Turn on thread page Beta

I voted Brexit AMA. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    Yes def. if there was a vote to dissolve the commonwealth, id be at that polling station like a rat up a drainpipe
    That will never happen. Britain has every reason in the world to maintain the commonwealth. We have military bases, trade deals, skilled workers and global influence all from maintaining strong relationships with countries like Canada, India, Australia & NZ. You would be willing to potentially throw all that away to reduce immigration?

ReputationRep:
    Britain cutting off the countries they used to colonise? Like that would help them get trade deals innit.

ReputationRep:
    OK why? Because it's about the preservation of our culture, thus subsequently, our country, which has been diluted by too much immigration. You can give me the figures of Net Migration and those that come as opposed to those that leave but ultimately with our welfare state and subsidised/free healthcare, beautiful women, just the British way of life really, not to mention what I call "quintessential British culture", we have to protect that, unfortunately everyone wants a slice of it, also unfortunately, we're an already over-crowded small island nation, so we can't accomodate the 7 billion inhabitants of the world. Also with so many races and religons and languages coming together I have started to feel alien in "my own" country, I'm very proud to be British. I just feel that, and I'm sure I'm not alone, (in fact I know I'm not, as there were circa 17.5m people who voted Brexit), that something has to be done, if there was a vote to leave the Commonwealth I'd be voting leave too.
    A) So you think our culture is more important than our economy?
    B) The NHS actually charges migrants for its services if they are temporary migrants, i.e. people working here temporarily, or planning to move on within a few years. Permanent migrants can actually be good for the economy because they become tax payers. https://www.ein.org.uk/news/nhs-char...ced-next-month
    C)Fun fact, we're not actually that overcrowded. Our cities are, yes, because we as humans tend to flock together into communities, but actually, population growth is exponential, it's called natural increase and it happens when birth rate is higher than deathrate. Very few countries currently have decreasing populations (Germany and Japan for example). You simply cannot purely blame our increasing population on immigration (although I'm not saying it doesn't contribute). Here's a few facts that may shed some light. http://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/p...rowded-islandq
    D) Many British born people are not English first language. Yknow that place next to England called Wales? Yeah? They have their own commonly used language - Welsh. I live in Wales, and although Welsh is not my first language, I know people who are first language Welsh and have British heritage going back to the 1200s. The fact that you don't know what they're saying does not mean they do not have the right to be in our country. Also, why do you care what they're saying? If they want to have a conversation in the way they feel most comfortable how is that harming you?
    D) We started the commonwealth? It was literally us invading a load of countries and saying that they were ours??? We are part of the commonwealth because of our own ridiculous greed regaring invading other countries. Do you realise how ridiculous it sounds saying we want to leave our own birthday party???

Okey dokey that's my fingers tired from typing. Tbh, the entire brexit election was ridiculous. It was based on lies and misinformation from both sides. It's ridiculous. Anyway have a nice liiife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    The obvious question is why?

The government seems committed to negotiating for as little change as possible, which I agree with. IMO, the major achievement of Brexit will be a recession. I also get the impression that the leave campaign gave lots of different changes that would occur if we leave, few of which will actually.
    this is why I voted Brexit look what happened in the last recession
    (gold price rose by 300% over as many years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redacrylic)
    A) So you think our culture is more important than our economy?
    B) The NHS actually charges migrants for its services if they are temporary migrants, i.e. people working here temporarily, or planning to move on within a few years. Permanent migrants can actually be good for the economy because they become tax payers. https://www.ein.org.uk/news/nhs-char...ced-next-month
    C)Fun fact, we're not actually that overcrowded. Our cities are, yes, because we as humans tend to flock together into communities, but actually, population growth is exponential, it's called natural increase and it happens when birth rate is higher than deathrate. Very few countries currently have decreasing populations (Germany and Japan for example). You simply cannot purely blame our increasing population on immigration (although I'm not saying it doesn't contribute). Here's a few facts that may shed some light. http://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/p...rowded-islandq
    D) Many British born people are not English first language. Yknow that place next to England called Wales? Yeah? They have their own commonly used language - Welsh. I live in Wales, and although Welsh is not my first language, I know people who are first language Welsh and have British heritage going back to the 1200s. The fact that you don't know what they're saying does not mean they do not have the right to be in our country. Also, why do you care what they're saying? If they want to have a conversation in the way they feel most comfortable how is that harming you?
    D) We started the commonwealth? It was literally us invading a load of countries and saying that they were ours??? We are part of the commonwealth because of our own ridiculous greed regaring invading other countries. Do you realise how ridiculous it sounds saying we want to leave our own birthday party???

Okey dokey that's my fingers tired from typing. Tbh, the entire brexit election was ridiculous. It was based on lies and misinformation from both sides. It's ridiculous. Anyway have a nice liiife.
    Right, where to start- overcrowding- its in the towns and cities yes and it will get worse until we limit the extra people, not only is there chronic housing issues, but take my city as an example, cities are growing bigger by area in order to accomodate, now people have said well just build more houses, and make cities even more populous, potentially destroying our beautiful countryside? I say just limit migration, less people = less demand. Re the commonwealth, im not dumb, i "know" we literally are the commonwealth, i dont just want out because of migration from africa et al although it plays its part, i actually think it a throwback to colonialism and the slave trade and all the other negative empicirial aspects of our history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Britain cutting off the countries they used to colonise? Like that would help them get trade deals innit.
    Transactions are two-way, Britain's cash is just as important to places facing extreme deprevation, its an invaluable asset should putin trigger WW3, I could go on and on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    That will never happen. Britain has every reason in the world to maintain the commonwealth. We have military bases, trade deals, skilled workers and global influence all from maintaining strong relationships with countries like Canada, India, Australia & NZ. You would be willing to potentially throw all that away to reduce immigration?
    Ok, no but id like us to be a lot less on
    obligated in taking so many in for so many reasons

ReputationRep:
    I think it would need to do something, you cant just create more jobs out of thin air or build more housing because theres a shortage due in large to more people ergo higher demand, what about green belt land? Cities are already sprawling out of control due to overcrowing due to, again, too many new people, surely just cap migration??
    What about building up? Other countries have survived just fine with a much higher population density - maybe we could take lessons from them. The job market is a complex situation, involving a lot more than just immigration - you have to take factors like changing technology, and China, India etc as well as a competitive job market into account. Perhaps if we improved the education system...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    Gold is an international commodity. Economic conditions, mostly limited to a single country, won't change its price in anything but sterling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redacrylic)
    The fact that you don't know what they're saying does not mean they do not have the right to be in our country. Also, why do you care what they're saying? If they want to have a conversation in the way they feel most comfortable how is that harming you?
    This reminded me of this incident in the US, where a woman raised concerns that a maths professor was a terrorist, as his differential equations looked foreign. Too many intellectually challenged people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    What about building up? Other countries have survived just fine with a much higher population density - maybe we could take lessons from them. The job market is a complex situation, involving a lot more than just immigration - you have to take factors like changing technology, and China, India etc as well as a competitive job market into account. Perhaps if we improved the education system...
    I did say that in the original post before my phone decided to lose the post, changing technology is killing tertiary blue collar industries and blue chip jobs require highly skilled employees, we already have one of the best education systems in the world, it just seems that youre looking for every which reason to accomodate newcomers, cant we just first focus on the vulnerable and disenfranchised British??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Gold is an international commodity. Economic conditions, mostly limited to a single country, won't change its price in anything but sterling.
    well it bought me a pair of Rolexes and a Mercedes so I made the right choice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's what it's about it's about liberation. Switzerland afaik (feel free to correct me!) isn't an EU nation and has one of the highest GDPs in Europe so I don't see how it will have that many negative economical connotations.
    Switzerland is doing well.
    Switzerland is not in the EU.

:hmmmm:

Oh I see, Switzerland must be doing so well because they are not in the EU.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    But the Swiss are in the European single market and therefore have loads of migrants (you see it in their football team lol)
    Wrong.

What you see in their national team is a result of letting in refugees from the Balkan war in the 90s. Hence why what you see in the Nati is Albanians and Kosovorians.

You are right though that their workforce is vastly foreign.

ReputationRep:

Tongue in cheek in part, but come on British women are amongst the best in the world.
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Have you even traveled the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    Too many people are blaming the EU for the failures of consecutive Tory and Labour governments. Why do so many people want to come to the UK and not Germany, France, or Italy? I'll admit that part of the reason why must be, that we are an English speaking country, (and English is the Lingua Franca of the 21st century). But that's clearly not the only reason. Serious questions have to be asked about our welfare system and what makes so many people want to come here.

Casting your vote for brexit based solely on the premise that immigration might be reduced is foolish. The government still clearly wants us to be part of the European Single Market, and that almost certainly means accepting free movement of people from the EU in one form or another - I don't think there's any escaping that. (Unless you want a hard brexit and want to turn your back on the wealthiest group of countries on Earth, which seems silly to me.)

Overall, I don't think brexit will change much at all. We'll still almost certainly be a) in the single market and b) accepting free movement of people. This whole process seems rather pointless if you ask me.
    Actually, English is far and throughout the main reason. Next would probably be students and the reputation of the universities (and of course English here, too). All of these things are legacy and central Europe is catching up at least in the second area.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't that a global recession and gold prices are determined globally?

ReputationRep:
    I did say that in the original post before my phone decided to lose the post, changing technology is killing tertiary blue collar industries and blue chip jobs require highly skilled employees, we already have one of the best education systems in the world, it just seems that youre looking for every which reason to accomodate newcomers, cant we just first focus on the vulnerable and disenfranchised British??
    Um, we may have some of the best Universities in the world, but that doesn't mean that we have brilliant education in schools; a lot of things are based off box-ticking, which won't help when it comes to job-hunting, especially if you want to try abroad. What about the fact that, if immigrants are taking British jobs, it may mean that they are better qualified?
    As for focussing on the vulnerable... I believe we are doing just that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Um, we may have some of the best Universities in the world, but that doesn't mean that we have brilliant education in schools; a lot of things are based off box-ticking, which won't help when it comes to job-hunting, especially if you want to try abroad. What about the fact that, if immigrants are taking British jobs, it may mean that they are better qualified?
    As for focussing on the vulnerable... I believe we are doing just that
    Phone wont post will reply when on pc

ReputationRep:
    well it bought me a pair of Rolexes and a Mercedes so I made the right choice
    Good for you m8

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.