Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    I totally believe Love exists. There's no doubt about it. I kinda prefer the more spiritual view of it tho rather than just see it as a fact of life from a scientific point of view (eg in psych)...

People are able to fall in love and devote their lives to each other, can't they? -Despite the somewhat contradictary evolutionary view that males are just oversexed beings who try and sleep with half the female population! People stay faithful becoz of love. And it's something u feel... u can't just switch it on and off like a lightswitch...

I'd say its more than just an emotion tho...I can't explain why. The real thing is for always... i totally believe that.
    (and don't say i'm naive and shatter my dreams)

lol. i'm somewhat biased tho... i strongly believe i soulmates... that there is one person in this world who is our ultimate destiny who we will love and will love us back forever...
    How old are you? How many relationships like you describe have you had?

ReputationRep:
    The start of courtly love and the creation of the romantic ideal began in the 11th Century. In Southern France, noblemen developed a completely new set of love concepts from which a unique man/woman relationship arose that was previously unknown to Western civilization.

http://www.neo-tech.com/history/

that website is hilarious but hey, not sure if it's true.

but if it is true then love was created by man XD.

love does not exist in physical form, ie it has no atoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    Sighs...

You know for a fleeting moment there, I was actually going to consider the rationality of your argument, but with that statement alone you've shown me a lack of appreciation of the simplicity of the systems you are so eager to deem complex and unique.

Choice is an illusion. You are suggesting the inability to predict a system as evidence of the presence of an illogical fallicy, choice.
    While the physical structure of the brain is rather simple, I do not agree that the functions of the human brain in action are by any means simple. Choice is not an illusion; each human is the summation of his/her experiences throughout life. These experiences stored in the brain form unique personalities and eccentricities, thus giving birth to a conscious being who is free to make choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    While the physical structure of the brain is rather simple, I do not agree that the functions of the human brain in action are by any means simple. Choice is not an illusion; each human is the summation of his/her experiences throughout life. These experiences stored in the brain form unique personalities and eccentricities, thus giving birth to a conscious being who is free to make choices.
    no one is free to make their own choices as you already said each human is the summation of his/her experiences which means everyone influences everyone's choice in effect we aren't free to make their own choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by operato)
    no one is free to make their own choices as you already said each human is the summation of his/her experiences which means everyone influences everyone's choice in effect we aren't free to make their own choices.
    That makes sense....... if the world was made up of nothing but people. When I say summation of experiences I mean everything, from burning yourself on the cooker as a toddler, to the dog you owned when you were 5, to the weather. These, and millions of other insignificant experiences pool together to form a rushing river of personality.

Think of a baby as a blank disk loaded with the basic biological food, safety program, but as it grows up its program is added to millions of times to form a kind of personality database. It is this database that we recognise as a conscious person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    That makes sense....... if the world was made up of nothing but people. When I say summation of experiences I mean everything, from burning yourself on the cooker as a toddler, to the dog you owned when you were 5, to the weather. These, and millions of other insignificant experiences pool together to form a rushing river of personality.

Think of a baby as a blank disk loaded with the basic biological food, safety program, but as it grows up its program is added to millions of times to form a kind of personality database. It is this database that we recognise as a conscious person.
    I agree with that. However, I deem that such variabilities summate to allow the individual to act in a manner unpredictable to other beings, if only because of their lack of awareness of the large multitude of interacting variables causing behaviour. I do not deem this constitutes choice, nor that it could even come anywhere near constituting what is an illogical concept.

ReputationRep:
    Then we agree to disagree

(BTW love does exist)

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?
    Lol... So ur gonna say i'm young and naive, right? *rolls eyes*

i'm 18.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    I've always maintained that this sentiment called 'love' is over-glorified, and possibly very transient. I came across a worrying piece by Schopenhauer in some dusty old philiosphy book, saying something along the lines of...

Love is simply the expression of a species' need to reproduce.

This is quite plausible actually. I mean, Plato valued a sort of filial ('platonic') love between parents and children. But even parents taking care of their children....isn't that just an investment in their own genetic future? After all, we very rarely see parents so concerned about somebody else's children.

And so what is 'love' ?:something we 'think' we feel that transcends simple lust, or is it really an everlasting phenomenon that carries on even after the people who feel it have long since died? :confused:

Affection atraction and friendship are all very complicated mental high level phenomena making a low level definition rather impossible. Undoubtly reproduction does play a role in determining our behaviour towards others, but it is way more complicated than assuming that people fall in love because it helps them reproduce.

A mental state such a s "love" is almost always an interaction between a large number of other mental phenomena physical atraction, friendship , similarities , differences , reason and all sorts of emotions affect whether an individual experiences love and determines the nature of it.

Having said this there are a number of hormones which does play an important role when a person falls in love (Among them serotonin and dopamin, the hormons which causes a person to feel well). However, this does not mean that love is a simple matter of hormons. The creation, absorbation and degeneration of these hormones is extremely complicated.

You can compare emotions to the whether. Although you know in general that high temperature causes high pressure and that rain is caused by water condensing in the athmosphere. Understanding the high level behaviour of the whether is EXTREMELY difficult. In a similar way a few rather basic components in our brains are responsible for our mental activity, and we can understand how these components (hormones, nerve cells, synapses etc) work. Understanding the results of these component interactions is an entirely different matter though.

To understand the working of a brain from the workings of the nerve cells and hormones is a bit like trying to grasp the meaning of novel by looking at each individual letter. The difference is that understanding the mind is much more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    love? what you are saying is just another way of selection for the perfect mate to be with.
    So? Sure, love isn't some magical power or an independent force in the unvierse, as some claim it is (a very christian concept, supported by a lot of popular culture). It's just an emotion like anger, fear, relief, or hope. They all originate from evolutionary adaptations, but they still exist, love as much as any other.

Arguments aginst free will don't apply to emotions like love, as nobody disputes the experience of free will - it is the inference from the experience to a faculty for making actual undetermined choices that is open to attack. As love is an experience, no inference is made from the experience of it to its existence - it exists in the fact that we experience it. To use philosophical language (because I can be a showy git sometimes) its esse est percipi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    So? Sure, love isn't some magical power or an independent force in the unvierse, as some claim it is (a very christian concept, supported by a lot of popular culture). It's just an emotion like anger, fear, relief, or hope. They all originate from evolutionary adaptations, but they still exist, love as much as any other.
    well... it's only an emotion but what people make love out to be is quite ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    well... it's only an emotion but what people make love out to be is quite ridiculous
    I don't see love as an emotion though...it's not comparable with anger, happiness, sadness, jealousy, as these can only carry on for a very short amount of time, compared to how long people expect love to continue. It always amazes me how many otherwise intelligent people go completely barmy over this strange concept called "love". It's a risky business!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferPowers)
    I'm quite sceptical of the word 'love'. I do think people are too idealistic about it, and to some degree people are naive. But then again, it's only an emotion, just like when someone is happy or sad.
    Currently I'm with someone who I think I love, but I'm not very good at opening up about this sort of stuff. For the past 18 years I've observed all the members of my family 'in love'...and I conclude that it's not such a positive thing, and I expect the worst out of my current situation...I feel like I have a lot to lose now.
    Not that I'm making much sense.
    I can ensure you that you are much better off if you feel you have a lot to lose than if you feel you have nothing left to lose. Having a lot to lose is a good thing, and merely because you could lose it, it doesnt mean you will. Its completely normal to worry a bit, just dont let it stop you from having a good time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I don't see love as an emotion though...it's not comparable with anger, happiness, sadness, jealousy, as these can only carry on for a very short amount of time, compared to how long people expect love to continue. It always amazes me how many otherwise intelligent people go completely barmy over this strange concept called "love". It's a risky business!
    But could a person not be overall "happy" with his/her life for a relatively long time? Id say that emotions can be more or less long lived. Love is perhaps more like a collection of emotions though. I mean, you feel happy although you worry about doing things rights at the same time. Perhaps you could say that emotions are the building blocks of love?

ReputationRep:
    I can agree that its an emotion, I have some difficulties with the word "only" in front of it however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *skye*)
    Lol... So ur gonna say i'm young and naive, right? *rolls eyes*

i'm 18.
    Naa, didn't think you were naive - just idealistic. The answer to the second question would have been more meaningful than the first, but I didn't really anticipate that being answered.

Point is, the situation you described is seldom represented in real life in what people typically call loving relationships. I doubt you've experienced such things yourself, but it certainly is a nice, comforting idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferPowers)
    I'm quite sceptical of the word 'love'. I do think people are too idealistic about it, and to some degree people are naive. But then again, it's only an emotion, just like when someone is happy or sad.
    Currently I'm with someone who I think I love, but I'm not very good at opening up about this sort of stuff. For the past 18 years I've observed all the members of my family 'in love'...and I conclude that it's not such a positive thing, and I expect the worst out of my current situation...I feel like I have a lot to lose now.
    Not that I'm making much sense.
    Makes sense to me. It seems the best part of being 'in love' is at the start, when everything feels new and pleasurable.

The subsequent accostumation results in the weekly rows parents seem to involve themself in. Superficially, it would seem a far-fetched concept that the two situations are actually expressions of the same emotion.

Or maybe it doesn't always end like that. I'd like to that proved wrong though .

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense to me. It seems the best part of being 'in love' is at the start, when everything feels new and pleasurable.

The subsequent accostumation results in the weekly rows parents seem to involve themself in. Superficially, it would seem a far-fetched concept that the two situations are actually expressions of the same emotion.

Or maybe it doesn't always end like that. I'd like to that proved wrong though .
    I know how you feel In my experience, love ends almost invariably with pain...even when the other person loves you back it can be painful. I'm not sure whether it exists or not, but sometimes I actually think I'd prefer it if it didn't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah101)
    I know how you feel In my experience, love ends almost invariably with pain...even when the other person loves you back it can be painful. I'm not sure whether it exists or not, but sometimes I actually think I'd prefer it if it didn't!
    An unfortunate quagmire for an indecisive mind - is it worth it if it is so superficial and temporary?

ReputationRep:
    An unfortunate quagmire for an indecisive mind - is it worth it if it is so superficial and temporary?
    Most of my friends who claim they are in love spend more time moaning about it than anything else! I also know that I'm happier now than I was in the distant past when I thought I was in love (and loved in return). There's no doubt about it though, there's nothing more cutting than "well, I never loved you anyway!"

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.