The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

lucky_number_8: If you wont re-post the question, please tell us why? It's so frustrating finally getting to grips with a question then it being taken away :frown:

Lol, you can tell I've been intellectually deprived since I finished my exams.
Chill yeah, i finding the question and retyping it. I will post it again in a minute. In the mean time why not try the last one about Pooh bear.
Reply 62
a) 6

b) 197 for pooh and rabbit and 12 for eeyore

c) There is only one meadow. Clearly the optimal number is 6 hives in the meadow, as if 7 hives are present the 7th hive will produce one pot and for it two pots will be paid to Eeyore, leaving the owner with -1 pot. However, if pooh erects the first three hives his yield will be 130 pots leaving rabbit to erect hives 4, 5, 6 yielding him just 67 pots. Therefore it depends on who plants which pots.

The way I first read this question was that as a new hive was erected the yield for all hives would decrease using the formula, as this makes more sense. They key would then be to co-operate to avert a 'tragedy of the commons' situation, with the optimal number being 4 hives in total. However if the yield from hive 1 will be unaffected by the erection of hive 2 then it is a different scenario.
8 Lucky number
Chill yeah, i finding the question and retyping it. I will post it again in a minute. In the mean time why not try the last one about Pooh bear.

Ooh, thanks.

Sorry, my boredom is manifesting itself in a bad way...
Reply 64
deianra
Did you manage to get other E&M specimen papers apart from the one given online? If so, how? :smile:

He said in the first post that he is using a Getting into Oxbridge for Social Sciences guide which has all these questions in it.
Four students are all keen games players, with football, tennis, cricket and hockey all among their interests. Each of them plays only two of these sports and there is only one sport which is played by more than two of them. No one plays both football and tennis. Rachel and Peter have no games in common, though each has a sport shared with Jemima, who is not a cricketer. Rachel,a keen tennis player, has the occasional sporting encounter with William, who does not play tennis. Jemima, Peter and William have no game in common. Which two sports does each student play.

Sorry for deleting it the first time ppl, i didn't want to waste everyones time getting them to attempt a question which doesn't seem to have an answer. You are welcome to try and find a solution if thats what you want to do.
Yeah these questions are from "getting into oxfrd guide". It's a pretty gud book, and has about 30 questions in total. You don't think that i am breaking any copyright laws by posting them on here do you, because i wouldn't want to upset anyone. However the author of the book does say, get help with the question by sharing them with firends. What do you think?
Amrad
a) 6

b) 197 for pooh and rabbit and 12 for eeyore

I agree - though to be pedantic Pooh would get 98.5 pots and so would Rabbit :tongue:
Reply 68
8 Lucky number
Yeah these questions are from "getting into oxfrd guide". It's a pretty gud book, and has about 30 questions in total. You don't think that i am breaking any copyright laws by posting them on here do you, because i wouldn't want to upset anyone. However the author of the book does say, get help with the question by sharing them with firends. What do you think?

I think you're sharing them with friends. :smile: None of us are making any money from it.
Is the book just full of logic problems?
8 Lucky number
Four students are all keen games players, with football, tennis, cricket and hockey all among their interests. Each of them plays only two of these sports and there is only one sport which is played by more than two of them. No one plays both football and tennis. Rachel and Peter have no games in common, though each has a sport shared with Jemima, who is not a cricketer. Rachel,a keen tennis player, has the occasional sporting encounter with William, who does not play tennis. Jemima, Peter and William have no game in common. Which two sports does each student play.

Ignoring the sentence which says "only one sport is played by more than two of them", I have a solution:

Tennis - Rachel and Jemima
Hockey - Peter and Jemima
Cricket - William and Rachel
Football - William and Peter
Reply 70
The sports one

Rachel - Tennis and Hockey
Peter - Football and Cricket
Jemima - Football and Hockey
William - Hockey and Cricket
Have do you get 197 pots for Pooh and Rabbit?
My answer was derived as follows:

50-(1*1)=49
50-(2*2)=46
50-(3*3)=41
50-(4*4)=34
50-(5*5)=25
50-(6*6)=14

49+46+41+34+25+14=209

Therefore the answer is 209 for pooh and rabbit and 12 for Eeyore.
is my method incorrect?
Amrad
The sports one

sorry that was wrong...

What flaws are there? I'm thinking that perhaps one of the sports is played by three people, and another is played by only one - that would satify the question better.
Reply 73
8 Lucky number

50-(1*1)=49
50-(2*2)=46
50-(3*3)=41
50-(4*4)=34
50-(5*5)=25
50-(6*6)=14

49+46+41+34+25+14=209

is my method incorrect?

207 is the correct total yield, but after the 12 given to eeyore pooh and rabbit are left with 197 between them
8 Lucky number

50-(1*1)=49
50-(2*2)=46
50-(3*3)=41
50-(4*4)=34
50-(5*5)=25
50-(6*6)=14

49+46+41+34+25+14=209

is my method incorrect?

Remember to subtract the cost of getting Eyeore to build the hives. 209 - 12 = 197.
Of course, just me being stupid. What about part (c), i guess that this is the tricky bit as there isn't really a right or wrong answer. Does anyone else have any questions like this or is it just me? If so post them
Reply 76
deianra
Is it just me or are the above contradictory?

I think my solution satisfies both. The first statment means that one game is shared between Jemima and Peter and one between Jemima and Rachel. The second statement means that no game is shared by all three Peter, Jemima, William - they do not ALL play the single sport that is played by more than two people.
Amrad
I think my solution satisfies both. The first statment means that one game is shared between Jemima and Peter and one between Jemima and Rachel. The second statement means that no game is shared by all three Peter, Jemima, William - they do not ALL play the single sport that is played by more than two people.

Well, my solution is the same as yours (woo yay!) but I'm still puzzling over that last sentence.

"Jemima, Peter and William have no game in common" seems to suggest that all three of them cannot share any game - for me, Rachel/William share Hockey and Peter/William share cricket. Meh :frown:

Anyway, if you take that sentence to mean all three of them do not play the same game, it's fine as the 2+ game is Hockey.
Amrad
The sports one

Rachel - Tennis and Hockey
Peter - Football and Cricket
Jemima - Football and Hockey
William - Hockey and Cricket

Well done :smile:
Reply 79
Yep, we all puzzled over that as you can see but looks like it is solved now.

Anyone have further thoughts on part c) of the honey question. As eeyore is crafting the hives and both pooh and rabbit are desperate to get their hands on the hives the situation could eventuate in pooh/rabbit offering eeyore more pots of honey to craft hives for them first...