The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Excellent.

(referring to mobbdeeprobb's post)
Reply 61
mobbdeeprob
I feel that a lot of black males, especially British-born, are caught in a 'cultural No Man's Land' - trying desperately to forge a sense of identity, in a society which is overly hostile towards them. This, in my view, has spurred the evolution of a counter-culture - which pays little attention to social mores and, crucially, the views of the older generation. And all the while, this is taking place in a society which is overly hostile towards blacks and black achievement

VERY well put. Black people often marginalized by society for various reasons (stop and search being one).

However, with the growing public hostility towards young Asian men born out of the ignorance of the Muslim faith, terrorism etc.. it will be interesting to see how this racial group copes with such sentiments.
Biggles
No, it's an afflication on us, not on them.

And take a look at America and Africa. Total failure.

My comments were largely steered towards the black Caribbean experience - in the Caribbean. Educational failure (and a culture of underachievement) simply isn't characteristic of Barbados and certain other Caribbean societies.

When you consider that, compared to the UK, the Barbadian education system is funded on a shoestring - it does away with all these myths about black culture being irreceptive of education.
mobbdeeprob
My comments were largely steered towards the black Caribbean experience - in the Caribbean. Educational failure (and a culture of underachievement) simply isn't characteristic of Barbados and certain other Caribbean societies.

When you consider that, compared to the UK, the Barbadian education system is funded on a shoestring - it does away with all these myths about black culture being irreceptive of education.

Calm down mobbdeprob. You are such an easy target for the likes of Biggles. CHill out and accept that some people are wind up merchants.

I just spent 6 weeks in Barbados, lovely people.
mobbdeeprob
In my view this accounts for the fact that Jamaicans currently contribute 35% of the British prison population.

Is there a link to that stat? It's incredible. And the statistic that there are more blacks in prison than at university, is that of age 18-21?
Joey_Johns
Calm down mobbdeprob. You are such an easy target for the likes of Biggles. CHill out and accept that some people are wind up merchants.

You've changed your tune!
Dajo123
VERY well put. Black people often marginalized by society for various reasons (stop and search being one).

However, with the growing public hostility towards young Asian men born out of the ignorance of the Muslim faith, terrorism etc.. it will be interesting to see how this racial group copes with such sentiments.

Yes, but I don't feel that recent events [carried out by a handful of Moslem fundamentalists] will do that much to dent populist belief that several Asians are capable Doctors, Accountants, Dentists - whilst blacks (largely Afro-Caribbeans) are regarded as serial underachievers - unless you put them on the sportsfield, the television, the stage etc.

A skim through the papers often reveals such figures as Lakshmi Mittal, The Hinduja Brothers, Al Fayed - all succesful Capitalists. How many prominent blacks receive the same exposure? Answer - few, as I won't count entertainers.
Jools
You've changed your tune!

In what way?
Joey_Johns

Indeed. It's a wonderful place - where did you stay?
Joey_Johns
In what way?

Well not a direct change of tune, just a different tone to this classic thread.
mobbdeeprob
Yes, but I don't feel that recent events [carried out by a handful of Moslem fundamentalists] will do that much to dent populist belief that several Asians are capable Doctors, Accountants, Dentists - whilst blacks (largely Afro-Caribbeans) are regarded as serial underachievers - unless you put them on the sportsfield, the television, the stage etc.

A skim through the papers often reveals such figures as Lakshmi Mittal, The Hinduja Brothers, Al Fayed - all succesful Capitalists. How many prominent blacks receive the same exposure? Answer - few, as I won't count entertainers.

Again this gives the idea of two very different 'groups' of Asians, both with sizeable populations. The 'Islamic terrorist' brush is more likely to be branded with the inner city "young, angry Muslims from Algeria to Afghanistan" (~Gnostic) than the ambitious careerists. Whereas for blacks as you say they're often all tarnished with the "serial underachievers" brush.
mobbdeeprob
Indeed. It's a wonderful place - where did you stay?

Just outside St James but we were sailing a lot of the time too.
Jools
Well not a direct change of tune, just a different tone to this classic thread.

Not really, my opinions haven't changed, but we don't want to get into that again.

Rather ironic anyway Jools, you yourself have made great strides since the days of BBC wanabee :biggrin: I love the 'LA' look avater you now sport. Must be OXford :tongue:
Joey_Johns

Busy converting the local heathen to the pearly delights of Rome, my papist friend?
Biggles
Busy converting the local heathen to the pearly delights of Rome, my papist friend?

Nah, my girlfriend was with me, I had to behave myself.
Joey_Johns

It sounds as though you has an amazing time - St James has the best beaches and the best hotels, the Royal Westmorland estate isn't bad either.
Joey_Johns
Nah, my girlfriend was with me, I had to behave myself.

Yes, I bet you thought that it was a pity you couldn't take your local priest with you - all that sun, sea, and molesting children...
mobbdeeprob
It sounds as though you has an amazing time - St James has the best beaches and the best hotels, the Royal Westmorland estate isn't bad either.

Compliments to the quality of the sea food too.
mobbdeeprob

I don’t know why we gave the Caribbean islands to the blacks - after the good old days of slavery we should've sent them back to Africa and settled in those paradise islands ourselves.

Perhaps when I'm PM I'll send a gunboat to the area to rectify the situation.
Biggles
Yes, I bet you thought that it was a pity you couldn't take your local priest with you - all that sun, sea, and molesting children...

Yah, Father Power SJ was raring to go after he heard the prices the young 'uns charge per night.

Latest

Trending

Trending