Turn on thread page Beta

Would you vote for a Muslim Prime Minister? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote a Muslim for Prime Minister?
    Yes
    58.16%
    No
    41.84%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    If their name was Maajid Nawaaz then yes, if not then probably not.
    Is that the guy who coined the phrase regressive left?

ReputationRep:
    If they were genuinely passionate about making the UK better and all then yes. However, if they brought religion into politics and they were extreme religiously then I'd rather have a Pastafarian PM.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its a nonsensical question OP as you have already said.
    "Would you vote for a party led by a Muslim?"

And

"Would you be happy to see a Muslim become PM?"

Are not nonsensical Qs though, it's just a matter of wording.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    If they were genuinely passionate about making the UK better and all then yes. However, if they brought religion into politics and they were extreme religiously then I'd rather have a Pastafarian PM.
    Could say the same about any other religion of course. I would not want an evangelical Christian Prime Minister. It was not so long ago that this country banned abortion, homosexuality and allowed rape within marriage. No PM should bring religion into politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick6565)
    As the official religion of the UK is Christianity i can't see it working that well tbh
    official religion is CofE yet we've had numerous Catholic and presumably Atheist PMs... where are u drawing the line?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The fact that some people would vote against their political beliefs on the sole basis of a single person being a Muslim, as if somehow being Muslim made someone unfit or incompetent or somehow a lesser person than all the past leaders this country has is absolutely disgusting. You should be ashamed. I say that as a secularist who demands that all political leaders keep their faith separate from their politics. David 'Christian Country' Cameron included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Is that the guy who coined the phrase regressive left?
    Yeah I think he and Sam Harris did.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a deal-breaker for me, if I found his/her views and plans were better than his/her opponents then I might.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't vote for any deeply religious politician of any religion regardless of whether they're Catholic, Anglican, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu etc.
    I absolutely think religion has no real place in politics anymore. Politicians who are mildly religious I don't really have an issue as long as it doesn't particularly affect their policies .

ReputationRep:
    The most crucial and important thing that the people of this country need right now and for future democratic security is to have their sovereignty, independence and freedom. Anyone who does not support this whether muslim or not, is not suitable for the job.

ReputationRep:
    I do not get why someone can say they wouldn't vote for a certain party simply because they're lead by a Muslim.

When I saw this topic, I thought "What a stupid topic, no one is going to vote no", but when I get here I see that we do in fact have 41 disgusting people.

Can I ask the 41 who pressed the 'No' button if they would vote for an atheist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    I know you don't technically vote for Prime Ministers but fo your local MP, but if the leader of the party you support was a Muslim, would you vote for him to be Prime Minister?
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    The fact that some people would vote against their political beliefs on the sole basis of a single person being a Muslim, as if somehow being Muslim made someone unfit or incompetent or somehow a lesser person than all the past leaders this country has is absolutely disgusting. You should be ashamed. I say that as a secularist who demands that all political leaders keep their faith separate from their politics. David 'Christian Country' Cameron included.
    Well, it isn't unfathomable why this situation occurs. Just on TSR for example, we have religious extremists who hide behind the label of "I'm a normal Muslim" or "I'm just a practicing Muslim", and these people go unchallenged by other Muslims. This obviously results in a warped image of Muslims on TSR, as these people portray themselves as representing all practicing Muslims and for some people on TSR, these people are their only contact with Muslims. I think more Muslims need to speak up against extremist Muslims on TSR and show that these extreme Muslims do not represent all Muslims,

And whilst I would like this country to be secular, there are still vestiges of religion that remain, such as the bishops in the Houses of Lords.

ReputationRep:
    My political beliefs are against Islam.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would, I would vote for them based on what they stand for politically, not based on their religion, gender, skin or what their favourite colour is. Whatever their religious belief (Christan, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, Sikh etc) even if they forced to implement it, it can't and won't take affect without going through Parliament and it sitting well with the public.

ReputationRep:
    Never
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    I also don't understand why people would want the Muslim to not practice their religious practices. You can be a practising catholic/Christian etc and still run a country without imposing your own religion on everyone.

Now we have a cabinet. It's difficult to pass legislation if others in the government disagree with it. As for not allowing personal views in..do you think a PM is really that impartial? It might not be religious policies but without significant social pressure, they will lean towards ideals which match their own.

ReputationRep:
    if they were very wetsernised maybe, but given the PEW research stats on the opinions of muslims on things like womens rights, gays , honor killings, freedom of speech , other religions , british values etc i highly doubt theyd be liberal enough for my tastes

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.