without thinking about them when they might not even concern your personal situation or circumstances (?)

yea exactly its not about disregarding whats written in the quran but rather understanding what is written and why and so how best to practice it.
Exactly, preach it brother. Islam is a religion that must be adapted to the times you live in.

.... I'm a girl :/
Original post by CookieButter
Are you qualified to make fetwas? if not then what does that make of your opinion regarding this matter? We cannot change religions to suit our interests they wouldn't be religions.

In islam, the reality is that marriage between a muslim and a non-muslim is forbidden but this depends on which school of thought you follow and different clerics within the same school have different opinions on this matter.

Make your choices based on informed opinions. if you are a muslim and interested in marrying a non-muslim, seek consultation from a learned cleric about this issue. Ask around. Go to the biggest clerics in the world. The beautiful thing about our relgion is that our biggest clerics are very accessible. They're obliged to reply to every single person that contacts them for advice.

I am a shia. Before I got married I contact the grand Ayatollah sistani concerning my wanting to marry a christian girl. This was back in Saddam's era....lol it took him 6 months to reply. I still have his letter. Its like getting a letter from a president really...lol I'm very honoured by it. it acted as an informed guide for me in my choices.

My opinion on this is all that matters. I am not looking to marry a non Muslim because I'm already married to one and the marriage is valid both isoamically and legally.
My opinion on this is all that matters. I am not looking to marry a non Muslim because I'm already married to one and the marriage is valid both isoamically and legally.

Out of interest, do you have children?

What do they follow?

What do they follow?

No as we're still relatively young, I'm 26 and my husband is 24. We're planning to start having soon but haven't really discussed how they'll be brought up religion-wise yet !

What do they follow?

I dont have any children. If I did they'd be raised the same way I was in an open minded environment that revolves around educating the children and allowing them to make informed choices. My parents gave me the tools i needed to make informed choices foremost of which was not accepting everything without question as in critical thinking. My parents didn't raise me to be a muslim. I chose to be one and if i had children I'd like them to be raised the same way. My wife is a practicing christian and she is accepting of that. Now, that is the theoretical side of it. Putting this into practice is a completely different story...lol

Its not easy marrying a person who believes in a different way of thinking. People marry others that are like them. I mean, have you ever asked a man or woman why they married their partner and have them say because he's different to me in every way? lol it doesnt happen. People are attracted to others that are agreeable with their way of thinking. People are attracted to like minded people. Its our way of making things work. Its very hard to get married to a person from a different relgion if both of you take the issue of relgion seriously that's why it doesn't happen often and when it does both parties need to be open minded and willing to make concessions in order to make things work.

what do you think about this issue? how would you raise your children?
(edited 7 years ago)
Pissed off

What people say (This post) and what people do are two completely different things. I live in Birmingham with a big Muslim community and when a Girl has married a non-Muslim man they are looked heavily down upon and the girl will never be accepted as Muslim due to the religious rules it breaks. The relationship with her family will also be terrible for the girl as she will never be fully accepted.

This is why I gave up religion its too controlling yet its followers will try and hide that and defend it.

PS: Posted this anonymously as the backlash I would get would be ridiculous also will not reply to any replies.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
For the marriage to be halal, the non-muslim partner must convert to Islam. There's nothing more or nothing les to it. The girl would be committing a massive sin if she was to marry a Christian.

For the sake of Love just marry him.
Original post by Bulletzone
For the sake of Love just marry him.

No thanks? I am only going to marry a Muslim.
No thanks? I am only going to marry a Muslim.

Is that exclusively because of the teaching within your holy text, or are there personal reasons too? (just wondering, it helps to me to understand why people think the things they do :smile:)
Original post by _gcx
Is that exclusively because of the teaching within your holy text, or are there personal reasons too? (just wondering, it helps to me to understand why people think the things they do :smile:)

Both.
Both.

Don't you find it sexist and unfair, say if your brother fell inlove with a Christian woman he would be OK to marry her but if you fell in love with Cheistian man, you wouldnt be allowed to marry him? Isn't this just a way to control women?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending